Quantcast

Drilling out Junior T Cartridges

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I'm sure it's been discussed before (but I couldn't find any), but has anyone drilled out the cartridges in a Marzocchi Junior T? If so, what is the procedure for doing it (how many holes? diameter? where in the cartridge?)? Also, how does the fork feel now after doing it? Has it lost the hydraulic lockout? By the way, I've got a 2002 Jr. T.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
hey there.. yah, it's been discussed and done. here's the old instructions that i keep in a text file just in case i ever decide to actually do it:
For those who are interested in drilling out their fork here is how it is done.

1- disassemble the fork and pull out the plastic pumping rods
2- find the circlular hole at the bottom of the pumping rod(compression hole)
3- about 5-10 mm above this hole drill another 2-2.5 mm hole through both sides of the rod.
4- reassemble and fill with oil to proper level(I have 5wt but I only weigh 140)
5- You may need heavier springs now that the rod is drilled. The compression is much easier and lighter.

^^ that's not my wording, and i dont weigh 140. I've also talked to a guy who ended up re-filling one of the holes he drilled in each rod with jbweld because the compression was just far too light. so my reccomendation would be to try one hole per rod first. i believe the current owner of the fork told me that the fork did have a nice feel, but still locked out on the harder speed hits occasionally. which sounds a lot like my non-drilled junior t.

I'd say maybe before you decide to drill the fork, try some lighter oil.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I have 5 wt. oil in the fork now so can't go much lower. The fork feels pretty plush, it just has this initial spike in the travel and I wish it felt like it wasn't pushing against a brick wall under jolts.

Sounds like I'll just drill one hole in each cartridge. Thanks guys!