Quantcast

Drive to NorthStar?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
A group of us are heading down the check out it out next month. We are driving from Seattle.

What is the best way down. I was thinking I-5 to Sacramento. Is that the easiest way to get there?

Thanks in advance ~Snacks :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actually the quickest way is to head down I-5 until you hit Mt Shasta. Then take state road 89 to 44 to 395 in Susanville. Then just head down 395 into Reno. Take 80 into truckee, exit on 267 towards Tahoe and you'll go right to northstar. I've made the trip from here to Portland about 20 times since I've lived here and that route cuts off about an hour. Check out a map of California and you'll see why. It's much more direct.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
kidwoo said:
Actually the quickest way is to head down I-5 until you hit Mt Shasta. Then take state road 89 to 44 to 395 in Susanville. Then just head down 395 into Reno. Take 80 into truckee, exit on 267 towards Tahoe and you'll go right to northstar. I've made the trip from here to Portland about 20 times since I've lived here and that route cuts off about an hour. Check out a map of California and you'll see why. It's much more direct.
Hrm...a friend of mine mentioned cutting though Cali also, but how are the road conditions? Are they 50 mph, one lane each way?

Thanks!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Snacks said:
Hrm...a friend of mine mentioned cutting though Cali also, but how are the road conditions? Are they 50 mph, one lane each way?

Thanks!
That whole section east of Shasta is pretty sparsely populated. The only real town you'll go through is Susanville after you get off of the interstate. Traffic isn't bad. It is a lot of 2 lane road but it's also in the desert and you can see for miles to pass. It's much quicker and you don't have to deal with Sacramento traffic on a weekend. It's a prettier drive too.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I think we will take the route down that you suggested kidwoo....it would be nice to see something other than freeway on the way down.

Has anyone ever done the weekly Thursday dh race down there? I'm thinking about hitting it while we are down there.

Thanks for the info!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Snacks said:
I think we will take the route down that you suggested kidwoo....it would be nice to see something other than freeway on the way down.

Has anyone ever done the weekly Thursday dh race down there? I'm thinking about hitting it while we are down there.

Thanks for the info!!
The thursday night races are cross-country. They don't do dh races until later in the summer, and those will be weekends.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
kidwoo said:
The thursday night races are cross-country. They don't do dh races until later in the summer, and those will be weekends.

Ew...okay. I race xc up here, but I only plan on riding dh down there. I saw the races on the weekends too. Thanks for the tip...that would have been a shocker!!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Snacks said:
Ew...okay. I race xc up here, but I only plan on riding dh down there. I saw the races on the weekends too. Thanks for the tip...that would have been a shocker!!
Give me a heads up when you come down. I'll be gone the week of the 4th but I'll show you where the rocky section at northstar is when I get back.