Quantcast

Downieville Report

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
My wife and I had the pleasure of riding Downieville yesterday (5-29) and I must say conditions have never been better. The shuttle van couldn't make it quite all the way to the top due to snow, but in the next few days this shouldn't be an issue. There were a few short portages on the road down to Butcher's Ranch and a couple on the first part of the trail but they weren't really any big deal. I was surprised that the water crossing were about the same as they are later in the year, I expected a lot more water on the trail than there was. The trail was just awesome, perfect traction and no dust. The weather couldn't have been better either, everything was as close to perfect as it gets. I hadn't been up to Downieville this early in the year before and I can't recommend strongly enough that you check it out before it gets hot and dusty. As usual Yuba Expeditions is a class act, good vibes from the guys at the shop, Greg always smiling, good tunes in the van on the way up, the shuttle driver loaning out tools and tubes to those in need, and even Ferrentino seemed less grumpy than usual. These guys established Downieville as the destination that it is, and still provide the best service in town. Greg is expecting his fist child any day now yet still seemed as mellow as ever. Big thanks to Yuba Expeditions for everything they have done and continue to do for all us mountain bikers who love the area. There are some new trails being cleared as well, I hear they are more DH orientated. Keep your eyes open for these to open near the end summer.

And now for a few photos

Unloading the van

D

dwnwrd

Ha. I think I may have took the shuttle with you. Gotta run now, but here are my pics of the shuttle van. :)

Run 1

Attachments

D

dwnwrd

haha now that I actually have more than 10 seconds to sit here, I can see that's me standing in front of the van in your pic. :) i guess i even spoke to you a couple times.

We ran into each other here too.

Attachments

dvo

Chimp
May 31, 2004
i was in the van with you all this weekend for at least one of the trips up, i was the guy with the rm6. i camped up on the saddle sat. night and heading down the trail at 6 am sunday for some fresh tracks. the snow is a small inconvenience that grows smaller by the day ( except for the way out to pauley creek trail, some guys from santa cruz went that way on the 2 pm shuttle sat. and did not get in until 7 or so due to an hour+ snow hike!).

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
I made a day-trip today (Monday) up to D-ville. The shuttles were running all the way to the top, and the whole course was ridable. Amazing how quickly the snow is melting.

The conditions were fantastic today. Next week will probably be the last week of the perfect trails - before the dry dust begins to really show up.

Enjoy!
-B

D

dwnwrd

Originally posted by Internal14
but inquiering minds want to know......didja hurl in the shuttle truck again?:eek: :cool:
No!! I hurled on the way up 49 in the morning. :dead: :D

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Originally posted by 1soulrider
Yep, thats my wife sorting her gear in the second photo. We only got one run in but it was well worth the trip.
I think I was on the noon shuttle w/you. You have the grey FXR?
Me and my girlfriend were sitting in front of you on the shuttle, I think. You two burned and then went down Greg's trail? I was on the black Bullit, my g/f had the sh!t brown Iron horse.

DWNWRD,
Was that your bro on the Ventana that flatted when we caught up with you?

Originally posted by MVRIDER
I think I was on the noon shuttle w/you. You have the grey FXR?
Me and my girlfriend were sitting in front of you on the shuttle, I think. You two burned and then went down Greg's trail? I was on the black Bullit, my g/f had the sh!t brown Iron horse.

DWNWRD,
Was that your bro on the Ventana that flatted when we caught up with you?

I'll answer for him.....yes.

That's "Wrecken Ryan" on the Ventana(man that bike needs to die) it's an old El Ratador....er I mean Matador from like 96 or something. It just keeps getting reincarnated into a newbies first DH bike....

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by BRacing
I made a day-trip today (Monday) up to D-ville. The shuttles were running all the way to the top, and the whole course was ridable. Amazing how quickly the snow is melting.

The conditions were fantastic today. Next week will probably be the last week of the perfect trails - before the dry dust begins to really show up.

Enjoy!
-B

I regret not going on Sunday...even with some snow at the top I bet most of the trails would've been in perfect condition. Oh well, hopefully I'll get a chance to make many trips up there.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Originally posted by Acadian
just blame it on me..:rolleyes:

Nah...I still had the option of going. I've just become a little too spoiled with the Cali weather.

Sushi and Beer plus working on the bikes still made it for a great day.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Originally posted by Internal14
I'll answer for him.....yes.

