Quantcast

Dual booting with Linux and XP

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am looking at a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 for a laptop. I would prefer linux but I am afraid of something ridiculous like a stupid WMP vid or an app that I need to run.

1. Does anyone know if Dell will sell a dual booted system?

2. If not, then would be smarter to buy an XP system then install linux as opposed to the other way around?

I would think the issues are: buying a XP license, proper device drivers for windows, and that I could probably find a good version of linux (I assume Ubuntu) that should find.

Or is there another company which will sell a dual booted laptop?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I am looking at a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 for a laptop. I would prefer linux but I am afraid of something ridiculous like a stupid WMP vid or an app that I need to run.

2. If not, then would be smarter to buy an XP system then install linux as opposed to the other way around?

I would think the issues are: buying a XP license, proper device drivers for windows, and that I could probably find a good version of linux (I assume Ubuntu) that should find.

Or is there another company which will sell a dual booted laptop?
Just run Ubuntu and use Wine for Winblows programs. I do it all the time. I don't miss XP one bit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No. Last time I talked to a sales rep they'll do one or the other.

Yes. Why would you pay for an XP license that you get heavily subsidized in the computer? Install the free OS afterwards.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Acer Aspire One comes w/ XP Home at Walmart for $350.00

Toss Ubuntu on it and you have a winner.

1GB ram, 160GB hard drive. (not an SSD)

They're nice. The keyboard ain't so cramped. I'm picking one up later after I'm done buying textile equipment.

:hmm:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am pretty unadventurous when it comes to computers. I have bought several Dells over the years, knowing I am paying more for the brand name.

I have had good luck with Dell, so I think it has worked out.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, i just built up a new desktop with some spare parts from a friend and some newegg purchases. Downloading ubuntu right now and I'm going to give that a try, then maybe when windows 7 comes out I'll make the switch.

However I am going to try wine and if I can run GIS software on linux I'll stick with it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Yeah, i just built up a new desktop with some spare parts from a friend and some newegg purchases. Downloading ubuntu right now and I'm going to give that a try, then maybe when windows 7 comes out I'll make the switch.

However I am going to try wine and if I can run GIS software on linux I'll stick with it.
The other option is Virtualbox in Ubuntu. You make a separate install of Windows (or any other OS). It works really well.

I am pretty unadventurous when it comes to computers. I have bought several Dells over the years, knowing I am paying more for the brand name.

I have had good luck with Dell, so I think it has worked out.
I have had good luck with Optiplex desktops and various laptops. I am not fond of their servers because Dell server management tools suck the big root.

He's going to spend a lot less time making Linux work than he will fixing windows every 48 hours.
Crap. XP Pro is stable and fast, as are the server operating systems. I cannot speak to Vista because I decided to pass based on the poor reputation it built as it was released.

If you need to "fix Windows every 48 hours" you are incompetent.

Last edited:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, xp really benefits from periodic re-installs to keep it feeling snappy, but honestly all my system failures have been a result of hardware, viruses or my own stupidity. I've reinstalled the system 4 times in 6 years on my old machine and with ath xp 1900+ and 512mb ram it boots and runs just fine with very little noticeable lag unless i'm doing something heavy duty.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
must admit, while xp (basic & pro) has been underwhelming, i haven't bsod'd once.
same for vista, but it's only been 5 months

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have a tiny bit of experience with Dell servers, but just with linux. F WinSrv.

The desktops have not have any major failures for me, knock on wood.

I am not in love with XP, but I want to be able to run Microsoft-dependent crap when I need to, not hack it up.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Acer Aspire One comes w/ XP Home at Walmart for $350.00

Toss Ubuntu on it and you have a winner.

1GB ram, 160GB hard drive. (not an SSD)

They're nice. The keyboard ain't so cramped. I'm picking one up later after I'm done buying textile equipment.

:hmm:
With the 6-cell battery? I was following a thread on another forum where they were talking about this deal and a lot of people were saying that at the store the actual computer was the 120gb/3-cell battery model. Not such a screaming deal. It was suggested buyers check well.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
FWIW -

I just did a clean install of XP using the whole disk. I then booted to the Ubuntu CD, ran the install. Ubuntu partitioned the drive, and installed without issue. And I am a complete linux n00b.

Seems to be running OK so far but it's only been a week.

Last edited: