Quantcast

DT super comp Q?

Hairyballs

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Sweden
Is there anyone running these spokes for downhillracing, how are these compared to DT competition spokes(on my bike now)? Im maybe will be building new wheels this winter, and im thinking about weight. Is it worth it or just a waste of money?

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
The Supercomps work great for dh imo. I've buildt me a set before this season, and I've been doing my best to kill'em. But they're true and tight. If you saving weight go for it. Als use a lightweight rim and alu nipps in the front, saves alot. 823 + 819 rims is my suggestion.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If money is no object, I would Sapim's CX-Ray spokes. They are 5 times as much as regular DT spokes, but they are 200 gms lighter and recommended for DH.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
DT champion spokes: 222g for 32
DT competition spokes: 191g for 32
DT supercomp spokes: 159g for 32
Sapim CX-Ray spokes: 139g for 32

There you go.
Anyone else running supercomp's for DH?
I'd like to run them (cheaper than CXrays) but have an unfounded fear of casing a big gap and having a wheel explode on me. Not likely to happen?

Also - are users of them noticing any excess flex when punching into hard corners?

My plan was to go competitions on the rear, and supercomps on the front. But if there is noticeable flexing or anyone who's blown apart a wheel i'll stick with comps. :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I ran revolutions for a while on a set of trail rims, then went to 14/15s. There was a definate difference in wheel stiffness between the two builds.

I would like to see some elongation/elasticity test results for some different spokes. Sapim goes on and on about fatigue cycles, but that is EASY to get if the spoke is highly elastic.

he prob ment 200g/wheelset
That still does not work. cx-Ray vs 14/15 = about 100g for the SET.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
he prob ment 200g/wheelset
I meant 200g per spoke, bitches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously about 200g a wheelset, and with the alloy nipples, it is another big weight savings over brass.

I think the big difference is the Sapim's are recommended for DH where other spokes are not. Take what you want from that.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I just posted the weights, surely estimations of "about 100g" and "about 200g" are not neccessary now.

The difference between cxrays and champions (14g) in a wheelset will be 166g.

What do you guys pay for cxrays over there though, anyone got figures? Supercomps and comps are much much cheaper and not a whole lot heavier - hence my asking about supercomps.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If money is no object, I would Sapim's CX-Ray spokes. They are 5 times as much as regular DT spokes, but they are 200 gms lighter and recommended for DH.
Uh, one wheels worth of DB spokes is 200g, one wheel's worth of super-butted revolution spokes is about 140, I doubt we're going to save 200g here, even per wheelset.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
DT butted spokes (comp, supercomp, revos) are about $60 - 65 per 100. The CX-Rays are about $2.10 each.

And the weight differences are 'about', for many reasons. The mfg weights will vary, spoke count will vary, and spoke length will vary as well. :biggrin:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
here's a pic I ran into when i was investigating spokes a few years back that might be helpful to someone. I've ran Sapim CX Ray's and i'd have no problem running them on a DH bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's a crazy chart. It lists the DT spokes in the 264 length, and all others in shorter lengths. What is up with that?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They are just theoretical figures though, and calculated on the square diameter of the thinnest section. From what I can see it does not take into account where the butting starts and ends - and surely that has an effect on stiffness.

Notice the DT competition vs Sapim Race (both 2.0/1.8/2.0), both are given the same stiffness figure, however the Sapim is lighter! That would lead me to believe the Sapim has a longer butted middle section and therefore should be a little less stiff. Unless they actually took the spoke length into consideration, then it makes more sense - but a better method would then have been to equalize the spoke lengths and recalculate the weights first.

Nice chart nonetheless (better something than nothing) but I can't help but think it could have been done much, much better.