Quantcast

e-13 lg1 36t guide-different backplate to 40t?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I'm just about to grab an e-13 lg1 and want to know if the 36t guide is actually any different, or whether it just comes with the smaller taco.

I plan on running a 34x11-34 most of the time and switch out to a 36x12-27 for dh races.

Also, I'm assuming I need the wide backplate as it's going on an sx trail?

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
If the chainstay is below center of your BB, you need wide. I believe the backplate for the 40t is bigger.

If you're only running 36T max than there's no worries.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The backplates are different, and you will need a wide.

In my case, I had to do a little mod to get a 36t ring to fit on a 36t guide. I could not get the upper guide 'up' enough to prevent it from rubbing on the ring/chain.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey guys,
Dilzy - the only difference between the 36T version and 40T version of the LG1 is the taco size (and like 10 grams). You would need the ISCG-OLD version, Wide angle backplate for the SXT.

Davep - Where was the upper slider rubbing? For a 36T ring, there should be ample room to move the top slider. It was designed to have a 3mm gap between the top of the chain and the inside top part of the slider. You can use a 3mm allen to measure how high it needs to be.

If you're more visual, you can watch Ricky work some LG1 magic on Pipers bike over the summer:
http://www.freecaster.com/1000006_1005453

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Davep - Where was the upper slider rubbing? For a 36T ring, there should be ample room to move the top slider. It was designed to have a 3mm gap between the top of the chain and the inside top part of the slider. You can use a 3mm allen to measure how high it needs to be.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen
It was sitting against the top surface of the chain. I could not get the slider to have any clearance at all with the plate in stock form. I had to file the nylock nut channels up a bit to be able to slide the slider up to prevent contact. As it is, there is about 2.5mm of clearance with this mod... works great.

after a little looking/thinking, I figured out what happened....the back plate is a 36 from an SRS/STS with the LG-1 parts......so all LG-1's must come with the '40 tooth' back plate and that is where the issue is.

Odd that the back plate would fit a 36 with the SRS top slider, but not the LG-1 slider. I guess I assumed they would have the same clearance (since they are claimed to be interchangeable) and just ordered the parts tree......

Last edited:

guitarhero

Chimp
Nov 1, 2005
Scotland
Odd that the back plate would fit a 36 with the SRS top slider, but not the LG-1 slider. I guess I assumed they would have the same clearance (since they are claimed to be interchangeable) and just ordered the parts tree......
Interesting, i changed from an SRS to an STS backplate and had to run the top slider with only 1 bolt to gain required clearance with a 36T ring

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
So the 36tooth STS plate did not have enough room to run a 36 tooth ring with the STS/SRS upper slider either.....??

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey guys,
Also in its stock form, the STS backplate is heavier than the SRS backplate...
I weighed the ISCG-OLD ones.
STS - 135g
SRS -114g

So, unless you cut off the strength ridge and mod out the STS backplate a bit...it is heavier. It is also a slightly smaller angle between the boomerang arms than the SRS backplate, so the STS isn't nearly as versatile on suspension frames.

Thanks guys!
-philip