Quantcast

Drops with a tranny

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
YA so i can do drops to flat but i wanna try with a tranny. I heard its easier. How do u do it is it the same technique as dropping to flat??

Thanks

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would recommend not having your friends around when you do it. Nobody wants to be friends with someone who hangs out with a transvestite.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dropping to flat usually entails some sort of pronounced rear wheel first bias...to tranny you want to touch the wheels down at the same time. it's much less forceful on the bike and rider.

it's easier, unless there's a gap which you have to clear in order to land on the tranny; in that case, you need to be a good judge of speed.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
like how much should i pull up? Also is it ok if i land on my back wheel first or is that gonna lead to problems.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
matt2991 said:
like how much should i pull up? Also is it ok if i land on my back wheel first or is that gonna lead to problems.
It's okay if you land a little rear wheel heavy but the closer you are to your wheels touching at the same time, the easier the landing will be.

If you're headed down a hill, and you land heavily rear wheel first, the front of your bike is then going to slam into the ground which is going to be much more inclined to buck you right off over the bars.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You don't really need to pull up much (if at all). Just kind of push into your rear suspension, push your bars more forward instead of really pulling up and lean back as you come off. Start small. You don't want to try a proper drop on a 10 footer.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
landing back wheel first can also cause you to go over backwards in some instances.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
yeah i know all about that. i got the wind nocked out of me and huge bruses on my back and some large scapes from the rocks i landed on. the worst part bearmtnpicnic just laghed at me as i struggled for air and rolling around on the ground

batty_110

Chimp
Jun 15, 2006
Minnesota
okay, all this helps out one of my questions. The other is, how the heck do you keep the pedals on your feet? My bike always wants to leave me. I end up with my feet a couple inches above the pedals on the landing which must kill the bike.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Hahaha, doing no-footers off drops already?

When you go off, preload your shock (rear, not fork) and lean back. You want the front wheel to drop lower than the rear to land paralel to thel landing. Don't be afraid of leaning forward/down.

You probably aren't putting enough pressure on your pedals as you come off. Whe you land, gradually bend your knees. You are on a Full Suspension right?

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
yeah i agree with mtnbrider. its kinda like you are jumping of your bike when you drop off the ledge or whatever, but you dont jump up. let the suspention push against your feet and as you begin to leave the edged the two forces will hold your feet to the pedals. then as you experience the zero Gs of falling the bike and you will fall at the same rate, so you will stay on the pedals. i had the same problem when i learned to jump with flats on.

batty_110

Chimp
Jun 15, 2006
Minnesota
Okay. Sounds like a plan. Works great on my full suspension bike, but my hardtail's still being a butt and dropping like a rock. I'm not even going to go into how the hartail reacts to jumps.... It's like it's hooked up with lead weights or something. haha. maybe it is! Thing weighs a ton.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I got this great DVD, "Westcoast Style Freeride Fundamentals" and it goes over all this stuff very well. It's taught and narrated by women riders, but use Ryan Leech and Shaums March as demo riders. It's really good.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^That is good advice. I rode my moms ridgid bike one day when mine were broken. I hit all the doubles around my house. Later, when it got dark, I was pedaling up to my double, and had a bad thought just before reaching the lip (i could crash. whatever...). I got wierd in the air and ended up landing like a tabletop. The seatpost stripped...

But, ridgids are fun. I want to build up a steel ridgid bike one day. I want one for doing trials. It would have to be burly enough to do street riding and a little hucking.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
I got this great DVD, "Westcoast Style Freeride Fundamentals" and it goes over all this stuff very well. It's taught and narrated by women riders, but use Ryan Leech and Shaums March as demo riders. It's really good.
Do you have a website for this DVD or know a store to get it from? It sounds interesting...

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
okay, all this helps out one of my questions. The other is, how the heck do you keep the pedals on your feet? My bike always wants to leave me. I end up with my feet a couple inches above the pedals on the landing which must kill the bike.
You're pulling your feet up. The bike won't fall faster than your body.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Sort of surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. As you leave the ground, point your toes down about 45 degrees and push back (not down) with your feet against the pedals. Same principle as a bunny hop. In fact I like to do a little bunny hop off the lip. Nothing huge just something to pull the bike up towards your body. That kind of sticks you to the bike a little better and gives you control in the air.

Sort of surprised that no one has mentioned this yet. As you leave the ground, point your toes down about 45 degrees and push back (not down) with your feet against the pedals. Same principle as a bunny hop. In fact I like to do a little bunny hop off the lip. Nothing huge just something to pull the bike up towards your body. That kind of sticks you to the bike a little better and gives you control in the air.
thats exactly what you should do,
its pretty much the same movement as a bunny hop and if you do it right before you go off the edge, the bike will push up against your feet. and if you can, do it again in the air while leaning back and it will set you up perfectly for the landing

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Okay. Sounds like a plan. Works great on my full suspension bike, but my hardtail's still being a butt and dropping like a rock. I'm not even going to go into how the hartail reacts to jumps.... It's like it's hooked up with lead weights or something. haha. maybe it is! Thing weighs a ton.
Your hardtail isn't being a butt, it's you. You should learn on a hardtail because when you do it right, it'll feel good. A FS soaks alot up so you can get away with mistakes.

Landing rear wheel is ugly except to flat in trials and dangerous. Of course no one wants to do a nose-wheelie either...

I have had that weird feeling of the bike dropping quicker than myself and it was because I had used up all my body suspension, ie my legs were stretched out rather than absorbing and bent. You need to be in the proper position to take a drop and you don't need to pull up unless you're going too slow. Get somewhat in the back seat, bend knees, elbows out, I call it the frog position, then go. Claw at the pedals too.

I second the Westcoast Freeride Fundamentals tape. We took a class up at Whistler from one of those instructors. She was great.