Quantcast

Downieville Question

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I am heading driving to Downieville this summer from Seattle. I am only able to bring one bike. What would you bring if you were me, 2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer (6 inch) or 2007 Kona Stab Supreme (8 inch)? Any help is appreciated.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Definitely the Slayer. There's a good amount of pedaling/climbing involved.
My problem is that I can only bring one bike and we are going to be riding at northstar later on in the week. I would prefer to bring the big bike. So, I am wondering how much pedaling should I expect at Downieville?

Any help is appreciated.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The answer is if you plan on doing just runs down from Packer, you can push up the 600' foot climb in the middle, and pedal the flat sections ok on a big bike. But a big bike is overkill for D'ville.

But N* is a different animal. I rode my Enduro and my VP-Free there, and it was pretty obvious what bike I should use.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
A big bike can be good @ D'Ville as long as you don't do XC rides on it (duh). Stick to the DH course which is Sunrise/Butcher's Ranch/3rd divide/2nd Divide. You will be huffing and puffing on the climb and flat sections, but there is some rough stuff that you will be stoked on. Plenty of poeple have done the climb on a 8" bike w/ a single 38.

A while back Tahoe Mike almost beat Weir on the DH w/ a 40+ lb Karpiel!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
My problem is that I can only bring one bike and we are going to be riding at northstar later on in the week. I would prefer to bring the big bike. So, I am wondering how much pedaling should I expect at Downieville?

Any help is appreciated.
That changes things. Bring your big bike and stick to Butchers, 3rd Divide and 1st Divide. Don't bother with 2nd Divide, Pauly Creek or Big Boulder.