Quantcast

Downieville Ride this Sunday @ The Hub!!

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It has been confirmed by Yuba Ex, the shuttles are open! We are meeting at The Hub at 8am and caravaning up to Downieville for two or three shuttles-whatever your legs can take-and then dinner afterward in town before returning home in the evening. All are welcome. Any questions? Email me at norcalhub.com-store info or call me at 916-771-4821. Downieville babay!!!! Yeah!:pirate2:

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
Wish i could make it but no ride for me for another week or so surgery sucks.. have fun guys Dville is so fun this time of the year..

cant wait to hear how it is up there..

Marc

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Office job: Friday 8-5, bike shop from 5-10.
Saturday: Off.
Sunday: bike shop from 9-5.

With that said, I can't do this coming weekend, the 19th/20th. But I can do the following Saturday, the 26th. Our plans are pretty firmly placed, so I think I'll be up there on the 26th, hopefully for two runs.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
Should we be making reservations or is someone going to take a head count here and do one big group reservation? So far in our group we have:

confirmed:
Myself
Morethanjake543
freerdr4lf

possible:
Plus 2 riders (kyle and charlie)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
It is free, but the locals really do not appreciate it. It's how they make their money in that town.

Pay the $15 for one, or $30 for two, shuttle(s). Support your local DH/XC biking business in Downieville!

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Hey Guys, I 'm trying to firm up the numbers for Sunday to secure the shuttles. Right now I have both shuttles at 11 am and 2pm and a third for those with the legs to hang at 4-5ish. The shuttles only hold 10 folks at a time so we need to know for sure who's in and who's out. Sound off!! Thanks y'all.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Lucky all you guys stayed out of my way today. Me and my VP-Free railed the trails.

Good times for everyone!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Tell me some details! I'm leaving at 6:00am on Saturday to get up there by around 9 or 10, for my 11:00am shuttle.

Is it wet? What's the trail conditions? Dusty? Good? Bad? (Haha... as if Downieville could ever be bad. Pshaw!)

Lay it on me!

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
there is still a little bit of snow up on the top, nothing unmanageable. the weather was really nice. after a branch attacked my bike i also found out that the highway down to sierra city is also quite a nice ride!

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I can't thank the guys at the Hub enough for showing me around up there. I had a blast! The riding was good, the climbing was okay, the trails seemed epic, and the food at the end was perfect (then again, what wouldn't be?).

I'm not sure how dusty this place usually is, but it wasn't all that bad. I kept some goggles on most of the time, but to be fair, a good two seconds between riders was enough time for the dust to settle.

Like connundrum said, there is a bit of snow up top. However, it's only in small patches for the first mile on the trail. There are actually parts on the trail where you'll be riding down a stream of ice-runoff.

The lead up to the trail head has lots of snow in on it, but it's not more than a few minutes worth of pushing.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
following up on what morethanjake said, it was an amazing ride. the climbing wasn't too fun because we're not used to it but that just means we need to get back into shape.

A huge thanks to the crew of the Hub for showing us around and finally giving us a chance to get up there. we have been meaning to for awhile now but never got around to it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The thing about Butcher Ranch-3rd Divide-1st Divide run is that is more than just a dh run. There is a lot of climbing and good handling skills are required, not just a huckspinner.

I rarely take my VP-Free for the downhill, but I enjoy the higher speeds and the more aggressive lines a big bike affords me. But there are a lot of other trails, like Pauley Creek, Big Boulder, and 2nd Divide; that would kill me pushing a dh bike around. Obviously a 30lb 6 inch all mountain bike is built specifically for this place.

Despite the little bit of snow, the trails are in great shape. In a few more weeks, the snow will be gone and the runoff will dwindle to a trickle, and more and more people will be riding these trails. Usually this is when I plan on riding some of the less popular trails which require a lot more pedalling and I prefer my lighter bike then.

