Quantcast

Downieville Area Weekend

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So this past weekend was the first Downieville trip of 2006 for me and it was friggin' killer. Drove up and camped Friday night, then did SBTS Epic No. 6 on Saturday:

http://www.sierratrails.org/pages/events.html

The first part of the ride was a gorgeous rolling singletrack along the Yuba river. Conditions were perfect: No dust, lots of fresh green all around, beautiful moist dirt, exposed rock. No extended climbing but a lot of short ups and downs along with fantastic views, some techy climbing, some exposure.

I ended up in no man's land for a while after waiting for a friend with a mechanical and then working my way through the bunch. At one point I was riding alone and came around an uphill bend, then got stopped short by a rattling rattlesnake in the middle of the trail that was coiling up ready to strike...it was a slow blind turn and I didn't see it until I was about a foot away. I almost back-pedaled off the hill! After it cruised away I could see it was easily a 4 footer. No bites.

About 1/4 mile later, one of the ride guides stopped us short when he spotted a large bald eagle cruising up the river. We watched in awe as it came to roost in a tall pine over the water. It ain't everyday that I see a rattlesnake and a bald eagle on a ride!!

After the halfway point we did a brutal acsent that climbed around 2,000 feet in two miles. Lots of loose rocky switchbacks and relentless steep pitches that went on forever. It hurt. A lot. Then we rode a rolling ridge line with killer views for a while before dropping back to the start point via a super tasty, long singletrack descent. After a freezing cold dip in the river, much food, beer, and typical camp silliness ensued.

The next day we rode up First Divide and Third Divide, then down Second Divide. I found First Divide surprisingly fun to ride up and Third to be not as bad as I expected. It still hurt, especially near the top, but having only ridden down these trails before I expected more pain.

Over the course of the weekend I also got to meet Sanjuro, only we didn't realize it until today.

Sorry no pics. But for those of you who ride up there regularly, don't wait for the shuttles to Packer Saddle to open. There is plenty of fantastic riding up there right now. Spring is here!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The first time I rode up to Third, I was really sick, so a friend on his Yeti DH9 and I rode up Lavanzolla Road. I still prefer to ride the road rather than lower 1st Divide, but since upper 1st is pretty flat, I ride that.

Good to meet you, OG, and the rest of your buddies. Tell Jon I have a crush on him.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
The lower trails are in pretty nice shape right now. I was out there the weekend before and did the same ride you did on sunday.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Sounds like a great trip. So are the trails prime? I'm planning on making another trip down there in late June. Downieville is a lot of fun...I just won't make the mistake of taking a DH rig there this time though...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Monkeybidnezz said:
Sounds like a great trip. So are the trails prime? I'm planning on making another trip down there in late June. Downieville is a lot of fun...I just won't make the mistake of taking a DH rig there this time though...
Yeah for me conditions are the best up there just after the snow melts, mainly because there is very little dust and things aren't as loose as they will be when everything dries up. The stuff we rode is perfect right now.

And yeah, I like a 5" or 6" inch travel rig with fairly burly tires up there.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Monkeybidnezz said:
there's still alot of snow up high and my guess is that it's going to be will into june or maybe even july before they start running the shuttle

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dfinn said:
there's still alot of snow up high and my guess is that it's going to be will into june or maybe even july before they start running the shuttle
I don't think it will be as long as that. We were at about 5000 feet, and it was summer there. I heard June as the shuttling start date.

But you went up on the half-priced shuttles last year, while there was snow at Packer. I saw some snow around mid June, but that was it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dfinn said:
Yeah we rode up from town. I should have clarified that the road to Packer Saddle is not open yet so the shuttles are not running and you can't drive up to where the shuttles usually drop you off. We didn't see any snow at the top of Third Divide. We were too knackered to ride up Butcher Ranch but were told there are still some patches of snow blocking parts of the trail 'til about 1/4 of the way down.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
what elevation is bassets at? There's still snow just barely up the road from there, the road they use for shuttling.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
The first time I rode up to Third, I was really sick, so a friend on his Yeti DH9 and I rode up Lavanzolla Road. I still prefer to ride the road rather than lower 1st Divide, but since upper 1st is pretty flat, I ride that.

Good to meet you, OG, and the rest of your buddies. Tell Jon I have a crush on him.
To bad I had to go to jew camp that weekend.

And fang PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the gay **** in the city were it belongs, if you don't I'm going to have to get scot and jason to Tbag your sorry ass.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Cool thanks for the heads up guys. I think late June should be good then. Packer Saddle was a great ride, and I would hate to go all the way there and not be able to ride it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
TheMontashu said:
To bad I had to go to jew camp that weekend.

And fang PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep the gay **** in the city were it belongs, if you don't I'm going to have to get scot and jason to Tbag your sorry ass.

Sanjuro's comment was an inside joke, and a pretty dang funny one. I hope yours is a joke too but I am probably giving you too much credit.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Sanjuro's comment was an inside joke, and a pretty dang funny one. I hope yours is a joke too but I am probably giving you too much credit.
Naah, he is just kidding. He and I have gone to Downieville together, and I even got him a job at my shop. Please do not give me negative feedback for hiring him.