Quantcast

drivetrain lube

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have white lightning which works well in dry conditions. It doesn't work very well in the wet, rainy season. What is a good quality, long lasting, inexpensive, oil lube that will work well in the wet season?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have never had issue with Tri-flow. Don't buy the Tri-flow with the waxy residue....get the std Tri-flow. I didn't like the waxy kind.

I haven't used Pro Link...can't say good or bad.

There is another kind that Boeing likes to use that motorcyclist and local MTBr's seem to like......I hope someone knows what the name is.

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
I just let my chain soak overnight in 10w-30 motor oil. clean it off real good and then put it back on. never have a problem in dry or wet conditions. I've used this technique for years with my mx bike.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
MX chains and bike chains have very specific needs due to very different conditions they endure. MX chain lube is crap for bikes and the same thing goes vice versa. I like Ritchey's chain lube, I forgot the name but it's transparent blue like Kool-Aid. It works really well but Tri-Flow and Pedro's or Finish line are all good.

Your Criteria:

-Good Quality
-Long lasting
-Inexpensive

Pick any two... :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My friend said that if you boil a bunch of ear wax with the stuff that comes out of your belly button, then add some molasses, the soak the chain in it, then run the chain through your toes to add a little jam, it will be lubed permanently and actually cleans the rest of your bike after every ride too.

sorry that was harsh, but let's keep it to personal experience. People have been doing the parafin wax thing for years, never heard of the olive oil part - anyone actually tried this?

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
How often do you guys do this ?

Do you clean everything in the drivetrain after a couple rides ?

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I relube before every ride, I do a complete cleaning/service once a week (i ride pretty much everyday during the summer), but then again, i am an OCD cleaner/tweaker.

-Adam

El Caballo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2004
East Bay, West Coast
punkassean said:
MX chains and bike chains have very specific needs due to very different conditions they endure. MX chain lube is crap for bikes and the same thing goes vice versa.
Yes. Modern motorcycles have O-ring chains, meaning there are O-rings on every link that keep the lube internal to the link pivots. You don't really "lubricate" a motorcycle chain, you clean it and keep the O-rings from drying out and deteriorating. I usually used WD-40 to clean it, let the WD dry, and then put on a *touch* of spray lube.

Bicycles have standard chains which need to be cleaned and lubed. Removing them, soaking them in Simple Green or other degreaser, letting dry, and then soaking them in heavy oil is the best. But without a clip link this is tough to do, so most of us just drip Tri-Flow on the links. Fortunately bike chains are cheap compared to motorcycle chains, so maintenance is less critical.

"Chain wax" is not good for bicycles. It won't get inside the links and lubricate them.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Get a wax lube during the summer. For the winter get a more synthetic lube for the cold wet seasons. Tri flow works well too.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I use Liquid Wrench (penetrating lubricant) for the drivetrain. I usually clean my bike at least superficially after every ride. I'd go broke if I used something like Tri-Flow all the time.

1. Rinse with low pressure water
2. let dry
3. spray liquid wrench (watch rotors)
4. wipe off excess with rag

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
BigStonz said:
I use Liquid Wrench (penetrating lubricant) for the drivetrain. I usually clean my bike at least superficially after every ride. I'd go broke if I used something like Tri-Flow all the time.

1. Rinse with low pressure water
2. let dry
3. spray liquid wrench (watch rotors)
4. wipe off excess with rag
I'd actually had this thought after buying a bottle of liquid wrench for a stuck bolt and realized that it's just a light oil that evaporates much cleaner than WD40, still I'm not convinced that it's going to be the best lube for the dry season.