Quantcast

Duolingo, anyone?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I want to learn deutch besser.
Deutsch or dutch? Sorry, couldn't resist...
Deutsch is one of the harder languages to learn. We got so many irregularities and sometimes plain stupid rules in grammar, it's even hard for our kids. Take numbers for example. Every other language I know of first name the digits from left to right - not so in German. It's not thirty-one but one-thirty - stupid!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Learned my Spanish basics from duolingo as well.
But I didnt really speak Spanish until I started using it every day when I was living in Panama...
The funny thing is that I speak some Spanish every day, and used to go to Peru a few times a year...I just never truly learned the basics well. I cringe when I think of some of the stuff I used to think was O.K.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Been using it for German. At one point was conversationally fluent (spent a year there in HS) but have lost so much of it over the years.

Easy way to brush up on existing ability, and pick up some new.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Deutsch is one of the harder languages to learn. We got so many irregularities and sometimes plain stupid rules in grammar, it's even hard for our kids. Take numbers for example. Every other language I know of first name the digits from left to right - not so in German. It's not thirty-one but one-thirty - stupid!
The numbers is easy enough, ein und dreizig und seiben hundred.

Nouns and verbs is a mind-fuck. How do you know what "gender" the noun is? Guess? Just "have to know"? There's no real rule for it, then conjugating the verbs is also crazy, they completely change form so again, you are left clueless as to how it should be modified.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Nouns and verbs is a mind-fuck. How do you know what "gender" the noun is? Guess? Just "have to know"? There's no real rule for it, then conjugating the verbs is also crazy, they completely change form so again, you are left clueless as to how it should be modified.
You should try a Slavic language. German grammar is easy.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I can still speak and understand Spanish well enough to get by with basics. We get a pay bonus for work if we can pass a conversational exam, but it's not enough to make me want to learn it well enough again to pass the exam.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Im fluent in both. Dutch is definitly harder than German. Sorry :D

PS: Our numbers follow the same logic.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The funny thing is that I speak some Spanish every day, and used to go to Peru a few times a year...I just never truly learned the basics well. I cringe when I think of some of the stuff I used to think was O.K.
People are usually ok with you using very basic Spanish and can still understand you. But yes at some point you start to realize youve been sounding like a complete moron.

And Peru is super easy to understand when it comes to Spanish.
The rest of LatAm is all over the place with different words and accents.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Yeah, gender is a real mind-fuck. And to top it off gender sometimes switches when going from singular to plural. Viel Spaß damit!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I use it once in a while to try to brush up on my German. Took 3 years of it in HS and went on a couple week long ski trip to Bavaria in my early 20s. I ran into the issue that most classes on German language teach you High German but when in Bavaria people spoke Low German (kinda like the North and the South in the US using different slang and accents).

I've recently tried using it to learn Spanish but so far I suck at it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

we have a good number of german equipment & component suppliers. some of it you can reasonably guess what is meant. other times, :nope:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
People are usually ok with you using very basic Spanish and can still understand you. But yes at some point you start to realize youve been sounding like a complete moron.
I'm almost tri-lingual. French is my first language, but I also speak English like a native-speaker. I'm conversant in Spanish, though not quite fluent. IME of Latin-america, people appreciate the effort to speak Spanish. For me, it's way more important to try to communicate, than to communicate correctly. So what if you sound like a complete moron, as long as you can laugh along with them when you realize it!

I speak mostly in Spanish to my in-laws. I know I make tons of errors, but they appreciate the effort. But the practice is good, and when I go to Latin America, I can quickly get up to speed and make connections with people and share experiences with them. And that's what languages are all about in my mind.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I use it once in a while to try to brush up on my German. Took 3 years of it in HS and went on a couple week long ski trip to Bavaria in my early 20s. I ran into the issue that most classes on German language teach you High German but when in Bavaria people spoke Low German (kinda like the North and the South in the US using different slang and accents).

I've recently tried using it to learn Spanish but so far I suck at it.
The dialect in Bavaria is part of the Boarische Sprachraum, which reaches from Bavaria to the east over Upper Austria into Styria. The language spoken in these areas is pretty similar and easy to understand for each other. For outsiders it can get quite difficult though.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yes, I use it to help my español. seems to be working pretty good. hard to do while driving though.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The dialect in Bavaria is part of the Boarische Sprachraum, which reaches from Bavaria to the east over Upper Austria into Styria. The language spoken in these areas is pretty similar and easy to understand for each other. For outsiders it can get quite difficult though.
All I remember from my brief three-day visit there is you greet people with a "gross gut" [sp]... which I think is something along the lines of "go with God"? That correct?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I might point wifey at this, she had mentioned she wanted to brush up on her Spanish again.

Time to install on her phone and sign her up while she's not watching.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
we compete. makes both me & the lady super motivated :D
I've never learned Spanish but I think she was pretty good and has now just gotten rusty.
I did a year of German and a few years of French back in school ~25 years ago, sufficed to say I've forgotten anything I never knew anyway :D

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
All I remember from my brief three-day visit there is you greet people with a "gross gut" [sp]... which I think is something along the lines of "go with God"? That correct?
Close. It's"Grüss Gott" which translates to "greetings (to or from) god". The informal greeting would just be "Servus". No real translation for that, "Hi" would be the same in English.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
we have a good number of german equipment & component suppliers. some of it you can reasonably guess what is meant. other times, :nope:
They don’t make up new words, they just make the description into one huge long word.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Close. It's"Grüss Gott" which translates to "greetings (to or from) god". The informal greeting would just be "Servus". No real translation for that, "Hi" would be the same in English.
Fun fact - we could and did learn German in schools behind the iron curtain, but "Grüss Gott" never made it to our classrooms for obvious reasons. :rolleyes: