Quantcast

Downieville questions

Dirtface

Chimp
May 22, 2005
Austin, Texas
Flying out there from Texas and need some questions answered...

1. Will be driving to Downieville from Chico, what is the best route to get there? And how long is the drive.

2. Are there several trails or one main epic trail?

3. Headed to Tahoe after Downieville. Should I stay in Downieville for the night or head to Tahoe? I am not camping.

Thanks y'all and feel free to give me more advice. :help:

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
#1. For the most part, Mapquest's route looks decent. HWY 99 is the only major highway of that route so you could spend more time and go as far south as Live Oak on 99.

#2. Downieville is 3 trails. I'd recommend doing some web searches to find a map / route or stop by a local bike shop.

#3. Depends on whether you'd rather party and gamble in south lake or hangout in the middle of nowhere?

Good luck

Dirtface

Chimp
May 22, 2005
Austin, Texas
I grew in Nor Cal and Tahoe is a place I miss a lot. I'll definitely partake in the nightlife Tahoe has to offer. I can't wait to get there.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
When are you flying out?
I hope not soon since Downieville is under snow right now. Good luck with the trip. I would rather stay the night in Tahoe, but D-Ville does have some lodging available, and some really nice people.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
sapdesigns #3. Depends on whether you'd rather party and gamble in south lake or hangout in the middle of nowhere? [/QUOTE said:
I think he was talking about driving to North Lake (not SLT), but I'm not sure. That would make more sense from D-Ville, since it is north of Truckee.

Dirtface

Chimp
May 22, 2005
Austin, Texas
matt12 said:
When are you flying out?
I hope not soon since Downieville is under snow right now. Good luck with the trip. I would rather stay the night in Tahoe, but D-Ville does have some lodging available, and some really nice people.
Not until July 4th.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Dirtface said:
Not until July 4th.
if you're thinking of spending july 4th in Tahoe, you better book now. One of the craziest times of the year. seriously. so i would say don't stay in tahoe. there will be far too many people.

i try to get out of town for that weekend.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
sapdesigns said:
#2. Downieville is 3 trails. I'd recommend doing some web searches to find a map / route or stop by a local bike shop.
Good luck
Downieville is 3 trails if you live and die by the shuttle. There are at least 10 trails near town, with a bunch of variations so you never see the same dirt in a hundred miles.

Packer Saddle is the starting point when you do shuttle. Heading down via 3rd Divide is the classic route, but you can also do 2nd Divide for more a XC feel. I like going via Pauley, which is the XC race course but is as technical as the DH.

I recommend Yuba Expeditions. Here is their link to some of the trails: http://yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/maps/downievillemaps.html

sapdesigns said:
#3. Depends on whether you'd rather party and gamble in south lake or hangout in the middle of nowhere?
Would you rather hang with a bunch of mountain bikers, swim in the river, consume good food and drink, and camp in one of the most beautiful places ever? (that would be D'Ville)

Or do you hang with some granny tourists, rich farts on their boats, and locals who hate out-of-towners? (that would be South Lake Tahoe)

sapdesigns

Chimp
Dec 22, 2004
nor cal / sc
sanjuro said:
Downieville is 3 trails if you live and die by the shuttle. There are at least 10 trails near town, with a bunch of variations so you never see the same dirt in a hundred miles.

Packer Saddle is the starting point when you shuttle. Heading down via 3rd Divide is the classic route, but you can also do 2nd Divide for more a XC feel. I like going via Pauley, which is the XC race course but is as technical as the DH.

I recommend Yuba Expeditions. Here is their link to some of the trails: http://yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/maps/downievillemaps.html

Would you rather hang with a bunch of mountain bikers, swim in the river, consume good food and drink, and camp in one of the most beautiful places ever? (that would be D'Ville)

Or do you hang with some granny tourists, rich farts on their boats, and locals who hate out-of-towners? (that would be South Lake Tahoe)
I am silenced. Couldn't have put it better. Just depends on what you like. Personally, I need to change my granny diaper.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
dooood. you so can't crash at my house anymore.
Maybe I can go into Sports Ltd and ask where can a Bay Area person find a free hook-up? Right after they tell me where Chinese Downhill is...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
Maybe I can go into Sports Ltd and ask where can a Bay Area person find a free hook-up? Right after they tell me where Chinese Downhill is...
ha ha. if you want to hear about out of town hate.
so sanjuro walks into LTD and says, "Hi! I'm from the bay area. I'm going to ride jackie chans!".

maybe chans got closed down by that guy just so no one from out of town could ride it any more.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
so sanjuro walks into LTD and says, "Hi! I'm from the bay area. I'm going to ride jackie chans!".

That's pretty funny. I'd do that up here but I know too many people in the bike shops.....it wouldn't work.

Speaking of LTD, you ever met an obnoxious alcoholic by the name of olsen?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
That's pretty funny. I'd do that up here but I know too many people in the bike shops.....it wouldn't work.

Speaking of LTD, you ever met an obnoxious alcoholic by the name of olsen?
you can give it a try down here. the shops LOVE when people rent downhill bikes to ride their super secret trails. then post how awesome the super secret trail was on mtbr.

is olsen the guy with the longer hair? works at the LTD over by Raleys?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:

maybe chans got closed down by that guy just so no one from out of town could ride it any more.
I rented a Coiler and bought a full-face from LTD. As he rings me up, I am making small talk with the bike manager, and he asks me where I am riding, Toad's possibly?

I say Jackie Chan's, and he becomes livid. "Who Told You About Jackie Chan's?" I pointed to my friends and I say, "The people who live down the street from you." Then I have to hear a lecture about locals-only, secret trail, and how it was leaked on the internet. This is a trail that starts at a USFS gate on a main road and ends at Burger King on Lake Tahoe Blvd. Real secret.

I remember you and Ben were angrier than I was. For me, it was either rent a bike from them or don't ride. Of course, I haven't been back...

P.S. I never mentioned I wasn't from Lake Tahoe. How did he guess?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro said:
I say Jackie Chan's, and he becomes livid. "Who Told You About Jackie Chan's?" I pointed to my friends and I say, "The people who live down the street from you." Then I have to hear a lecture about locals-only, secret trail, and how it was leaked on the internet. This is a trail that starts at a USFS gate on a main road and ends at Burger King on Stateline. Real secret.
it was a good example of how some people like to keep "their" trails to themselves. that guy must have hated out of towners more than anyone, because i usually just let that kind of hate build up on the inside.

At least you got to ride the trail before it closed.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
sanjuro said:
Then I have to hear a lecture about locals-only, secret trail, and how it was leaked on the internet. This is a trail that starts at a USFS gate on a main road and ends at Burger King on Lake Tahoe Blvd. Real secret.
Oh please god tell me you remember enough about the guy to describe him to me. I have to do a repeat with every freakin illegal trail I know about. I'm goin in a full speedo-tard and buying goo shots while I ask him.

amy: yeah that's olsen. Believe it or not that guy is one of the fastest dhers in cali. Won semipro sea otter last year (yeah his fatass pedals) He's one of the guys I ride the pinenuts with every once in a while.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
kidwoo said:
Oh please god tell me you remember enough about the guy to describe him to me. I have to do a repeat with every freakin illegal trail I know about. I'm goin in a full speedo-tard and buying goo shots while I ask him.

amy: yeah that's olsen. Believe it or not that guy is one of the fastest dhers in cali. Won semipro sea otter last year (yeah his fatass pedals) He's one of the guys I ride the pinenuts with every once in a while.
He's white, stupid-looking, uh, did I say white?

Ask Amy, she might see him around town.

But we should go into together, and I will play the really annoying Bay Area resident: owns a vacation home in Tahoe, thinks all the locals are hicks, demands immediate service.

Believe or not, I can be very annoying...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
it was a good example of how some people like to keep "their" trails to themselves. that guy must have hated out of towners more than anyone, because i usually just let that kind of hate build up on the inside.

At least you got to ride the trail before it closed.
I couldn't ride 75% of Chan's but it was good ride. I can ride most of it now, but mtbr blew it for me...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
i haven't seen him at the shop. which is too bad. because that would be a sight to see. i do have a friend paul at the LTD on the other side of town who might get equally as pissed off if you did a repeat.

kidwoo said:
yeah that's olsen. Believe it or not that guy is one of the fastest dhers in cali. Won semipro sea otter last year (yeah his fatass pedals) He's one of the guys I ride the pinenuts with every once in a while.
i've seen him out and about at Xmas Valley. We have mutual acquaintances but never ridden together. I know he's ridden with Andy Hilliard a bunch who I used to ride with until he moved to southern california.

I bought shock oil at the shop once and he called n* "the star" and it made me giggle. as in, "you hitting up the star tomorrow?"

As for pinenuts..... I still have no idea where to ride down there. I do the same xc loop. I have no idea where to go. You should draw me up a map sometime.

sanjuro said:
Believe or not, I can be very annoying
you don't say.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
I bought shock oil at the shop once and he called n* "the star" and it made me giggle. as in, "you hitting up the star tomorrow?"

As for pinenuts..... I still have no idea where to ride down there. I do the same xc loop. I have no idea where to go. You should draw me up a map sometime.
Definitely the bro brah.

I was going to go down there this weekend but...............looks kinda white out right now. You getting snow in carson?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
Definitely the bro brah.

I was going to go down there this weekend but...............looks kinda white out right now. You getting snow in carson?

How are the roads up there?

I need some powderage brah

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
the snow from the other day still hasn't really melted down here. and it's snowing now and starting to accumulate. a bit of a bummer. but it looks like next week it may warm up and melt some of it away.
you have my #? if you don't mind me tagging along sometime, i wouldn't mind exploring if you head out this way.

chicodude said:
I need some powderage brah
bro. the pow pow might not be worth the trouble this weekend. too many people. shaaaaa.

or head to the north shore. i hear they never have traffic up there.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
amydalayna said:
bro. the pow pow might not be worth the trouble this weekend. too many people. shaaaaa.

or head to the north shore. i hear they never have traffic up there.

I'm not worrried about teh people, mostly because Boarding is just a pleasant bonus for me going to reno this weekend.

I just need to ease the 'rents mind about letting me bomb up there.

Dirtface

Chimp
May 22, 2005
Austin, Texas
What I wanted to do was a day in D'ville and 3 in Tahoe. D'ville is the kind of atmosphere I want for eating, drinkin' and snoozin' but I don't think I could drive back to D'ville each day after riding Tahoe. Could I?

Tahoe rates are outrageous and if I stay in that area I will have to stay in Truckee. I'd like to camp but since I am coming from Texas on a plane, I am not taking all my camping crap out there.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Dirtface said:
What I wanted to do was a day in D'ville and 3 in Tahoe. D'ville is the kind of atmosphere I want for eating, drinkin' and snoozin' but I don't think I could drive back to D'ville each day after riding Tahoe. Could I?

Tahoe rates are outrageous and if I stay in that area I will have to stay in Truckee. I'd like to camp but since I am coming from Texas on a plane, I am not taking all my camping crap out there.
You wouldn't want to. You could always stay in Nevada city.

Lemme know when you get to chico

Dirtface

Chimp
May 22, 2005
Austin, Texas
Nevada City is kinda far. Truckee is closer.

chicodude...I am going to ride a couple days in Chico, the North Rim and the Hwy. 32 thingy (which I missed last time). I am going to rent a bike out there that has more travel than my Santa Cruz.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Dirtface said:
Nevada City is kinda far. Truckee is closer.

chicodude...I am going to ride a couple days in Chico, the North Rim and the Hwy. 32 thingy (which I missed last time). I am going to rent a bike out there that has more travel than my Santa Cruz.

Nevada city is closer to downieville. But yea, We'll have to meet up and ride next time