Quantcast

Dual Slalom race/jam in Griffin, GA

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Chuck asked me to post this on spankmonkey.

April22 there will be a dual slalom race and jam at Chuck's practice track in Griffin, GA.
No entry fees and no details yet. But more to come.

If it doesn't rain this weekend I will get some shots and post them.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Cool! Here is how the early season schedule looks:
April:
8th- Bigfoot
22nd- Griffin, Ga
May:
13th- Massanutten
20th- ETSU #1
27-28- US Open
June:
3rd- ETSU #2
9-11- Sugar NCS
16-18- Mt Snow
24-25- Snowshoe #1

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
motomike said:
Sweet! How long does it take you to get to the triad(Greensboro or Winston-Salem). I'd love to come race/ride.
+/- six hours. There's a big park, two BMX tracks and the Thomson DJs all within an hour radius of Chuck's so make a long weekend of it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
JeffD said:
+/- six hours. There's a big park, two BMX tracks and the Thomson DJs all within an hour radius of Chuck's so make a long weekend of it.
Cool thanks. Could I base out of Alferetta(sp?)? I don't know where it is in relation to Chuck's.

stanky_dlx

Chimp
Dec 16, 2003
Hotlanta
motomike said:
Cool thanks. Could I base out of Alferetta(sp?)? I don't know where it is in relation to Chuck's.

Alpharetta is an hour and a half to two hour drive to chucks. Depending on how heavy your right foot is.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Mike, Alpharetta is close to Mansell Rd., or what's left of it, and the Johnson's Ferry Rd. DJs. But if you can get through Chuck's DJs everything else around will be child's play. At least stop in and check out Mansell. There is still stuff out there but it's like visiting a national monument. Too bad you never got to ride it in it's heyday. It's still worth an afternoon on the big bike. If I lived closer the stupid jump would be up and running.
There is another BMX track that is @ an hour away in Carollton. This track has mtnx written all over it. The elevation gain is better than some mtnx tracks.

BTW, I have floor space for a few folks and I'm pretty sure you can camp at Chuck's but it will be primitive.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Peete said:
Mike, Alpharetta is close to Mansell Rd., or what's left of it, and the Johnson's Ferry Rd. DJs. But if you can get through Chuck's DJs everything else around will be child's play. At least stop in and check out Mansell. There is still stuff out there but it's like visiting a national monument. Too bad you never got to ride it in it's heyday. It's still worth an afternoon on the big bike. If I lived closer the stupid jump would be up and running.
There is another BMX track that is @ an hour away in Carollton. This track has mtnx written all over it. The elevation gain is better than some mtnx tracks.

BTW, I have floor space for a few folks and I'm pretty sure you can camp at Chuck's but it will be primitive.
I remeber hitting the Stupid jump all day before the old ATL Supercross every year. That place was a lot of fun for as little land was out there. I have a lot of Pics and Videos of all of us old SEI guys playing around.

Mansell is currently OFF LIMITS! Us locals are asking people to stay out for the time being. There are plans being cooked up to re-work and 'improve' the trails. If a bunch of us keep poaching it, we'll lose it all together.
The only thing you can ride out there now is a pretty flat XC trail. It doesn't go near the Mansell stuff.
Some of the SoFa guys can probably shed more light on it.

In a related story...I'm enrolled in the next trail building class. Once I get certified, look out! I've got 400 acres to woprk with.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
jet said:
Mansell is currently OFF LIMITS! Us locals are asking people to stay out for the time being. There are plans being cooked up to re-work and 'improve' the trails. If a bunch of us keep poaching it, we'll lose it all together.
The only thing you can ride out there now is a pretty flat XC trail. It doesn't go near the Mansell stuff.
Some of the SoFa guys can probably shed more light on it.

In a related story...I'm enrolled in the next trail building class. Once I get certified, look out! I've got 400 acres to woprk with.
That's great Tom, you'll get to learn how to flatten terrain with a Dingo and how to safely cut out those annoying roots with an ax.

Stupid jump is in an area not controlled by the police state of Roswell nor any of the bike path organizations.

Sounds like SoFa is SoFa king tired of rambo and is giving up on Mansell.:clue: You must not have gotten the email.

Anyway, as more details become available I will pass them on.

No, actually I didn't hear that news. I'm not surprised tho. The RAMBO ass-hats are quite a funny bunch. I've had them tell me personnaly about riding illegal trails. Then promote it on the SORBA website.

Yes I will learn how to use a Dingo, but I won't be the one cutting out all of the 'tech' terrain on my trails either. When we did the South loop at Blankets,I was the one yelling at everyone to NOT cut the roots.

We have plans, we have plans...

K2

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys,

Just wanted to clarify some things about SoFA and RAMBO. We have a great relationship with RAMBO. Were it not for those guys, we wouldn't have been given the opportunity to organize a freeride chapter in the first place. In addition, they have done everything possible to give us areas to build in. They are somewhat limited by the land managers, but whenever approval can be obtained, their response to us is to "go for it". Central Park, whether you like it or not, was basically given to us by RAMBO and they have been the ones pushing for us to continue to have access at Mansell/Big Creek. Whatever comment was made about an email and future work at Big Creek, the basic frustration on the part of SoFA has nothing to do with RAMBO, but instead dealing with people that go in and build without approval. It makes it hard on everyone and will end up causing us to lose all privilages there. I hope this clears up some issues.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Kathryn- I just wanted to clarify that I do not think RAMBO as a whole is completely messed up. I know there are some really great people in that group. I've just had too many run-ins with a few select members that have obviously left me with a bad impression.

And I was drinking. Maybe I need a disclaimer in my sig.

We may have to hook up for some of the new stuff at Blankets. We are about to get a ton of more land with really good potential. If we run into each other out there, I'll have to show you around.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
jet said:
Kathryn- I just wanted to clarify that I do not think RAMBO as a whole is completely messed up. I know there are some really great people in that group. I've just had too many run-ins with a few select members that have obviously left me with a bad impression.

And I was drinking. Maybe I need a disclaimer in my sig.

We may have to hook up for some of the new stuff at Blankets. We are about to get a ton of more land with really good potential. If we run into each other out there, I'll have to show you around.
Tom, are you e-hitting on Kathryn?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Yes, she's been recovered for a while and just took a year off. She wants to start up racing again on the MTB and BMX. Right now we sneak in some trail rides when she isn't busy and the weather is decent.
I took her up to BF in the fall to ride. She was rusty but could still ride. She demo'ed one of the Morewood slalom bikes and really liked that ride. But I couldn't get her one unless she dropped all other activities and devoted her life to it.
The Sugar national will probably be a family thing. If I could afford take her to Sea Otter I know she would be permenently hooked on the sport.
Tom, are you going to show up at BF? I'm trying to work a deal with the wife she takes the kids home after the race and I stay to ride WR sunday. Probabaly won't pan out but it's worth a shot.

K2

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Hey Tom, I'd love to see what you guys are doing out at Blankets. Sounds like there will be some great opportunities. Glad to hear your daughter is doing better Pete :) .

Kathryn

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
well guys. i have this big ole hill,and the layout for what could be some nice trails here in kennesaw....but i need people that can work with a left handed shovel. i cannot build these alone. all the help,means all the more jumps. its called mt krashesaw. just look for the big green water tower off of barrett prkw

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
A couple shots of Chuck's dual slalom.
This place is a blast. It's a shame we can't get anyone to come out and ride it with us.
We're heading out tomorrow to do some fine tuning and riding.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
wow looks like that place has changed a lot.

of course i have'nt been down there in over a year
:banghead:

got any more pics?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
mmaddmark said:
well guys. i have this big ole hill,and the layout for what could be some nice trails here in kennesaw....but i need people that can work with a left handed shovel. i cannot build these alone. all the help,means all the more jumps. its called mt krashesaw. just look for the big green water tower off of barrett prkw

By 41 / town center?

private or public or don't know?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
DVNT said:
wow looks like that place has changed a lot.

of course i have'nt been down there in over a year
:banghead:

got any more pics?
Yeah, got a bunch that are too big to post. All of the upper half. PM your email and I'll send them.
Pretty much everything is changed except for the left line in the rhythm section.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Chuck is going after the rhythm section with a bobcat tomorrow.
Basically the far left pro line will stay but get narrowed. Just to the right of it will be the am/scrub line and to the right of that will be another pro line identical to the left one. Then next to that will be another am/scrub line. So you will have your own rhythm for the race.

He's also going to make a better lander and flatten out the valley for the Super Dave jump. I'll post pics of the aftermath.