Quantcast

E-13 headset question

rawcan

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
Hey guys. Sorry for the stupid question. I bought an older Sunday with the e13 reducing cup headset. The bottom race looks odd the way it sits in the bearing. Confirming the bottom does use a race pressed on the fork and the top just uses the split ring and nothing else on the top. I'm not really familiar with the setup and can't find a schematic.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The 'Headset' (bearings, races, etc) are not e-13 parts. They are either an fsa or cane creek 'IS' standard headset that is pressed into the e-13 adapters. You can get spare parts, for the headset from FSA (or cc probably) if you need.

In my experience, the crown race looks as if it is just a hair large in diameter...ie: it does not sit flush agains the bearing face. In fact the current crown race that I have has a seal lip on it..that does not touch anything as the race does not sit far enough 'into' the bearing to do anything.

On top, you should obviously have a bearing, then a compression ring..those pars are required. Now typically what comes next are a few VERY thin steel spacers and then some sort of top cap/dust seal. The thin spacers are to shim the top cap so that it does not contact the top of the frame/e-13 cup. If you want, and depending on your fork top crown, you can ditch the dust cap and possible the thin washers (although I would run at least one to prevent the comression ring from wearing/creaking aganist your top crown.

All this odd fitting(crown race)/shimming(top cap) has to do with the original use of these headsets. They were designed to drop (not press) into an 'IS' frame..no cups...the frame is just machined for the bearings to fall into. Because of the variance in machining depth/wear tollerance/ and paint thickness, these headsets need some 'room' built into them....so that worst case scenario, the headset cap and crown race do not contact the frame face.