Quantcast

Drive train recommendation...

Just about have the 951 built, just needing to get the drive train. I'm looking at several different set-ups and getting different advice from friends. So I thought that I would seek the wisdom of my extended friends here on RM. So come on guys, let me hear your recommendations, I threw my thoughts down but I would like some fresh, non-bias ideas...

Chainguide/bashguard: Lg1
Cranks: Saints
Chainring (and gearing): E13 34t
Pedals (flats): ???
Chain: ???
Derailleur: X9
Shifter: X9
Cable: Nokon
Cassette (gearing): I'm think a road cassette, ??? on brand and gearing

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
How much do you wanna spend?
Budget recommendations:
Pedals- Deity Decoy 430 gms tough as nails
Chain- KMC X9
Cassette- Shimano Ultegra

Ballin recommendations:
Pedals- Po1nt Podium pedals with aluminum pins
Chain- KMC X9SL Ti-Ni
Cassette- Shimano Dura Ace 9Sp. 11-23

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm partial to the XTR/Dura Ace chain, but the XT/Ultegra has the same basic features. The pins have bulges on the ends that keep the links from sliding off. ALL shimano chains have had this feature for a while now, and if you install the chain with either a powerlink or the supplied special pin, it should last a long time and not suddenly break on you. Old shimano chains sucked, back in the late 90s. SRAM chains were simply rebadged sachs chains, and they did ok, but nothing spectacular. The newer generation of shimano chains are great though, I've been trying to break them for years, have not succeeded yet, but I broke plenty of those older chains.

I run a 12-27 ultegra on my 29er hardtail and I like it a lot, the newest ones should have an aluminum lockring, bringing the weight down a bit. Should be around 220g or less. 12-27 is a decent spread without having virtually no range. I usually just do 32t cassettes. Newer XTs weigh around 250g, which is pretty light as well. Whenever I've tried SRAM cassettes they just haven't lasted long enough for me to think they were a good buy, and then all I have to consider are the cheaper heavier ones.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Skip the Nokon, it is a total waste of money, in addition, wIth grit and movement, the links will grind themselves shorter and shorter...

KMC x9sl, xtr, or whipperman have all treated me well over the last 8 years or so. I to used to be a sachs guy, but IMO sram significantly lowered the quality when they took over sachs, but the reality is that broken chains are for the most part user error.

I am preferential to shimano cassettes over sram as well (although I prefer sram shifters). With the 34 front, make sure you have an 11 as the smallest rear. The SLX 11-28 ( I think) is a pretty good spread (althought not THE lightest). Unfortunately, the biggest spread road cassette with an 11, is the 11-23. IMO that is too close for DH (need to make multiple shifts) and it wont leave you any ability to do any climbing at local spots if you want that.

The deity pedals look good, as do the kona wa wa's for reasonable $$. For me, pedals need to be thin, 'open', big footprint, and have to be concave...

Last edited:

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
I am running an Ultegra, 11-23 with a 38 up front. Im a bad ass...Dave, like you said it is very narrow and I do have a few problems when shifting in to diffrent cogs (when I do shift) is this from my derailleur tune job (my first time doing it) or is it because, like you said very narrow?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
After running both Top end Sram, and Top end SHimano over the years, I must concede that the Shimano Saint derailluer is truly a great way to go.

In the past, I was running Sram for two reasons, no cable loop to catch onm stuff, and had to move my finger from the brakes to shift. Went to Sram for no cable loop, and thumb thumb shifting.

The new Shadow Saint gets rid of the cable loop, tucks up very inboard on the bike, and is tough as hell. Pick your shifter, most will have dual release so you have thumb thumb shifting now as well.

Sram shifts very nice, please dontg et me wrong. You just wont find it on my Downhill bike again due to how far it stis out off the bike, combined with how fragile they are.

The Saint was also noticably a huge jump in performance. In the past going from xt, to xtr.... or x9 to x0 or ultegra to DA....I have never been able to really see a huge difference in performance, but they are of coarse lighter, and more pimp. The Saint was a very noticable jump in performance. First its damn snappy, second the spring tension is awesome. When I first ran it, It was noticably quieter while riding. Much Much less chain slap.

I really like both Sram and SHimano, for xc and Roadie stuff, I like the Sram....For DH, I want the Saint

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
After running both Top end Sram, and Top end SHimano over the years, I must concede that the Shimano Saint derailluer is truly a great way to go.

In the past, I was running Sram for two reasons, no cable loop to catch onm stuff, and had to move my finger from the brakes to shift. Went to Sram for no cable loop, and thumb thumb shifting.

The new Shadow Saint gets rid of the cable loop, tucks up very inboard on the bike, and is tough as hell. Pick your shifter, most will have dual release so you have thumb thumb shifting now as well.

Sram shifts very nice, please dontg et me wrong. You just wont find it on my Downhill bike again due to how far it stis out off the bike, combined with how fragile they are.

The Saint was also noticably a huge jump in performance. In the past going from xt, to xtr.... or x9 to x0 or ultegra to DA....I have never been able to really see a huge difference in performance, but they are of coarse lighter, and more pimp. The Saint was a very noticable jump in performance. First its damn snappy, second the spring tension is awesome. When I first ran it, It was noticably quieter while riding. Much Much less chain slap.

