Quantcast

drilling my DHR

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
Hi, I would like to know if I'm about to drill my frame at the right place.I know it's a dumb question since I don't really see any other place where I could drill it but I just want to be sure. Also, if you have tips to to it well.
Thanks

Attachments

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Bit more complicated then just drilling a hole mate.

You will also need to dremel away some material around the swingarm/main frame area and also need to dremel away some material from the swing links. If you don't you will get some frame on frame contact, but thats up to you if you want to dremel away your $2500 frame

Also, if you had bothered to do a search, you would have found these

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106531&highlight=turner+drill

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112237&highlight=turner+drill

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112834&highlight=turner+drill

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151740&highlight=turner+drill

+ more.

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
I did the search but the only things tha come out is that a lot of people say it works and you say it doesn't, also, there's nowhere I see exactly where to drill the hole except on mtbr but I can't go on there.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
It does work, but its not as simple as drilling a hole. Like i say, if you don't dremel the frame and links it will be hitting.

Second post in this thread

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106531&highlight=turner+drill

leprechaun said:
Drill the hole with about 1mm of material between the old one and your new one,that's about the place Collin's was.Make sure there's at least 1 mm so if you go back to the original hole it will still be strong enough to support the bolt.
Krispy
Here is a pic i have

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not to dis-agree with what cave is saying but my '05' medium frame has clearance at the bb/main pivot area. It is VERY close but no mods needed there. You WILL need to grind either the link or the swing arm for clearance for sure!
Before you do anything, pull the shock and cycle the rear to find exactly where YOUR frame will need mods. I happen to have an extra rear, so that is what got modded.
BTW, the guys at turner gave me the 'OK' for this mod, as in 'will not void warranty for the rest of the frame' in fact they gave me advice as to where and how they do this when i asked, so it seems as if they semi-endorse it for what it is worth.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
zmtber said:
does drilling the DHR make a huge difference?
Drops BB to high 13" and slacken head angle to 64 degrees or so. Good for fast open world cup type tracks, would be a pig to ride in tight stuff.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
hehe, actually done perfect the HTA is right around 64, but the BB goes to 12.25"

and yes your red dot is in the right place

and yes you will have to file away some of that material on the swingarm and part of the dog bone link. You will see what i mean when you drill the hole, basically the more you file the dog bone link the farther back you can drill (your red dot is in the right place) and your dot is in the right place but you are gonna have to file the swing arm or you will get spring collar contact. Just drill away and you'll see what i mean.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
wasn't PUSH making a replacement linkage so we wouldn't have to drill our beautiful DHRs?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
toodles said:
wasn't PUSH making a replacement linkage so we wouldn't have to drill our beautiful DHRs?
I enquired about this a few months ago and they had abandoned the project.
I think that they just have too many things going at once as their newer product delivery times have gotten longer and longer (DHX mod etc). Although they did just purchace a CNC so that they could do this work in-house...

vincent

Monkey
Aug 22, 2004
Bromont, Quebec
So I did it tonight and I didn'nt have to go crazy with the dremel.... just shaved a litle piece out of my swingarm and it's pretty clean. I love the new geometry when I sit on the bike, I will test it tomorrow.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
It depends on where you drill. My bb is 13.6 with e.13 reducer cups and an 8" boxxer. Right where i want it.
It is most definitely NOT a pig on tight stuff, seeing as that is 75% of what i ride. Allthough being 6'3 and riding a medium probubly helps...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Rye_Bread said:
hehe, actually done perfect the HTA is right around 64, but the BB goes to 12.25"
Either you are measuring in inverse pinkbike inches or your ruler is wrong. And just so i've covered all bases you might also find downhilling with a judy TT appealing.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Has anyone manufactured their own, slightly shorter push link to slacken/lower the geo? I was going to make one up in the machine shop just to try. Any suggestions/thoughts? If the eye-to-eye on the push link is 5mm shorter will it cause any other probs?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
toodles said:
Has anyone manufactured their own, slightly shorter push link to slacken/lower the geo? I was going to make one up in the machine shop just to try. Any suggestions/thoughts? If the eye-to-eye on the push link is 5mm shorter will it cause any other probs?
You would still need to grid away part of the swingarm, check out my thread about it, i made one out of plastic and cycled it to check to see if things hit and it did. 3rd post down

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112834&highlight=turner+drill

You can see i still had at least 3/4 inch of shaft travel left at contact.

I would suggest you do the same, make a dodgy thing out of plastic/wood and see how it goes, keep and eye out for contact around the swingarm / main frame / bottom bracket area. It seems the 05 frames have a bit more clearance around that area, your frame might be ok.

I think you might also run the risk of the rate starting to go regressive at maximum bottom out as well, looks like the shorter link could actually start to let the shock move back out at maximum bottom out if you get what i mean.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
now i know this is a dumb question, but if u drilled your frame, couldn't you just switch the shock position, depending on the track/mtn? Also to be honest It'd be nice if you could send the frame back to turner for this, or have a written statement of sorts sayin that the warranty isn't going to be voided...just my 2cents

Rafael-DH

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Brazil
Bati said:
It was taken from a DHR at Fort William last May. Don't know about BB height or angles, but it's proben at Worlds racing...
This bike is from Nataniel Giacomozzi, Turner Brazil Pilot!
As he told me, this setup works better on high speed courses!
At least works for him!
I'm thinking in do the same on my frame