Quantcast

Drying a bike

RadRacer84

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
I work at a bike shop but when I get my bike wet it is normally away from the shop and I just take it home. At the shop I would use a air compressor to blow out the water in the headset/bb/casset/ect but at home I do not have that luxury. How can I dry my bike so it doesn't rust up when there is not a air compressor presant?

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
shammy. Just like your car. This takes time.

My method of drying my bike is a trip around the block at 60 MPH with my bike on my roof rack.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Better be carefull with compressed air drying. Its awful easy to blow water past "seals". Just let it air dry. Why is it so important to have the bike dry quickly? If you keep it outside then yes it needs to be dried particularly in cold wet weather. I keep mine indoors so its not an issue. In the shed I kept a cheap heater and turned it on for a couple hours after each ride in winter.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by oldfart
Better be carefull with compressed air drying. Its awful easy to blow water past "seals". .
And another thing, don't use compressed air against bearing serfaces to the point you make the Very loud, high pitched zing. Its a really good way to superheat the bearings and blow them apart. I know this sounds hoaky and unlikely but it WILL happen. Imagine a ball bearing traveling at 70+mph hitting you in the eye.:eek: :eek: :cool: (I've heard of this happening a few times.)

RadRacer84

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
I know everything about compressed air but thanks for those tips anyways. But is is good for others to know about it too. The whole reason that I was wondering how to dry my bike is to make sure that it doesn't rust. I have an 1800 dollar bikie and I don't want it to be messed up to quickly or at all.
thanks again
RadRacer84

mtbmxer

Chimp
Sep 6, 2001
Baltimore, Maryland
You should also get some Weigles Frame treatment from your shop. I think QBP carries it. It's a protectant for steel frames, that way you can just let it air dry, because the frame tubing is treated from the inside out by spraying it in the breather holes in the head tube ,and bottom bracket shell. It's worth the small investment to preserve a nice steel frame! Try it

G

gravity

if u've paid that much for your bike.....then logically thinking, nearly everything would be made of aluminium or magnesium (forks and shocks are generally magnesium)......neither of which rust! Obviously some parts such as bearings are made from steel, but these parts, when greased and properly covered (as they would be on a bike of that price) are not affected by water. And of course there are parts which are made of corrodable metals, but these are usually painted (so no rust anyway) or covered (ie bearings). So I wouldn't worry too much about rusting! Oh yeah, cables may be steel, but they are covered for the most part and dry easily anyway.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Tie a rope to your bike and then spin around as fast as you can until your dizzy...see if that works and let me know how you feel after.;) :p :D :eek: D

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
on bearings when there is water on the bike. the water will penetrate the seals, and you need new bearings. If your bike is aluminum, just flip it upside down and let the water drain out. You want to make sure your BB is fully coated with grease, as this will stop water from settling on the BB. ALways clean off areas with bearings, and spray some oil or lube on it, not WD-40, whichh will usually force the water out with it...