Quantcast

Drifting on the DH bike clip.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
It'd be cooler if you kept your inside foot on the pedal.

I've been out pacticing flat corners a lot lately myself.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Nice work Dan, something to work on would be to keep both feet planted on the pedals. When you can weight your inside foot you can get a much longer drift going and it seems to be more controlled. Practice at first by skidding sideways, then let off the brake and see if you can recover. Remember to keep both feet on the pedals. The problem with only weighting the outside foot is that if your wheel stops rolling forward it will be alot easier to high side and tip over. Weighting the inside foot is key.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
heikkihall said:
Nice work Dan, something to work on would be to keep both feet planted on the pedals. When you can weight your inside foot you can get a much longer drift going and it seems to be more controlled. Practice at first by skidding sideways, then let off the brake and see if you can recover. Remember to keep both feet on the pedals. The problem with only weighting the outside foot is that if your wheel stops rolling forward it will be alot easier to high side and tip over. Weighting the inside foot is key.
Word,

I was doing a couple with the foot on the pedal, but slipped out and ate dirt. So now its like a safety thing. Tommorow I will get a clip with both feet on the pedals.

Dan

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
rockymt21 Tommorow I will get a clip with both feet on the pedals. Dan[/QUOTE said:
:thumb: sweet keep practicing. When or if you slide out (like me) then you get to practice rolling. Think of it as a bonus two for one kinda thing.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
Tommorow I will get a clip with both feet on the pedals.

Don't listen to 'em Dan, if you REALLY want to go as fast as possible around a corner,
take that foot off the inside pedal...gasp, even slide a little. Now work on getting that foot back on the pedal ASAP!

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
rockymt21 said:
You wanted it,

I delivered it. Kept the foot on, definetly feels more badass with the foot on cause you can lean further. Any more pointers? Right click, save as....

http://www.snowpics.net/view_single.php?medid=8450

Dan
Keep your feet level. What pedal is forward when hitting a jump? Now try cornering that way. It will feel wierd at first but get used to it. Another thing alot of people dont really think about when drifting is body position and what you are doing with your handlebars. Get forward and weight your inside shoulder and hand. It will make your front tire bite harder.
Have you seen fundamentals yet? Bryn and Peaty do a really good job of explaining this stuff at a few different points throughout the video.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Round two looked a lot better than round one. As heikki said get your weight over the front...this will not only allow you to dig the front tire in but if you do lose it...your rear tire will prob slide more than te front and you shouldn't eat it hard. Another pointer which you may already be doing is to look through the corner as far as you can and not touch the brakes. Combine that with the weight over the front and you should be able to rip that corner full speed :thumb:

edit...also I remembered you saying you were going over the front at bromont...as mickey suggested a longer stem will help. I swapped my 50mm for a 75mm before riding attitash this past weekend and it made a huge difference. Much better in the corners(more weight on the front wheel) and a better arm position for absorbing bumps while keeping weight a bit more forward.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I can testify that that's a good skill to have. I lost my right foot off the pedal when I landed the finish line drop at Deer Valley on Saturday. And was headed off to the right hand side of the finish line - ended up drifting the finish line with all the weight on my inside foot and just cleared the metal arch by a few inches and then managed to get my outside foot back on the pedal. Phew.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
heikkihall said:
Another thing alot of people dont really think about when drifting is body position and what you are doing with your handlebars.
your body needs lean more. if you slow the vid down you see your body is straight up. lean your body over

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
ekozy39 said:
your body needs lean more. if you slow the vid down you see your body is straight up. lean your body over
In a drift that is not necessarily true. Basically it depends on the specific corner whether its bermed, flat, loose, hardpack, wet, etc. Although on that specific corner it looks like you would want more lean in the first half of the corner when you start to pre-load the rear wheel and then level out just after the apex where the drift starts.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
heikkihall said:
In a drift that is not necessarily true. Basically it depends on the specific corner whether its bermed, flat, loose, hardpack, wet, etc. Although on that specific corner it looks like you would want more lean in the first half of the corner when you start to pre-load the rear wheel and then level out just after the apex where the drift starts.
I'm talking about leaning based on looking at the video of this specific corner.
either way he's drifting for all of .00002 seconds, the corner looks flat and drifting at all is going to scrub speed. he should just be railing the corner with no brakes.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Bicyclist said:
That was a pathetic e-insult.

He almost hurt my e-feelings.

Ill be cute and add a e-signature with a strange capitalized letter for an extra e-ffect.

-mAck

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Bicyclist said:
That was a pathetic e-insult.
Whats even more pathetic is you an mack sitting at your computers getting all giggly whenever you post one of your cute wannabe e-jokes. I don't see any pics or anything of you guys riding? Can you drif on ure schweet Specialized road bike?

Dan

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
ekozy39 said:
he should just be railing the corner with no brakes.
No offence to the rider, but that's exactly what he was doing. That was fast, aggressive and clean, but that's not really drifting. IME the only time you can really get "real" (useful/fast) drifts happening are when the surface is particularly loose (gravel/very loose dirt) or off-camber (and even then it's usually slower with off-camber stuff unless it's Eildon and your name is Sam Hill).

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Rik said:
It's not drifting unless you're on a Japanese import covered in performance mod stickers.

duh man, thats the only way to do it. plus the nos stickers are like 5 HP each. the decals are about 10 per 3 feet. i see those cars covered in stickers and im like damn, thats like 5000000 HP. woo weee :confused:

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
At least the guy is practicing right?
I was amazed how fast I go on my home trail by watching someone who goes the same speed do it. It looked really fast. I kind of go into slowmo when I ride, even when I'm right on someone's ass and they look fast, I feel slow. Wierd eh?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
thaflyinfatman said:
No offence to the rider, but that's exactly what he was doing. That was fast, aggressive and clean, but that's not really drifting. IME the only time you can really get "real" (useful/fast) drifts happening are when the surface is particularly loose (gravel/very loose dirt) or off-camber
What he said.
But either way good job and good practice. If you figure out how to edit movies cut away the 15 seconds at the beginning of that one. Keep up the woogd work even though I don't *think* that was drifting...