Quantcast

Dual Slalom Rides

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Here's my question.... I built up a Dobermann Pinscher as mainly a dirt/park bike. I was wanting to run it SS and currently am.

Can you be competitive at all running a SS bike? (I am in the midwest so don't get to race a ton of dual/4X.) I wanted kind of an all around bike. Would I be better off going to a 1X9 setup? What kind of guides would I be looking at for a setup on profile cranks without mounts on my frame?

The fork is a slammed 4X that I can always put stock internals in if I am planning on doing a serious amount of racing at a given time.

Thoughts? You can PM me if you don't think the reply belongs in this thread.

Thanks
i am racing some 4x this year and have a pincher on 24's
i am converting. i think the best will be a SS rear hub with 4-5 gears.
you get the dishless quality of stiffness and great chain line.

drop whatever fork to like 80mm and you are race ready.

i have done SS in 4x is all about the gate, you got to have a
gate gear.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
So what gear do you run (or would you run on a 26)? Right now I have a 4X set at 72mm. I can get internals and bump it to 80 if needed.
naaaa for most tracks thats fine.

i am setting mine up with a 32 - 12-14-17-21-25 with 180's
i think for about 6' 180 are mandatory for 4x.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland

180s? Damn, I thought it was the other way around. I thought you wanted shorter Crank arms i.e 165 for Slalom and 4x so that you can speed up your cadence quicker. So If I'm 6' 1" I should be runnin 180s?

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL

So how does that convert to 26" apx? I am running 180s as well. What are my options for chain guides (I'm not used to running a BMX style crank)? Can I get enough chain tension with a long cage derrailleur or is everyone running short cage?

Thanks for the tips. Trying to make this thing as versatile as possible.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
So how does that convert to 26" apx? I am running 180s as well. What are my options for chain guides (I'm not used to running a BMX style crank)? Can I get enough chain tension with a long cage derrailleur or is everyone running short cage?

Thanks for the tips. Trying to make this thing as versatile as possible.
Your Dérailleur cage length depends more on your Gearing combination. I don't think the chain tension is any different between a long or short cage Dérailleur.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I was under the impression that you could get higher tension with a short cage. Either way I have an X.0 long cage sitting here unused that could be put to good use I suppose along with an X.9 shifter. And what are my options for a chain guide since the frame doesn't have mounts? Lot good extra gears do me if I drop the chain out of the gate...

And a pic of the bike so I don't whore this up with nothing but words. Right now it is at about 33 pounds I think with really heavy wheels. When I come into some cash it will be getting lighter rims.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yeah, i would only use a short cage. sram pref. b/d they don't bounce around like a shimano. watch this

as got guide an e13 has bb cup mounts, guides with weird cranks
sometimes are a hard mount, but i think e13 does the best job
fitting everything.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
bcd, by 180's do you mean crankarm length?
yeah, but its debatable. i like 180's b/c i am not a huge guy and
need all the leverage i can get in getting my bike moving. light
wheels are just as important though on gate snaps.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
What is the geo like on the turner 4x's? Specifically the TT length, BB height, wheelbase, CS length and HA?

Thanks

The Turner 4X numbers:
TT 22", BB 13" (w/100mm fork), CS 15.9", HA 69, not sure of the WB, I'd have to check.
Very sweet ride if you can get one.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
If you had to pick one gear to race 4X/DS with what would it be? (26" wheels not 24") I am thinking of trying it SS before dumping money into a new derrailleur, chain guide, etc.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think it depends on the course, I've done DS races where SS guys did awesome but I've also been to races where they've maxed out their gearing 100 feet into the course. Give it a try first, you'll have fun regardless.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think you need at least 3 gears to be legal...at least that's how it was a couple years ago.

Here's my old bike
They aren't very Strict about that rule unless you're at really top level races. I did a bunch of Norba sanctioned races last summer and Collegiate races last fall and there were plenty of people running SS.

Feb 11, 2008

This picture is pretty old
It now has:
Reba SL 100m fork
Crossmax SL
Small Block 8 1.95 front and rear
Avid Carbon Brakes with 7" in front 6" rear
08' XT cranks 32' front
X9 Mid Cage
Sram Road Cassette
Thompson x4 stem
Hell Bent Carbon bars
Shimano Plastic Clipless pedals
Yeti Lock On grips
Carbon Seat Post

The bike may not be the strongest but I love it. It weights about 25lb.