Quantcast

DW's new suspension design. the split pivot.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
he feels Kona has too much market share? (kidding)

what it does have is a type of floating brake mount built into the shock linkage, this might be the bigger deal here
true, it could be what the whole faux bar part of it is doing.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
"The floating lower shock mount makes for more controllable fine-tuning of the shock leverage ratio, according to Trek."

Scary stuff....

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
So wait a minute, you mean to tell me that the dw-link isn't the holy grail of suspension designs? :rolleyes:

It's pretty hard to believe that the rear axle is in any way an ideal location for a pivot. Strikes me as being convenient, not necessarily advantageous from a physics standpoint.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been doing the same thing on my Turner Flux for years. Faux bar with vee brakes mounted on the seatstays.;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So wait a minute, you mean to tell me that the dw-link isn't the holy grail of suspension designs? :rolleyes:

It's pretty hard to believe that the rear axle is in any way an ideal location for a pivot. Strikes me as being convenient, not necessarily advantageous from a physics standpoint.
As mentioned, it's great for braking, not sure how it handles anything else though, why you'd do it that way etc.

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
It's funny how Trek's ABP design only claims to increase braking performance, while the split pivot claims to not only increase braking performance, but increase accelerating performance as well. I can see how pedaling efficiency would be altered, given that the chain wraps around the concentric pivot in the back. I wonder if these two designs are different in any way?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
As mentioned, it's great for braking, not sure how it handles anything else though, why you'd do it that way etc.
If the pivot was 1 inch in front of the axle the bike would perform 99 percent the same under braking. It's not as if there is some magical braking effect achieved by having a pivot in the same plane as the axle.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line

at the very least it makes the stress calcs really easy....

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
does this mean that my recently acquired IH 6point is now outdated???

dw*link vs. split*pivot???

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
It's funny how Trek's ABP design only claims to increase braking performance, while the split pivot claims to not only increase braking performance, but increase accelerating performance as well. I can see how pedaling efficiency would be altered, given that the chain wraps around the concentric pivot in the back. I wonder if these two designs are different in any way?
maybe ones claiming superior shock rate that blah blah blahs, or just a sweet chainstay pivot spot (you know, the usual). Hey its just marketing, don't read too much into it

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There's no such thing as ideal or perfection. It's too subjective.
Well they could change their marketing to claim their design is the "ideal compromise" to achieve whatever they are highlighting but they probably wouldn't sell as many :D