Quantcast

Droid x

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Who has it? Who wants it? Who wants to bash/praise it?

My POS BB Storm touch screen pooped the bed a month ago and I have always hated the damn thing because of the touch screen so I am skeptical. I really want one but don't want a broken touch screen after 20 months again.

I picked up a old BB Curve from a buddy after the storm broke and i'm loving the ability to type quick again. Everything else on the phone blows but I really only need a smartphone for working and the BB Curve is a workhorse for that.

I think I am going to go play with the Droid X today at the verizon store to see how the touch screen feels. I am eligiable for one in 2 weeks. Think I should wait a couple months?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
touch screen technology has come a pretty long way in 2 years, but I know you're like me and have some big ol' sausage fingers. I'm holding out for something with a physical keyboard.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I really can't see much the Droid X has going for it over the normal Droid. The latter has been out for a while and seems to work, has a real keyboard, and does pretty much everything the X does. Only cons are that it's a little thicker (due to the keyboard) and has a little smaller screen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I really can't see much the Droid X has going for it over the normal Droid. The latter has been out for a while and seems to work, has a real keyboard, and does pretty much everything the X does. Only cons are that it's a little thicker (due to the keyboard) and has a little smaller screen.
slightly better processer, much better clocking speed, more memory, 8 megapixel camera, 720p HD video, hdmi out, bigger screen, wireless N ready, hotspot capability...

now the droid 2 (which isn't out yet) is much closer in spec, but performance wise the x still has the upper hand.

the biggest complaints I've heard this early is that the UI that motorola has put on top of android doesn't add anything and can be frustrating at times due to redundant features

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
slightly better processer, much better clocking speed, more memory, 8 megapixel camera, 720p HD video, hdmi out, bigger screen, wireless N ready, hotspot capability...

now the droid 2 (which isn't out yet) is much closer in spec, but performance wise the x still has the upper hand.

the biggest complaints I've heard this early is that the UI that motorola has put on top of android doesn't add anything and can be frustrating at times due to redundant features
The only one of those I can really seems that awesome (for me anyway) is the hotspot capability, but IIRC there's an Android app that allows you to use the phone's interwebs on at least 1 computer anyway.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
FWIW do you have a storm or storm 2? I have heard that the storm 2 types a LOT better than its predecessor......
I had the first one, got it right when it came out. My wife got it for me, I would have waited a bit if I knew I was getting it. I hate to say it but the storm really left a bad taste in my mouth for Blackberry even though I like the Curve and I liked my BB that I had before the Storm.

My problem is that the full browser, memory card, ok camera and a few other things spoiled me and I want them again.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
And at the risk of hijacking........is "Android" an actual PHONE or an operating system available on several different phones?
It's an operating system. Made slightly confusing by the phones called Droid.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
since it was mentioned a lot, i went w/ the original Motorola droid w/ the physical keyboard, but i find myself using the touch screen/predictive text keyboard 99% of the time. it works great and is much faster to type with.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
since it was mentioned a lot, i went w/ the original Motorola droid w/ the physical keyboard, but i find myself using the touch screen/predictive text keyboard 99% of the time. it works great and is much faster to type with.
Good to know. I'm in the market too, and was leaning towards something with a real keyboard, but if the touch screen works well enough, maybe I'll pass.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
here's my input on it. If it's even 2/3 the size of a droid...it's huge. A lady at the verizon store let me play with her...........phone.....................and it was the size of a tape dispenser. After having seen the google voice app that lets you screen incoming messages like an answering machine though...would love to use it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
here's my input on it. If it's even 2/3 the size of a droid...it's huge. A lady at the verizon store let me play with her...........phone.....................and it was the size of a tape dispenser. After having seen the google voice app that lets you screen incoming messages like an answering machine though...would love to use it.
It's bigger, but thinner. The Droid is pretty damn big already.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the benefit of just going touchscreen is a significantly thinner, less weighty phone. had i been able to demo the phone for a couple of weeks prior to making the purchase, i would have gone w/ the Incredible or held out for the X.

not that the original is bad by any means. it kicks the living hell out of my old LG flip phone :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
but you can browse websites and still see pages pretty well on the Droid. same goes for the map/GPS functions. if you only want a phone that can pick up email and has little graphics capability, perhaps you'd be better off sticking w/ a blackberry or similar.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I went into the Verizon store the other day to try and play with some things, but even though I was the only person in there, the guy at the counter was a douche and didn't seem to have any time to talk to me about anything. I gave up and left. I have used a friend's Droid a bit and it's pretty impressive.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I don't think I would buy a Droid X until I learn more information about the built-in self destruct feature. Seriously.

It's something about owning a phone vs being given a license to use it. I prefer the former.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't think I would buy a Droid X until I learn more information about the built-in self destruct feature. Seriously.

It's something about owning a phone vs being given a license to use it. I prefer the former.
there's a lot of chatter about it, but it really only affects those who would want to unlock the device or do hardware mods

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
there's a lot of chatter about it, but it really only affects those who would want to unlock the device or do hardware mods
Once you have completed paying for a phone, don't you think you should have the right to do whatever you want with it?

What if Motorola came out with a GSM based phone with this self-destruct feature? After you fully paid for the phone, you may not be able to unlock it to use it on other networks (such as if you needed to travel from the U.S. to Europe). If that's the direction providers want to go, why should consumers have to pay for a phone in the first place? Just tack it on to the already high monthly bills of those long contract periods...evidently everyone is ok with this already. :(

Oh yea, another bad thing about this is someone can totally disable your phone remotely with a proper hack. Sure The Droid's Android-based setup is based on Linux and is fairly open which helps security.. but that doesn't mean it is impenetrable. Adding proprietary crap atop of it which probably hasn't been tested as well as it could be or scrutinized by public eye doesn't help things out either.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh the what if game... i love it.

Yea, I agree that you should be able to do with it as you see fit, but then again this is an issue that only affects power users, not general consumers.

In regards to a remote disablement, I think that's pretty unlikely. The bricking supposedly results from modifying the bootware, firmware, or kernel, which (correct me if I'm wrong) isn't exactly the easiest thing to do remotely.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I went into the Verizon store the other day to try and play with some things, but even though I was the only person in there, the guy at the counter was a douche and didn't seem to have any time to talk to me about anything. I gave up and left. I have used a friend's Droid a bit and it's pretty impressive.
that just means you look creepy.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

RIM has had remote wipe/disable forever and various other remote management features (one of the reason corporate likes them). iPhone has remove wipe for a while now too but its not as full featured as the RIM technology. These are end-user and IT functions but there are back-end ways to active these features by carriers or the OEM (RIM/Apple/etc). These feature only disable the phone until you wipe the phone and reload the OS.

Carriers can black list any cellphone by address or account if they want too for whatever reason, so really if you abuse your cellular account it doesn't matter if you have a smartphone or not - your phone won't work without the network.

I don't think this new feature is all that significant especially for the average end user.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
What about that company that made the iPhone app that runs you a seperate cell# anywhere wi-fi is available? Will it work on Droid too?

FYI, my Omnia II just arrived at the house, so I may run home and snag it at lunch...just to fondle it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And at the risk of hijacking........is "Android" an actual PHONE or an operating system available on several different phones?
george lucas must be making a mint off the droid copyright.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have sausage fingers and once I got used to the screen keyboard, I quit using the actual one. It was a friends Droid and I only used it for a little while this weekend, but was very impressed.

Now I'm pissed to find out my contract with AT&T is until October, I thought it was up next month.

Chromejesus

Chimp
Jul 20, 2009
Cherokee NC
Went down to the verizon store on launch day to workout some billing issues and played around with the x while waiting. I was impressed it was fast and had a nice screen but it was huge. I mean i have large hands and it felt big for me. My incredible just feels better in my hands. Nice phone just too big.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
droid x sounded like it was gonna be a cool topic. i didnt know it was going to be about a phone. :(

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Galaxy S seems like a promising touchscreen smartphone. It has the original technology the iPhone 4 was copied from plus a more usable screen...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have no clue what motoblur is, or if i would need it. i was referring mainly to his style of writing.
i just accidentally hit quote.

motoblur is a bunch of ui crap that motorola installs over android that is utterly useless and there's no way to disable it