Quantcast

Drop Heights: real, not imagined...

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
OK, here's a simple question, (how 'bout some real answers......:lighten:)
What is the actual height of the "patio/deck" drop? I know it has a name, just can't remember it...? Deck to top of tranny. Obviously any drop gets bigger the further down the tranny you land, but I'm Curious. Has anyone ever stuck a tape measure on it? How far out horizonatally is the tranny?
Also the one just above that, that comes out of the woods, it's a long narrow platform that feeds to the main trail just above the turn in to the patio/deck.
I've only ridden at Diablo once, hit both of those a couple of times, just wondering how tall they actually are. (they ran out of maps the day we were there). We had a great time, rode a lot of fun stuff, but really don't know what any of it was called!!

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Just guessing on the Phantom drop, would be about 7 feet from deck to top of transition.

The other drop you are asking about is the flume drop, and its about 5.5 feet off the ground, but you have to jump out about 4 feet to reach the transition. I'm pretty sure on this one because a friend of mine crashed on it and I was standing right next to it flagging down riders to keep them from going off the drop while my friend was down.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
Thanks for the names. Phantom and Flume.
Yeah, my recollection is the same as yours, I remember needing to carry more speed on the Flume drop. I landed mid tranny my first time, butter smooth, but was showing it to a friend on my second go around, and went too slowly, 'cause I was yelling to him over my shoulder, (telling him to go faster than I was...:shocked: ) and just barely cleared the top of the tranny with my rear wheel, not a case, but pretty friggin close. rode it out, but it was anti-butter as far as smoothness goes...

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Talking about drop heights, what is the largest drop at Diablo, I have hit them all and hitting Dom's Denial to dirt transition (not landing on the wood that's too scary) feels like the biggest of them all. Has anyone ever measured that one? Road to nowhere feels pretty big also, but this could be because I always hit it with way too much speed because that sideways groove in the rock landing has me scurred and I feel the need to clear it to cleaner rock surface.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Have you hit the rock drop on Ripper? its a natural drop and very hidden.
Not sure, I have hit a lot of the natural stuff, I am not too familiar with Diablo to know exact names. I have only been there 5 times. I know I have gone off a couple of drops that weren't part of a trail (didn't know until I landed and trail ended). One of them was on the trail to the right of upper dominion, bottomed out hard, it was just a 5 or 6 foot drop off of a rock to a flat landing on another rock then the trail was gone, could have sworn it looked like a trail till I got off the drop.:imstupid:

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
720 a drop? never seen it done, it would be interesting to watch though. I'll have to check this drop out, it must be a 30 + footer. Oh and don't tell me it's a perfect approach with excellent flat landing on a big rock right?

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
5-6? are you landing to flat? im pretty sure where ive been landing its gotta be at least 10...
The drop itself is no more than 6 feet. Sure I land about halfway down the tranny but that dosnt really count. I could drop about 7 feet down on the small progression drop but its still only about 1 foot drop.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
if your talking from the edge of bridge staight down to the ground I'd say they are about this:

Phantom: 7 feet (to top of transition)
Flume: 4 feet
Anthem: 6 feet
RTN: 7 feet
Dom's: 5 feet (to top of landing bridge)
Pro jump: 4 1/2 feet

Again those are my guesses for straight down height as RTN, Dom's, Phantom, and Flume can be made much larger depending on how far down the transition you land. If someone from the trail crew could chime in with the exact heights that'd be awesome.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
Thanx Bobushka
That's the kind of answer I was looking for. As is obvious from the number of replies, and views, there seems to be a lot of interest in this question.
As you said, maybe someone from the trail crew with actual numbers could chime in. I can guestimate as well as the next guy, but for once, instead of the typical "I freakin' dropped x y or z and it must a bin 14 feet ta flat", it would be nice to have real numbers, especially since this is a destination resort, with a solid rep for having nicely build features.
Inquiring minds want to know. Who's got a tape measure?

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Going on just the height of the wood against how tall I am, I would say Flume is about 5', progressions are 2' 4' & 6', RTN about 6'.

The others I've never stood next to, but what the last guy said is about right.

