Quantcast

DT350 binding

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Got some new fancy wheels and I'm having a problem with a binding XG cassette not spinning freely.

Dismantled the hub, watched a few YT videos. Bearings where a little tight, I taped out the non-drive side bearing a tiny bit and now everything spins smoothly without play. But still, once on the bike with rear axle properly torque it's still binding.

Anyone ever experienced that?

Some people are talking about a rubber seal not pressed in correctly? Where?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dropouts too wide and causing axle to bend when tightened?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Dropouts too wide and causing axle to bend when tightened?
Not supposed to. Boost hub on boost frame. Fits perfect when I slide it in.

After another hour of fiddling with this, it seems the rubber seal pressed into hub shell might not be pressed far enough in. If I remove matching seal on free hub everything runs fine. Either that or I'm missing another thin spacer somewhere. No YT videos or DT diagrams shows an extra spacer. Will contact DT Swiss.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I recently rebuilt a Hadley hub and took off the microspline freehub, installing a standard HG freehub.

When I put it all together the axle lock nut didnt stick out from cassette lockring far enough and when tensioned down, the frame made contact with the cassette lockring.

I called Hadley and they sent me the proper locknut which was 4 mm longer and kept the frame from making contact with the cassette.

Not sure if thats what your going through but it sounds similar. Everything spins fine when not tensioned but when tensioned the cassette binds.

20230623_221351.jpg

Cheers

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I recently rebuilt a Hadley hub and took off the microspline freehub, installing a standard HG freehub.

When I put it all together the axle lock nut didnt stick out from cassette lockring far enough and when tensioned down, the frame made contact with the cassette lockring.

I called Hadley and they sent me the proper locknut which was 4 mm longer and kept the frame from making contact with the cassette.

Not sure if thats what your going through but it sounds similar. Everything spins fine when not tensioned but when tensioned the cassette binds.

View attachment 197191

Cheers
I've had that problem before with a Hope hub. Just needed the right end cap. I've got plenty of clearance between cassette and frame/hanger. It's really the dual seal contact that is too snug. Sent SC an DT messages.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Got 10 240 or 350 hubbed bikes in our fleet and not run into that. I've swapped freehubs around a bunch of times on them and don't recall seal issues. Post up what you get back from them.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
SC got back to me saying that my seals might not be correct. Seal around freehub should be tight, mine falls off if I turn freehub over. They are sending the ball into DT Swiss yard... Of which I never heard back after emailing customer support.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
SC got back to me saying that my seals might not be correct. Seal around freehub should be tight, mine falls off if I turn freehub over. They are sending the ball into DT Swiss yard... Of which I never heard back after emailing customer support.
Who did you buy the wheelset from? I'd be considering sending back to them.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Who did you buy the wheelset from? I'd be considering sending back to them.
You seem to think I can afford new wheels. :rolleyes:
I have yet to contact the seller about this. He was using the microspline freehub. I'd rather figure it out myself. SC gave me the correct email for US DT Swiss. Let's see how it goes from here. I want to sort this out not necessarily attempt getting this warrantied.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You seem to think I can afford new wheels. :rolleyes:
I have yet to contact the seller about this. He was using the microspline freehub. I'd rather figure it out myself. SC gave me the correct email for US DT Swiss. Let's see how it goes from here. I want to sort this out not necessarily attempt getting this warrantied.
Pretty sure I've got at least one or two takeoff freehubs sitting in spares if you want me to take photos or anything.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Pretty sure I've got at least one or two takeoff freehubs sitting in spares if you want me to take photos or anything.
Plot thickens. On your freewheel, do you have a kind of o-ring seal at the base? The guy at DT says there is only one seal??

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Plot thickens. On your freewheel, do you have a kind of o-ring seal at the base? The guy at DT says there is only one seal??
If you mean the freehub, I looked in my spares and could only find a mountain HG. There doesn't seem to be a soft seal from my poking it with a fingernail.

Didn't have time to pull one off a bike and see what seal might be pressed into the hub shell. I can do that, but won't be until next weekend.
20230730_195540.jpg

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
If you mean the freehub, I looked in my spares and could only find a mountain HG. There doesn't seem to be a soft seal from my poking it with a fingernail.

Didn't have time to pull one off a bike and see what seal might be pressed into the hub shell. I can do that, but won't be until next weekend.
View attachment 197902
I'm starting to wonder if I have the correct freehub for this hub. Mine, although XG, doesn't look like this at the base... No need to pull your wheel apart, but thanks.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@Jozz Did you figure it out ?
My boost DT350 has a rubber seal in the shell, but nothing on the steel MS cassette body. I'd say the only seal there must be in the hub shell. Here it is before the re-grease.

350-hub-seal.jpg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Thanks for that. Pretty much confirm that I don't have the correct freehub.
Did the freehub come with the wheels?

I don't know if the newer 240 EXP freehubs are different from the older 240/350 ones. That could be it.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Did the freehub come with the wheels?

I don't know if the newer 240 EXP freehubs are different from the older 240/350 ones. That could be it.
It did, seller gave me the choice between microspline or XD. Thinking he was using Shimano and had this extra freehub he might have been told was compatible.