Quantcast

Drummers/musicians - Electronic Drums?

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
My daughter wants a drum set for her birthday. Mom is dead set against a real kit because of the noise. So electronic is the compromise. I have no clue and told the kid to show me some examples. $799 and $895 were her 2 samples. Way outside of proposed maximum budget of $300. Do not want to buy a separate amp. Must have speakers or ability to hook up speakers/stereo system or headphones.

Any advice or suggestions?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My daughter wants a drum set for her birthday. Mom is dead set against a real kit because of the noise. So electronic is the compromise. I have no clue and told the kid to show me some examples. $799 and $895 were her 2 samples. Way outside of proposed maximum budget of $300. Do not want to buy a separate amp. Must have speakers or ability to hook up speakers/stereo system or headphones.

Any advice or suggestions?
$300 is limiting but not impossible.

Electronic drums SUCK to learn on.

Go to:

A) Guitar Center (online or in person)

or

B) Musicians Friend (online)

Buy the cheapest kit they have in standard sizes.

Try this:
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pulse-5Piece-Kit-with-Cymbals?sku=443859

Or similar.

Buy a set of "Sound-off" or silencers for them. Basically they are neoprene pads that cover the drum heads. You get a very similar rebound and feel but they are almost as quiet as electronic drums. (sometimes quieter than the really cheap electros)

I prefer the DW stuff, officially.
http://www.dwdrums.com/smartpractice/
http://www.dwdrums.com/smartpractice/goanywhere.htm

I have the practice pad kit, it's awesome.

:D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW -

It's good to start em young...

Soon the living room will look like:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would get her a basic snare/hi-hat/cymbal with practice pads.

Many a drummer started with much less.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
to post something of value... other than the above...

I agree with H8R!

get a real kit. You can find stuff on Craigslist for a good price or hit guitar center. They have unreal prices on good equipment! and they carry good used gear as well!

even though you are forced to cut down the noise (which can be done with muffling covers) it is nice to have a real kit to be able to take those mufflers off and play real drums!

IMO electronic drums feal like crap! Plus to get any volume out of them you need to amp them up etc. etc.

get a real kit and some muffling covers and you will not regret it!

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
Thank you all for the information.
She has a friend willing to sell an old kit for $200. We may just go with that and some of those pads. Convincing Mom will be the hard part. :)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
She has a friend willing to sell an old kit for $200. We may just go with that and some of those pads. Convincing Mom will be the hard part. :)

asking forgiveness is always easier than asking permission!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
That would be a much better way to go IMHO as a teacher. It's WAY better to learn on an actual kit and they really aren't loud/annoying if you use the silencers. Your daughter's music teacher will thank you!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I remember getting this kit for Christmas one year:

I think I was 9 :D They were awesome for like 3 months.