To make the tranny on those, you'd have to add another foot or two

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
Thanx Bobushka
That's the kind of answer I was looking for. As is obvious from the number of replies, and views, there seems to be a lot of interest in this question.
As you said, maybe someone from the trail crew with actual numbers could chime in. I can guestimate as well as the next guy, but for once, instead of the typical "I freakin' dropped x y or z and it must a bin 14 feet ta flat", it would be nice to have real numbers, especially since this is a destination resort, with a solid rep for having nicely build features.
Inquiring minds want to know. Who's got a tape measure?
the only time this matters is during pointless internet arguments. there's a lot more to a drop than the measured height.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
Nope.
I beg to differ.
This is not about pointless internet arguments.
The entire point of my question is to get real info!!!! NOT pointless arguments. Pointless arguments are those that are typically not based in, or on, fact, or quantifiable, hence the request for real, not imagined, heights.
Of course there is more to drops than height. There is a lot more.
Shape and nature of entry; shape and angle and material composition of landing zone or tranny; entry and exit speeds etc. Are you dropping off a wall in a grass meadow? or a 3 inch wide skinny 10 feet off the ground? Each of these elements factor into the technical difficulty of the drop.

The point of my post is that Diablo is a location that a lot of people go to, and it would be nice to know that, yes, that was a minimum 6 foot drop. Longer if I went faster and landed further down the tranny.
No different than a golf course posting yard markers. It would give riders a point of actual reference they generally don't have access to unless they bring a tape measure into the woods.

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
Nope.
I beg to differ.
This is not about pointless internet arguments.
The entire point of my question is to get real info!!!! NOT pointless arguments. Pointless arguments are those that are typically not based in, or on, fact, or quantifiable, hence the request for real, not imagined, heights.

The point of my post is that Diablo is a location that a lot of people go to, and it would be nice to know that, yes, that was a minimum 6 foot drop. It would give riders a point of actual reference they generally don't have access to unless they bring a tape measure into the woods.
Let me put it this way...what do you plan to do with all these factual, tape measure heights that an estimate doesn't satisfy? It should be enough to say that Anthem is around 6ft, etc. When you're riding off the lip nobody, including you, will care what the tape measure says.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
OK, fair point. It doesn't really matter. My life won't change if it was only a 5 1/2 foot drop instead of a 6 foot drop, or if it was a 4 footer instead of a 3 footer.

The point for me was: I had no map. I had never been there before. I had a great time. I hit a bunch of drops. I didn't ever get off my bike and walk around under the drops to see how high they were. I get home, and I say to myself, "Gee self, I wonder how high those were? I think they were the biggest things I've done." Self gets curious, and creates this post, looking for some real answers. Will the answers change my life? Nope. But they will satisfy my curiosity.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Do you guys ever even bother hitting the progression drops? They seem like a hard landing with absolutely zero stopping space. When new people ask me what drops to hit I usually try to start them on Phantom.

neverwalk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2007
I've only been there once, but I did cycle through them. I agree, that as soon as I was on the ground, especially with the two bigger ones, that all I was thinking about was grabbing the brakes and seeing where I was gonna end up.... They should have a big j shaped berm to aim at and transition left onto the trail.

skeldon13

Chimp
May 1, 2007
not a drop but how big exactly is the pro jump? i heard its 35 foot but i have a hard time believing that.
the top of the jump to the dirt right below is about 4.5-5 ft but you have to travel 35ft in air to make the landing.. kind of a gap but if you dont make it your not FUKED

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Do you guys ever even bother hitting the progression drops?

I typically roll them.

How far of a drop is it if you were to land a decent amount say halfway between the big crack in the RTN rock tranny and flat. I know it felt pretty big haha.

One thing i would like to see more of at diablo is stuff similar to the "pro jump" where high speed does not result in death by landing to flat. the only drops you can confidently go off moderatly fast without braking are RTN and Flume(smallest drop tho) in my opinion. Phantom and Dom's are verrrry speed cautious drops, and Anthem is pushing it but can be hit faster if pre jumped. If they through a decent 10 ft initial road gap style drop in with 15-20ft gap (and throw a steep roller option in for bale out safety) and realllly long decent slope tranny kinda like the wooden drop at whistler with the tranny that fans out that you always see pics of - that would be money.

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Highland mountain has some gnarly drops as well. Pro line drop(18 feet or so?) to 8 foot lip step up. And then there is the drop on NE style, top of the trail, thats a good 12 feet to berm then 25 foot hip then wallride.

Diablo needs some rad stuff like that.