Quantcast

Downieville Classic 2006

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Well I am getting pretty stoked for this weekend. Last year this time we had the pleasure of seeing Paul B get it done at Crankworx but this year will be a little more low key.

My son Christian and I preroad the coarse on Sunday for his 13th Birthday(his choice of activites).

It may be the funest riding I have experienced, up there with A line for just plain long flowing fun. It was 110 at the bottom which was a little brutal, but the top was amazing and 20 degrees cooler.

Commencal will have 5 riders in the DH race Saturday and 3 in the XC on Sunday and hopefully my man Omar(Endo):thumb: in the jump competion into the river. Cedric Gracia's Commencal Team 1 Teammate Remy Absolon has just arrived and will do his best to give Mark Weir some competion(5 time winner and good guy). It should be a good race with several locals vying for the top spot including Henry ODonnel who was looking fast at Sonoma.

With Remy and I in the race we have a chance to post the fastest and slowest times of the day.

Come by and say hello if you can make it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The best Super-D rider will make time during the Classic. I am curious to see how the dh riders do...

Peddler

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
Auburn, CA
Ok Remy was not the fastest and I was not the slowest. Remy posted a respectable 41 minutes on his Commencal Meta 5 while I had 1:12 minutes which I thought was plenty fast except for those hills they put in the middle of a perect 14 mile DH run.

Next year i am going to be brave and run clips, this year I was to afraid of falling down the cliff into the river(that would be the best case senario). I tabled my Supreme DH after the practice run on Sunday and switched to the Meta 5.4($1999 Retail Complete) I threw on a shorter stem and ran Kenda DH tubes and tires after my 3rd practice pinch flat.

Christian was the youngest rider on the mountian and made me proud with a 1:03 for 9th of 23 in the 12-18 class and that was with no water as his delivery sytem failed(thanks course volunteers for the sport drink on the fire road).

Jackson Pulsifer celebrated a 4th on his Meta 4.2 in his 1st classic with a 51 in sport right after Brian Durling on his Supreme 6 for a 49in Expert for 13th.

Remy had a bit more trouble with the cross country finishing 34th with a 2:18 followed by Dez Wilder with a 2:30 in Expert on his SuperNormal hardtail for 15th. Curtis survived a cramping episode on his Meta 5.2 and finished with a 3:01 in Sport.

We had no mechanicals not even a flat. Everyone racing and running the race was great and it is truly an awesome event. Next year we will try to bring the whole Commencal USA Team just because it was so much fun. (Sanjay, better start hill training) Remy was impressed with the race and was talking about next year before the race even started.

[un]

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bernal Heights, SF
Hey Clark, It was nice to meet you and see the whole Commencal USA crew represent up-there. Also thanks for helping those Frenchies discover one of the nicest single of Northern California... It made me feel less lonely :rolleyes: Next year maybe Anne Caro along with Remy?