Quantcast

DRS or STS ?

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
Hi all,

I need some advice on what type of chain guide I should install on my new rig.

My concern is the efficiency of device designed to handle 2 chainring setup. Are they as good as single ring devices? On long and rocky section, I want the chainguide to do what it's suppose to do, I mean keeping the chain on the chainring.

I'm mainly looking at e.13 DRS ans STS device. Is the DRS good enough to keep the chain on the ring at all time?

The question of should I ride 1 or 2 chainrings is not that important; let me explain. I plan to enter a freeride race later this summer. For that I must have a chainguide. Single ring setup would be the best I assume, but if DRS is good, I would reuse the chainguide in other occasion.

Thanks for your help.

Y

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hi all,

I need some advice on what type of chain guide I should install on my new rig.

My concern is the efficiency of device designed to handle 2 chainring setup. Are they as good as single ring devices? On long and rocky section, I want the chainguide to do what it's suppose to do, I mean keeping the chain on the chainring.

I'm mainly looking at e.13 DRS ans STS device. Is the DRS good enough to keep the chain on the ring at all time?

The question of should I ride 1 or 2 chainrings is not that important; let me explain. I plan to enter a freeride race later this summer. For that I must have a chainguide. Single ring setup would be the best I assume, but if DRS is good, I would reuse the chainguide in other occasion.

Thanks for your help.

Y
Hi Yanick,
What frame and crankset do you have? The STS is designed for a 36T max chainring, on elevated or level chainstay design frames.

Our dual ring guides will hold a chain just fine, but of course for maximum security (in a downhill situation) a single ring guide would be ideal.

I can give you more specific fitment information once I know what frame and cranks you have.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro 2010, Medium. No ISCG tabs though.
Shimano XT crank, M770

thanks

Last edited:

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
If you do run it as a single ring, keep the front derailleur on. Dual ring guides are meant to be used with a front derailleur to keep the chain on. Just use the limit screw to get it as close to rubbing when in the largest cog. I used both a Blackspire and DRS and I had the chain fall into the small ring before, but it's pretty rare.