I really like both Sram and SHimano, for xc and Roadie stuff, I like the Sram....For DH, I want the Saint
I find Sram RD's to be very tough. I have a 3 and half year old XO, and a couple other X9's that have never let me down. I ride 5 days a week, and live in eastern Canada........ wet, muddy, rocky and rooty as hell. Not the easiest enviroment on drivetrain.
There's been tones of negative reviews on the new saint RD. Mainly that they develope huge play in a short period of time. Maybe you should get some miles on yours before you claim it is "tough as hell"
If the Saint deraileur is anything like the other Shimano deraileurs then I personally wouldn't use it. Sram XO/X9 is so easy to set up and is so consistent that I wont be using anything else untill something comes along that is better in all those aspects.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
chainguide/bashguard: Lg1
Chainring (and gearing): saint 34t
Pedals (flats): point1
Chain: Xtr
Derailleur: saint
Shifter: saint
Cable: gore ride on
Cassette (gearing): saint slX

Last edited:

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
You can fix the play in Saint derails with some loctite. Its a bad design since both the mounting bolt and pivot bolt come loose. Two pivots developing play cause the shifting to go out a wack. Not something you want to deal with on a derail that cost so much.

My vote is KMC x9sl chain, answer rove fr pedals, and either a siant/slx cassette 11-28t at 250g or ultgera 11-23t at 200g.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
chainguide/bashguard: Lg1 +
Chainring (and gearing): e13 36th
Pedals (flats): point1
Chain: sram pc99 hollowpin
Derailleur: xo short cage
Shifter: xo
Cable: goodridge
Cassette (gearing): ultegra 11-23

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Sram X9 shift med X0 der xt or xtr 11/34 cassette 34 or 36 front and as far as chains no idea ive had them all break on me at one time or another. I just stockpile (990s) and keep 2 in the truck.
Dont like shimano, good for xc and road but love sram for dh/fr, like stated above I love shimano cassettes they are flawless.

Pedals are preference, flat, concave, ultra thin, light etc.... I like canfield crampons and rode twenty6s before that I like em both, but then I put LONG pins in anything i ride so it impailes the 5:10.

LG1 is good I have a mrp on now that came with it and will ride it till I switch to E13.
E-13 chainring I had 3 teeth shear off under HARD load went to danger boy and never had another issue. Dont know whats on the beast now but itll be DB when I swap it out.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"E-13 chainring I had 3 teeth shear off under HARD load went to danger boy and never had another issue. Dont know whats on the beast now but itll be DB when I swap it out."

I think db is no more

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
Yeah I think DB has been gone for quite some time now. For pedals, get some Easton Flatboys. I am also running an ultgera rear derailleur and lg1+ guide.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Chainguide/bashguard: Lg1
Chainring (and gearing): E13 34t
Pedals (flats): ???
Chain: ???
Derailleur: X9
Shifter: X9
Cable: Nokon
Cassette (gearing): I'm think a road cassette, ??? on brand and gearing
I love my new saint cranks and rear derailleur. Have had no issues with play in a season of riding. Some creaking from somewhere but that might be my older frame. Again, no issues with play after a season of riding in nasty rainy easty coasty conditions.
Very pleased with my blackspire chainring. Wasn't sure about it, but it seems fine, and it was much blacker and somewhat cheaper than the e13.
Ok to happy with my LG1+. Was harder to set up than I would like. Seems to be a bit difficult to get perfect...in other words, it's either a little close on one side or the other. Otherwise it's been quiet and works fine, so I can't complain too much. The gold is bling.
Chain is a SRAM XT level 8 Speed. No complaints or problems
XTR 8 Speed shifters from 98 or whatever. Glorious. Great shifters and no problems, except the display pod doesn't remove as neatly as I would have liked.
XTR 8 speed cassette....great stuff, but my gearing is off. The cassette is like 11-30 or 32, I find myself wishing for a tighter spread. I think an 11-26 would be great for everything my bike sees.
Cable is an alligator fortress cable. It's been OK with a little bit of stretch. It shifts smoothly and really hasn't been an issue. A good cheap option that's not stock Shimano SIS stuff.
My pedals are classic Atomlab somethingorothers. They are way old pre-taiwan versions, and are great. You can get them anymore, and you can't have mine.

All in all, I highly recommend the 8 Speed stuff if you can get it. Shifts better, is more durable, and I don't find myself lacking in gear selection, although my spread is too wide right now.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I find Sram RD's to be very tough. I have a 3 and half year old XO, and a couple other X9's that have never let me down. I ride 5 days a week, and live in eastern Canada........ wet, muddy, rocky and rooty as hell. Not the easiest enviroment on drivetrain.
There's been tones of negative reviews on the new saint RD. Mainly that they develope huge play in a short period of time. Maybe you should get some miles on yours before you claim it is "tough as hell"
If the Saint deraileur is anything like the other Shimano deraileurs then I personally wouldn't use it. Sram XO/X9 is so easy to set up and is so consistent that I wont be using anything else untill something comes along that is better in all those aspects.
I went through four Sram derailluers last year that never should have bent the way they did. They dont take a hit, and are more suseptable seeing how far they stand off the side of the bike... Im a pretty die hard Sram fan here, and it really took alot for me to pull the trigger for the saint.... Just at precise as the Sram, only takes more of a ebating without bending and binding into itself.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I went through four Sram derailluers last year that never should have bent the way they did. They dont take a hit, and are more suseptable seeing how far they stand off the side of the bike... Im a pretty die hard Sram fan here, and it really took alot for me to pull the trigger for the saint.... Just at precise as the Sram, only takes more of a ebating without bending and binding into itself.
Do you crash in spectacular fashion frequently????? I'm just not sure how you get yourself into the situation were you'd be bending RD's that frequently. Not saying it can't happen but thats a lot of RD carnage for one season.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Do you crash in spectacular fashion frequently????? I'm just not sure how you get yourself into the situation were you'd be bending RD's that frequently. Not saying it can't happen but thats a lot of RD carnage for one season.
Dirty spends more time on the ground than kids at a party getting it on in the bushes!
and like kids its never spectacular just clumsy and hitting the wrong hole!

Last edited: