Quantcast

Drivetrain setup

keeferinoxiv

Chimp
Sep 7, 2008
So, I have a question for all you brilliant mountainbike mechs out there. I am currently running a 42t single ring up front, an 8 speed 11-32 cassette in the rear, srs e13, and a shimano acera der. I'm not sure of the cage length on it. Anyway, I'm thinking about upgrading the entire drivetrain and swtching to a 38t up front, a downhill cassette in the rear (11-24ish), and a new der. I'm just not sure what cage length I will need in order to use all my gears. Thanks for any help.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
You should be able to run a short cage with no worries. The formula for calculating how many links that need to be taken up by the derailleur is (big ring-small ring) + (biggest cog-smallest cog) = derailleur capacity required. Hope that helps.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FWIW I'm pretty sure that acera deraillers are only available as long cage.

Also, I've run a short cage derailler on an 11-32 9spd cassette with a 36T chainring and had no issues.

The only potential issue I could is chainline, but you're already running a 1x8 so you should be fine.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
the 1X8 or 1X9 set up allows you to run just about any length cage. As Jon said, chain line can get a little wacky but you can do it. I run a med X9 with a 36 in front and 32 rear, and my wife's dh bike runs a small shimano road der with 38 in front and 32 rear.