Quantcast

drops to flat

MonK-E

Chimp
Jan 8, 2006
France
just wondering what is the biggest drop to flat you guys have done on a full sus.

if you have any pics please post em

cheers
Si

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I've accidently done about 5 to flat because most of my bike missed a tranny. My back tire landed in the last foot of the landing ramp and my front was to flat. Even with 7 inches that still hurt.

Feb 13, 2006
Drops to flat are stupid. Generally they're impressive to people with a mental age of around 12 or 13, in other words, boys at the onset of puberty who feel a gigantic need to prove they are tough and scary.

Who cares how big a drop to flat you can do? What does it prove? Your idiocy? Your desire to break your bike? Your desire to wreck your ankles?

dude calm down, i'm 14 and i dont think drops to flat are "tough and scary", i think that sometimes they are fun in the aftermath that you can say that you almost ate it hard because you overshot a decent drop of some kind. if youre whole life is about drops to flat, more power to you, its your choice and no-one will stop you.

heres a pic of my landing off of a good 12 foot drop (i did not intend to land flat, i just hit it with more speed that i realized i had):

MonK-E

Chimp
Jan 8, 2006
France
wow looks like i hit a nerve with some of you guys.

Who cares how big a drop to flat you can do? What does it prove?
nothing, but that wasn't the question.
i was just curios because all the drops around hear are to flat and i enjoy doing the occasional 6ft to flat. what's the problem?
i see people in town clearing stairs to flat all the time.

and for your info im 22

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow and to think we just had to get a freeride forum. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

ohh and dude there is one good way to solve your drop to flat problem. build them with trannies and hey there are no more drops to flat.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Wow, the guy had a simple question and all you yahoos jumped all over him like you actually knew something. So what if someone likes to drop to flat. Let him and let him talk about it. I'm sure there's a lot that you do that you think is great and to many of us it is stupid. One of the greatest things about freeriding is that it's self defined. There are no required lines and the rider can drop to flat if that's where he finds his flow. Although Transitions are very cool! And my old man ass of 39 needs them, because the biggest drop to flat that I am willing to do, is off the curb!

Feb 13, 2006
"like you know something"?

you cretins crack me up. what makes you think a "drop to flat" is worth anything at all?

who designs a drop to flat on their trails?

I've ridden plenty of burly-azz trails and a drop to flat is usually a sign that a jr high schooler built the trail.

if you want to know who's done the biggest drops to flat, check the trials riders. but don't compare yourself to them, they actually know how to ride a bike.

as to the fool who said he did 12 feet to flat. grow up you lying sack of schitt.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

you cretins crack me up. what makes you think a "drop to flat" is worth anything at all?

I've ridden plenty of burly-azz trails and a drop to flat is usually a sign that a jr high schooler built the trail.

if you want to know who's done the biggest drops to flat, check the trials riders. but don't compare yourself to them, they actually know how to ride a bike.

as to the fool who said he did 12 feet to flat. grow up you lying sack of schitt.
Wow your calling a 14year old kid names on the internet!
You must be pretty tuff huh? :ban:

MonK-E

Chimp
Jan 8, 2006
France
ohh and dude there is one good way to solve your drop to flat problem. build them with trannies and hey there are no more drops to flat.
its not like i can build a transition on a football pitch where the drops are located. the local council will do there nut.

what makes you think a "drop to flat" is worth anything at all?
maybe it is worth nothing to you or to any one else, but it is to me. i just like the feeling i get from conquering a drop to flat now & again and in all honesty that's all what really matters. that's what freeriding is all about to me, doing what i like doing on a bike.

i think you all should just chill out

dude f-ing BEAT IT if youre so f-ing biased against drops to flat, start your own god damn thread against them jackhole.
and if you think i'm a lying sack of sh!t, check out the friggin sequence that i have in the link that i posted douchebag.
or just come riding with me if youre so skeptical about it, i'll show you the damn drop that i overshot!!!
oh yeah, you really cant deny that when you were going through puberty that you didnt do stuff to try and prove your "maturity".
F- OFF:mad: :mad: :mad:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
deutschbag

To me, that reads "German Bag" because Deutsch is the word for German in...German.