That's "Wrecken Ryan" on the Ventana(man that bike needs to die) it's an old El Ratador....er I mean Matador from like 96 or something. It just keeps getting reincarnated into a newbies first DH bike....
Ahh, the family heirloom huh?:D Hey, whatever gets you down the hill, right? Sounds like he flatted more than once? When I pulled up to dwnwrd and told him his friend was walking he said " Again!?" I've been there, nothing will f a day up quicker than a bunch of flats!:angry:

D

dwnwrd

That was you? Thanks a lot man. I'd puked like 30 minutes before that. :) I'll have to double up on the dramamine next time.

Yea, my poor bud went thru 2 tubes and one repump on that run not to mention chain issues on the first run.

After getting up at 4:30am and 2 runs with a 5 min break and no lunch in between, I went home and slept for 12 hours! It was worth it though. :)

mmmm 2 weeks to N* :)

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Dude, there sure was a crowd up there this weekend! I was wondering who else posted on here. I saw DVO cruising back down to the shuttle on Sunday morning (I think) on that red RM6. Anyway, my girlfriend and I thought Downieville rocked! The big bikes were overkill, but I got some good top speed going! Here are some pictures:

Attachments

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Those trails were damn smooth!

Hopefully we can make it back up there, maybe introduce ourselves to some of you guys.

By the way, we are trying to make it out to Pacifica to ride on Thursday evening, around 6. Hopefully we will run into someone who knows the trails and could show us around.

Attachments

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Ronny - was that you and your GF on Monday? We were the group of 3 guys that met you near the top - you lent me the allen to try to get my Hayes brake lever adjusted.

-B

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah man, that was us, we had a blast up there! I am glad you got your brake dialed in. We rode up there on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, it was a great weekend for sure. On my first run Saturday one of my seat post bolts sheared in half at the top of the trail, I had to ride the whole way down with no seat! Here is a shot from up top.

Attachments

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Ronny

I got the brake adjusted, but by the time I rode another 50 yards, the lever was to the handlebar again. The ride was still good, and tested my skills by only using the front brake.

Time to rebuild the hayes.

-B

dvo

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Originally posted by Ronny Grady
Dude, there sure was a crowd up there this weekend! I was wondering who else posted on here. I saw DVO cruising back down to the shuttle on Sunday morning (I think) on that red RM6. Anyway, my girlfriend and I thought Downieville rocked! The big bikes were overkill, but I got some good top speed going! Here are some pictures:
that was me, i camped up on packer saddle sat. night ( thanks to the yuba guys for dialing me in on the quiet campsite ) , woke up at 5 am and was at the top ready to drop in around 6:15 or so........fresh tracks baby!!!

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
my take is with a big bike you will be faster on the first 4 or 5 miles, then much slower on the last 10 miles or so where you have to pedal and things are relatively flatter with some uphill. If your 40+ pound can be pedaled, then you will have fun. If you are into making the fastest overall time down the mountain, an XC bike would probably be faster.

By the way 2nd divide is MUCH more suited to XC than Third Divide (those are two options for the middle 1/3 of the trail)

I personally like to go faster in the rough sections and then take my time when the trail levels out. The big bike was fun.:D

Johnny

Chimp
May 20, 2004
East Bay
Thanks for the reply Ronny. I actually read your previous post this morning where you mentioned this. :)

Originally posted by Ronny Grady
<snip> The big bikes were overkill, but I got some good top speed going! <snip>
But, I guess it's time to invest in a new and lighter DH bike. :devil:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
IMO your best bet is an Enduro or similarly designed bike.

4-6" travel, disk brakes, active suspension, and good pedaling

The above will allow the greatest level of enjoyment of all that D-ville has to offer.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
are reservations for the shuttle neccesary or can you just show up. I'm planning on heading up sunday morning.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Originally posted by dfinn
are reservations for the shuttle neccesary or can you just show up. I'm planning on heading up sunday morning.
I'd make a reservation. They'll take you with out one if they have room, but it can get pretty crowded as the summer gets into full swing.

Johnny

Chimp
May 20, 2004
East Bay
Originally posted by Damn True
IMO your best bet is an Enduro or similarly designed bike.

4-6" travel, disk brakes, active suspension, and good pedaling

The above will allow the greatest level of enjoyment of all that D-ville has to offer.
You should have told me that when I bought the RM7WS last year from you guys. ;)

But, no worries. I'll be back soon.

Edit: I am assuming that you work at TrailHead, since you have a link to their website. If you don't, never mind then. :D

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
Just got back from Downieville. We did 2 runs today. Pauley to 2nd to 1st and Butcher to 3rd to 1st.

Shuttles went all the way up. No snow on pauley at all. Very minimal snow patches on a couple parts of butcher that you could easily ride through.

Great time!