Quantcast

Drug Czar denies ~ 800,000 are arrested anually for pot, 872,721 arrested in 2007.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
http://blog.norml.org/2008/10/23/drug-czar-busted-again/

Like the Energizer bunny, Drug Czar John Walters’ lies just keep on coming. It was only one-month ago when the Czar made a fool of himself on cable television — denying the fact the law enforcement arrest 800,000+ individuals on pot charges each year. (The FBI’s 2008 Uniform Crime Report, released just days after Walters’ absurd denial, showed that police made a record 872,721 marijuana arrests in 2007.)

Walters further embarrassed himself by claiming that the likelihood of finding a marijuana smoker in prison or jail for pot possession is like finding a “unicorn” — a claim that is readily rebutted by the US Department of Justice’s own data, as well as by the startling number of former ‘unicorns’ who wrote to NORML here.
I was under the impression that the Drug Czar should know about drug stuff?

Anyway, I thought the "unicorn" comment was pretty funny.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have a friend that spent three months in jail for something along the lines of a dead plant in his room and a fourth of an ounce in possession.

Ah, Utah.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Wait, so now we're imprisoning unicorns too?

Our culture of criminalization has truly gotten out of hand.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
:biggrin:
I have a live song with Bounty Killa where he walks on stage and smells all the niceness and says to the crowd "YOU MUTHA FUKKIN JUNKIES". It's incredible how the US governments 1920-30 propaganda turned the commonly well liked hemp into a dirty Mexican thing called marijuana. I have some good documentaries and clips on the subject if you're interested. Like the clip Hemp For Victory for instance. Youtube it.

Wait, so now we're imprisoning unicorns too?

Our culture of criminalization has truly gotten out of hand.
Nah, prisons are just good business, mate.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have a friend that spent three months in jail for something along the lines of a dead plant in his room and a fourth of an ounce in possession.

Ah, Utah.
They were the first state to criminalize marijuana and pushed hard for its prohibition in the 30's. Apparently too many Mormons were exploiting a loophole in the scripture (alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine are no good, but nothing about weed) and coming back from Mexican Mormon villages with a new pastime.