Quantcast

drops to flat

TROUT

Chimp
Sep 9, 2006
ELK GROVE
HOLY COW! WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE CARE ABOUT WHAT SOMEONE ELSE LIKES! IF HE WANTS TO HE CAN, YOU DONT LIKE TOO SO DONT!. FAWK IT'S A "FREE COUNTRY". too many people care about what other people do. the kids already explained himself numerous times.

so............................................. wheres the pics in this thread? is'nt that what this was for?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ Exactly. When a lot of kids get into mountain biking, they go through the drops-to-flat stage. I did, and so did my friends. It's better to do it on a hardtail, so you can land near vertical on the rear wheel w/o a shock messing you up. I have some pics (from SLO, CA) ...

my friend

him again

me - Where's my head? It suck's to be the photographer, and have your friend that don't know what they are doing take pics of you...

him

him again

" " He pushed 9.5" of travel into the ground....

him on my bike going off a table...

more...http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/mtnbrider/05 8 Biking in SLO w Justin

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yeah, that's my old helmet (i got a new one recently). I must have taken it off to take pics. Helmets can be so annoying when shooting.

edit: haha.... If you, look in the third pic where i'm jumping, i wasn't wearing my helmet (kind of dumb, but it's little...) and it's falling off the trailer's fender. :D :imstupid:

But, when I do leave the driveway, I always wear my helmet...just to clarify.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Sanjay loves to drop to flat too flat.

Pinkbike.com Photo of the year circa 2003.
Curb drop infront of the Chinese Restaurant in Truckee, CA

daviid

Chimp
Sep 16, 2006
dude calm down, i'm 14 and i dont think drops to flat are "tough and scary", i think that sometimes they are fun in the aftermath that you can say that you almost ate it hard because you overshot a decent drop of some kind. if youre whole life is about drops to flat, more power to you, its your choice and no-one will stop you.

heres a pic of my landing off of a good 12 foot drop (i did not intend to land flat, i just hit it with more speed that i realized i had):
wheres your back brake son?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow you almost bottomed out your monster t on a 8 foot drop to flat. you are arguing that drops to flat are exceptable when you are bottoming out a monster t on an 8 foot drop. okay yeh this thread is officially the best on ridemonkey.

wow you almost bottomed out your monster t on a 8 foot drop to flat. you are arguing that drops to flat are exceptable when you are bottoming out a monster t on an 8 foot drop. okay yeh this thread is officially the best on ridemonkey.

as i have said so many times, DO WHAT YOU WANT!!!
i (again) did not drop to flat on purpose, (again x5) i hit it with too much speed, i wasnt thinking right.

yeah, theyre acceptable, if you want to do them.
if you dont, well DONT!!!

oh yeah, the only reason the Monster got so far throught the travel was because i had landed front wheel first, but only a little before the back wheel.

Sep 17, 2006
Calaveras, the place of hidden treasure, decent building potential, and lots of ****ty riding everywhere else. I can agree it's not worth much of a drive if you don't live nearby, but there's a lot of terrain features people overlook because they are pretty spread out and not always easy to find for someone that's not a true local. The place has some pretty good building potential in places, it's just a matter of motivation for the riders who live nearby and can work on it. CheetaProwlerDH (Bryce) and I (Cory) have done a fair amount of building but it could still use quite a bit for it to be really fun. As of now some of the bigger stuff we have is a 30 foot double (measured by tape so it is fact), a landing for a ladder drop that isn't built yet (it's good for anything up to about 25 feet down and no farther than 10 feet out), and a 20 foot long hip with a 7 foot offset to the left. There's a lot more out there as well but it really is too much to list... we could always use more though

Sep 17, 2006
And the drop Bryce is on looks slightly bigger in person (I would venture 8 at the least and 12 at absolute max, top to bottom). It isn't meant for a drop but the hill has a tiny lip to it and falls away where you can launch down to just about anywhere you want in the tranny. I would prefer it to actually be a cliff drop but XC guys would probably regrade it, little kids may accidentally fall off of it with their families thinking it is another connecting trail (kinda like the small fire roads that connect the flats of Calaveras), and it's too much work just to make it look better in the pics.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
...But, when I do leave the driveway, I always wear my helmet...just to clarify.
lol i gave my self a mild concussion in my driveway....

i have to agree with someone else...most people hit drops to flat, and urban riding you come across lots of them, on an urban/street bike they aren't a big deal but fully's aren't ment to land in the lever motion of a hardtail landing to flat(if you know how) anyways just go ride and who cares who is dropping to flat, if they aren't doing it on your bike then it will not hurt you...other than your eyes, or in kanter's case he'll be laughing.

Sep 17, 2006
Haha you probably would have loved my previous bike that I gave that nickname to even more. It should have made history as the gnarliest costco bike to have ever been spawned by the creative minds of two 14 year old kids, a bunch of broken parts after hard riding, and a set of "new" parts off a '97 cheeta prowler. The only unbroken stock parts left on that bike before it died were the frame, stem, back brake lever, and seatpost (not the seat). The bars had snapped, brake cables snapped, forks were bent, seat ripped in half, cranks fell off, bearings in the BB were toast, and the list goes on.

Unfortunately because of the lack of opportunities of getting driven around to different riding places by our parents, we usually have to ride locally and build our own stuff wherever we go, not a completely bad thing... I would have just gotten my license around now if I was able to take drivers ed, however I still haven't been able to because I owe my dad $100 a month for the loan he gave me for my Big Hit and my parents want me to pay my own car insurance. Occasionally Bryce and I will get to go out to Ted Williams or anywhere else relatively close but that's about it. As of right now we are building a small DH run down a hillside that got all burnt up by a fire, so the conditions are prime for building especially because there are close to no bushes left over. My goal is to get out to Mt. Baldy when it opens up and spend as much time as I can riding out there.

Sep 17, 2006
Yeah I usually take the option line to the tranny on that last pic, but on that particular trail Bryce built everything to be as technical as he could make it (given where we built the trail, and that we didn't have wood for any skinnies). Sure it might not be fun, but I will admit that it makes you practice control on your lauches and landings. I've never personally built a drop with no tranny included, but if that's your thing, then what the hell, by all means go for it

the theme of the trail that those are on is basically, "Oh, god!!! stay on the bike!!!"... the trail has 1' deep whoops, a 3 step scary rough "staircase" that i cut into the hill, a 90 degree drop/corner/casemonster, and a good rough rock face up to the lip of a super fun left-turn hip... you can bomb it like crazy, but its also fun to get romped around in all the holes, rocks, and ruts.

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
As a guy who used to have his bike set up specifically so I could have the suspension suck up the landings I'll share my thoughts on the topic...
I had my bike set up with Avy front and rear and dual 24" wheels with 3.0 tires. The bike was great at sucking up big drops to flat...but sucked ass at anything else due to the heavy build and over damped suspension.

The best thing I ever did was to build it up with lighter components and get my shock set up for what suspension was designed for...traction! What a difference. I still drop the odd 5' ledge to flat just for kicks but nothing rivals the feeling of being able to pedal over the roughest ruts and roots on a trail at top speed!

Dropping to flat is what it is. A fun novelty but setting up your bike just for that purpose is silly. If you aren't bottoming your Monster T's on such a huge landing to flat then they are over sprung for any other type of riding. I now drop the same stuff I did with my Avalanche DHF 8 forks with my perfectly set up Marzocchi 66RC2X forks but I use up all the travel on the biggest obstacles I ride. No reason to have unused suspension travel as long as you're set up not to bottom harshly.