Quantcast

Drop 15lbs from your bike: Drinking the Kool-Aid

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well I finally ponied up and got rid of the Racelink and replaced it with a more modern ride, and IH Sunday. Picked up the frame from Dave Trumpore, and built it up with mostly new parts.

Spec as follows:
2008 IH Sunday Factory w/DHX
Boxxer WC
Saint Cranks
Saint Brakes
Saint Derailleur
XTR 8 Speed shifter
XTR 8 Speed 11-30 cassette
SRAM 870 Chain
e13 Stem
Kore Torsion 20 800mm riser bar
Azonic Outlaw wheels
Maxxis Minion F + R x 2.5"
e13 LG1+
Atomlab pedals, titec Saddle, Thomson post, intense grips.

Obligatory clean photo:

Mini-review:
Bike weighs in at roughly 40.2lbs via the bathroom scale method. I did my best to build a stout, reliable bike that I wouldn't have to worry too much about, without being overbuilt. I am super impressed with the weight above. That's roughly 15 lbs lighter than my racelink (Estimated, I never bothered to weigh that bike).
On the trail, that translates to a much more flickable and manageable bike. I can hop it at will, which was always a problem with the RL. I lost 4-5lbs on the front fork alone, so I'm super pleased there.
For the ride, so far I am extremely impressed. The frame suspension is excellent, on par with the Brooklyn but not nearly as plush. The fork gives up very little to the avy fork I had previously, but in return you get a much more modern chassis with less trail and the direct mount stem. The front tracks MUCH better, mostly due to this, I think.
I don't think I need to get into the frame that much; I can simply say it has a reputation for a reason.
A few notes:
8 Speed combined with the Saint mech RULES. Abso-f-ing-lutely rules. Crisp, clean shifts, no misses, a nice solid *CHUNK* every time you flick the buttery trigger.
Saint brakes- excellent modulation, plenty of power. Highland isn't necessarily the best place to test brakes, as it isn't really steep, or long, and the berms give you a good opportunity to get off the brakes every few seconds, but I love these things so far
Alligator rotors- I picked these up because they were so much cheaper (38 for the pair vs. 33 for one) than anything else on the market, and they were lightweight. I seemed to have adequate power, but there were a couple of times that I could hear the stupid sawblades rubbing. I can't recommend them until I put more time on them.
Kore bars- wide bars are wide. I'm using new muscles in my back instead of my arms...these will probably have to come down an inch or so on either side, but I'm still feeling it out. Super cheap and not too heavy.
Minion tires- I'm not as impressed with these as I thought I would be. They're great on certain surfaces, but I'm not seeing the huge traction gains I thought I would be.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Retailer notes:
D. Trump, Brian HCM1111oneone1, and epic: Bought the frame and fork, stem, and shifters from these guys, and they all provided good service.
w000dy for helping me complete the build, despite using my allen wrenches as a hammer
Alfred E. Bike- One of the "phantom box" stores that don't necessarily stock anything but will order it up for you. Good prices and good service, but I got a phantom $0.75 added to my order for some reason.
Pricepoint- Awesome service from these guys. Everything I ordered on time, and when I had one small hassle, due to an ordering error, they provided free two day for the hassle of calling them.
Jenson- Pretty average. Took longer to ship but everything was packed up nice and came at a good price.
Bikewagon (handlebars) super fast shipping, met my best offer on ebay.
ChainReactionCycles- I can't really recommend these guys. After the rest of the e-tailers I dealt with, these guys were the bottom of the bunch. Took forever to update shipping status, had an issue with credit card identification, had to deal with BofA's stupid 3% fee, and when the parts finally came, none of them were in their original boxes, but rather in plastic wrap and a little styrofoam. My BB spindle was nearly sticking out of the box. Not good. I'd rather buy from a US dealer, despite the savings I received.

That's it for now. Just wanted to say thanks to the people who helped me out, and I'll report back as I get more riding time in.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Nice build! Gonna be heading out to platty at all with little DW(woody)? I want to see his belt drive

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Congrats on the new bike. It's really a nice rig and it will sure be a nice upgrade for racing practices.

Also I agree wide bars are wide. Just got my flat 760mm elements and after initial rides I'm pretty shocked how much they help.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Nice build man looks sweet. I know what you mean about CRC they have got worse. About 2 years ago they were great but they have gone downhill the bigger they have got. lol and i live in England!!

Never try calling them btw u will end up waiting for hours..lol

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Congrats, I bet its was a fun first day coming off a heavy bike of the past.

I too had horrible luck with CRC. I ordered a copy of 3Focus, and recieved a copy that wasn't in a wrapper (pre-viewed?) which let the case come apart in transit. The dvd was hanging half way out of the case and was scratched to hell. I honestly didn't want to deal with the hassle of returning it to the UK, so I'm simply not using them anymore for online buying.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Congrats, I bet its was a fun first day coming off a heavy bike of the past.

I too had horrible luck with CRC. I ordered a copy of 3Focus, and recieved a copy that wasn't in a wrapper (pre-viewed?) which let the case come apart in transit. The dvd was hanging half way out of the case and was scratched to hell. I honestly didn't want to deal with the hassle of returning it to the UK, so I'm simply not using them anymore for online buying.
my copy of 3Focus also lacked shrink wrap. I don't think it's pre-viewed, but more like that's how it's distributed. I had Foot Out, Flat Out and Uprising on the same order and they were both shrink wrapped.

Sandwich - Nice new used ride! Reminds me that I need to dust mine off and get here ready for the summer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, I posted a thread asking about CRC but nobody had had any bad experiences...I can't say mine was bad, and I did save $300 or so, but it wasn't good, and I wouldn't buy from them again, mostly due to the overseas aspect. I'll stick with the backcrunchy's and glow-rides.

As for the weight, yeah it was silly. The bike sprinted like crazy, and being able to zip out of every turn was money. The brooklyn never cornered right, or at least it sucked in tight turns. The Sunday was much better. Neither does the 5ft radius super shorts on Fancy feast well though.

As for the guide, the install was kind of botched and it was rotated to clear the chain. I have to remove some spacers to get a little more clearance and it should be fine.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Nice bike! Looks very clean. I think your build is pretty spot on.

I sent CRC an email the other day just asking a simple question. I was about to spend upwards of $500 USD with them but they never returned my email. Oh well...their loss I guess.

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
sweet ride! a nice set of wheels would shave another 3 lbs rotational mass and bring your bike down to about 38 lbs. not to bash your bathroom scale method but in my experience it hasn't been accurate. but ya man thats super clean. love the black/blue combo. must be stoked if your coming off a bike i've never heard of before. technology in this sport changes so quick its hard to keep up on all the designs the theories and the lot of it. Go out and ride, bikes ready to shred!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Coming back to the crc topic - I've only had good expeciance with them and I've ordered quite a lot from them. I don't order dvds and such but I got hubs,helmet, brake pads, bars, pedals, hoses and some other stuff I can't remember from them and no bigger issues so far. Sometimes it took longer to get it to hear but it's quite far away.
I belive they have some issues but it happens with most of the bigger shops. They send you what you order even though the cs is not always the best and sometimes they lost your mails. For sure better than Beyondbikes ;) Anyway for good cs I just go and look for smaller shops or go threw distributors.

must be stoked if your coming off a bike i've never heard of before
I though this was ironic ;) Ridingsupreme you should have played it that way :P