No matter what kind of bike you run, if you are not careful, you will be slamming into a tree or flying off the edge, literally. Forget something stupid like gloves or a pump and you are asking for it. But if you can handle all of this, there is nothing like Butcher and the Divides.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Carbon fiber knuckled gloves for me (Specialized Fortress), DH casing Chunder tires, DH/thorn proof tubes, AND an extra tube and pump in my Camelbak.

*bling bling*

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
that was an awesome epic ride, i pushed my body farther than it should of gone. thanks a bunch to heath and the hub for the adventure.
SO MANY ROCKS!!
extra tubes are a must. but luckily nobody flatted, just tore their drivetrain off with a twig.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Man sounds like last weekend was the first for the year for many...sorry to have missed out, but I hope to be up there this weekend at some point. And yeah after years of riding up there I've found a dh casing rear tire on my heckler is about all I need to change up from my usual trail set-up. Anything more is fun in spots but pretty much an anchor on the climbs and flats - partly because I live at sea level and the elevation sucks the energy out of me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Man sounds like last weekend was the first for the year for many...sorry to have missed out, but I hope to be up there this weekend at some point. And yeah after years of riding up there I've found a dh casing rear tire on my heckler is about all I need to change up from my usual trail set-up. Anything more is fun in spots but pretty much an anchor on the climbs and flats - partly because I live at sea level and the elevation sucks the energy out of me.
Just drink a lot of tequila by a garbage can fire, and you will experience what your friends did in Downieville.

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
Sounds like you guys had a blast its hard not to at Dville that place is fun for all skill levels. yea and dh tubes are a must if you plan on getting after it fast on the rocks.

well me and jason and scott are heading up there this Saturday at around 4am or so we have a shuttle for 8am and for 2pm and then we are going to camp that night and roll home sunday morning.

i have space for 2 more in my truck if anyone wants to go. but like i said we are going to camp or we are going to try anyway. if we cant get a spot we will just roll home.

get back to me a.s.a.p if your intrested. morethenjake or freerider4life and conumdrum are you guys hitting up the next CHDH Byoung cant make it but there is still a few of us going..

oh yea by the way if you want in on the trip you need to call Yuba and put your name on the shuttle. and try to get the 8am and 2pm so we can all ride together...

Marc.

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
Cool sounds like there should be a good size group up there this saturday i hope we can all hook up at some point.

for anyother monkeys if your up in dville for the 8am or 2pm shuttle say whats up i will be on a yellow and black rm7 with a 66front fork.

and my friend will be on a black elsworth.

Marc

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sounds like you guys had a blast its hard not to at Dville that place is fun for all skill levels. yea and dh tubes are a must if you plan on getting after it fast on the rocks.

well me and jason and scott are heading up there this Saturday at around 4am or so we have a shuttle for 8am and for 2pm and then we are going to camp that night and roll home sunday morning.

i have space for 2 more in my truck if anyone wants to go. but like i said we are going to camp or we are going to try anyway. if we cant get a spot we will just roll home.

get back to me a.s.a.p if your intrested. morethenjake or freerider4life and conumdrum are you guys hitting up the next CHDH Byoung cant make it but there is still a few of us going..

oh yea by the way if you want in on the trip you need to call Yuba and put your name on the shuttle. and try to get the 8am and 2pm so we can all ride together...

Marc.
What kinda' bikes are you guys riding?

I'll be there for the 11am and 3pm shuttle through Downieville Outfitters. I'll be on a red 7point3 frame, with a few other people (Brown Enduro, White Bullit, etc.)

We're leaving San Jose at 6am.:cheers:

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
i will be on a yellow and black rockymoutain rm7 and there will be a kona bear white and green and a elsworth joker .. we will most likely be having beed and pizza when you come out of your first run..

see ya.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Wow, super busy. It's been a while since I have been here. Thansk for the props guys, the ride was so fun. I love the way J drives the mini van-I mean the Porsche-good times. I think derailleur hanger will be my new addition to my camelback, it just happens too often to not carry one. The trip was super fun and you guys are hella funny...good times...more to come. See you at CHDH this Saturday eh? I'll watch for the tumbling tent.