Carry on, little instigator.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by monk E: i just like the feeling i get from conquering a drop to flat now & again and in all honesty that's all what really matters. that's what freeriding is all about to me, doing what i like doing on a bike.
okay so by all of your deffinitions of freeriding that means i am one. man who new that racing dh would make you a freerider. ohh and when i decide to throw down on some xc i must be a hardcore freerider becuase i am doing what i like doing on a bike. yep that is about as clear as mud. where do we draw the line with all this bull.

again i say why do we need a freeride forum.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
drops to flat = cool/fun if: 1)you like hurting yourself or your bike 2)you're bender 3) you ride street/park 4) you're a trials rider 5)you don't know what a tranny is or how to build them

my $.02 is that drops to flat are about as much fun as overclearing doubles to flat

Robusto

Monkey
dude calm down, i'm 14 and i dont think drops to flat are "tough and scary", i think that sometimes they are fun in the aftermath that you can say that you almost ate it hard because you overshot a decent drop of some kind. if youre whole life is about drops to flat, more power to you, its your choice and no-one will stop you.

link to the first pic in the sequence:
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/971229/

just click on the 'album' link under my name and youll find the rest of the seq.
I want a Monster 'T... :twitch:

unless youre building on the slope of a mountain, like i am not, you cant make a tranny "un-overshootable"or "overshoot-proof".
people make mistakes and overshoot drops that they normally land perfect on... kinda like what i did.
same thing with any kind of jump, other than a well placed hip.

if you hit a drop to flat with speed, it isnt too bad. when i overshot the drop in my sequence, i was doing about 20 and the landing felt like a 5 to flat doing about 8. which still hurts by the way, i cant deny that.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Cool pics, cheetaprowerDH. Some of those drops look pretty big. The drop with the little tiny landing in the first few pics looks gnarly.

haha, thanks man. its a super fun place to ride and cory and i built most of it so we take pride.
i'll have pics up soon of the new stuff that we (i) built. i just need to go out there with my neighbor again so we can get pics.
he is the reason the pics are so big and so clear: 9 megapixel Cannon EOS... thats pretty much a new Demo 9 pro frame right there

:cheers:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
unless youre building on the slope of a mountain, like i am not, you cant make a tranny "un-overshootable"or "overshoot-proof".
people make mistakes and overshoot drops that they normally land perfect on... kinda like what i did.
same thing with any kind of jump, other than a well placed hip.

if you hit a drop to flat with speed, it isnt too bad. when i overshot the drop in my sequence, i was doing about 20 and the landing felt like a 5 to flat doing about 8. which still hurts by the way, i cant deny that.
I tend to agree with this logic. There's a five foot drop to a very short transition at a local ride spot. You can drop speed to make sure you hit the trannie, or you can jump early, or you can just go faster. The faster you go, the farther you are out past the trannie the easier it is to keep moving. The forward momentum requires the bike to suck up less. When I urban freeride, this technique comes in handy when jumping off steps or built up areas to sidewalks. However, I've never had the balls to try this on something really big. Ten feet or more. Maybe it's because I am 39. But, I definately would try it given the right situation. Does that make me the same as a 14 year old trying to prove myself. I sure hope so.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
What camera does he have? I have a Cannon 20D (8.2mp). I'm always looking for people to film and shoot, but noone will reply to my threads and go.

If I go to San Diego, i'll call/pm you.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I really can't imagine what enjoyment could possibly come from doing big drops to a painfully flat landings. However, do what makes you happy... sorry to rain on your parade. btw, what kind of setup you riding?

What camera does he have? I have a Cannon 20D (8.2mp). I'm always looking for people to film and shoot, but noone will reply to my threads and go.

If I go to San Diego, i'll call/pm you.

he has a EOS of some kind but all i know about it is that the pictures it takes are UNsane. on my editing system, you can zoom in on the picture 1016% the shown size and it will refine and say it is at 100% zoom. when it does this, i can drag the viewing pane over my face or something and see every bead of sweat perfectly, its such good resoloution.

I really can't imagine what enjoyment could possibly come from doing big drops to a painfully flat landings. However, do what makes you happy... sorry to rain on your parade. btw, what kind of setup you riding?
my setup is a 1997 Cheeta Prowler frame with an '03 Monster up front, Romic D 9.5x3.0 in the back, Magura Tomac hydraulic rim brakes in the back and no front brake as of right now, and my wheels are: front-Alex DX32 (cracked pin) rear- Sun Mammoth (cracked pin as well).

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by cheetaprowlerDH : my setup is a 1997 Cheeta Prowler frame with an '03 Monster up front, Romic D 9.5x3.0 in the back, Magura Tomac hydraulic rim brakes in the back and no front brake as of right now, and my wheels are: front-Alex DX32 (cracked pin) rear- Sun Mammoth (cracked pin as well).
wow i will say you got crazy balls doing drops with no front brake. i mean thats where the majority of my braking is done. you must do a lot of rear wheel slidding. ohh and i do have one question. why choose that frame over so man others that will acctually handle a monster. i mean i saw the other pics of that frame it was an oldschool AM setup????????????? i dont think i have been this confused since this morning.:huh: :huh: :huh:

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
maybe it is worth nothing to you or to any one else, but it is to me. i just like the feeling i get from conquering a drop to flat now & again and in all honesty that's all what really matters. that's what freeriding is all about to me, doing what i like doing on a bike.

i think you all should just chill out
there is absolutly no point, all they do is hurt you and your bike, how ****ing old are you?:banghead: