Quantcast

e 13 zero stack 1.5 reducing cups

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
I am bummed. I just got my new 888wc and the reducers and king headset don't fit the stack of the fork for my intense uzzi vpx. I am assuming the only real option now is e13 zero stack reducers, but what headset to put in them? Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
another option would be to use the high crowns...got the same issue when installing my 888 on my L v10 and had to order a high upper crown and issue solved.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I just put the new Syncros FBI headset on...
That Syncros headset is nifty but is heavy as all get out. I had one around for a while and no one was willing to try it out b/c of the weight.

Why doesn't e-13 add something with bearings to theirs I wonder?
Patents & licensing.

I have run both FSA and the E.13 reducers on my Imperial. IMO, FSA is total crap, I will never ever use there products again. I have stripped 3 different FSA parts because of the soft aluminum they use. Their customer service is the only thing that is worse. They dont even make their own parts, they are made by 8 year old Taiwanese boys and FSA just puts their names on them.
I'd be curious as to where you've gleamed your info to base your allegations on. I have been to the FSA factory. I've met the owner on several occasions. If you don't like a company or a company's product that's one thing but to claim a company is using child labor with ZERO proof is flat out wrong!

btw...what companies product are you now using; lots of other companies actually source their headset and BB's thru FSA/TH.

-ska todd

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I will second Ska Todds comments. Those sorts of statements should be qualified with "I had bad personal experiences" but they certainly shouldn't go on to make wildly inaccurate claims.

Anyway... Dave's point is great, but I'll stick wtih my same original claim that the Orbit Z1.5R accomplishes the same thing - extremely low stack height on 1.5 frames with 1.125" steerers. I make no claims of it being nicer than the E13 option. Only that it is CHEAPER than E13 plus headset.

Discuss amongst yourselves....

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Patents & licensing.
Yup, approached Cane Creek about it in 2002, e.thirteen was growing, and was denied, but I still hold out hope for the future.

I'd be curious as to where you've gleamed your info to base your allegations on. I have been to the FSA factory. I've met the owner on several occasions. If you don't like a company or a company's product that's one thing but to claim a company is using child labor with ZERO proof is flat out wrong!

btw...what companies product are you now using; lots of other companies actually source their headset and BB's thru FSA/TH.

-ska todd
I couldn't agree more FSA makes some of the nicest stuff in the world. I run their headsets/ bearings on almost every one of my bikes. Absolute top quality.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Plenty strong - no question.

The bearings that come with the HS are the same ones you would use if you bought the E13 cups. The crown race is cheaper and steel, but you can replace it later with an alloy one. Mostly you save $$ over e13 and get the same bearings anyway.

All the FSA stack heights include the crown race. Full dimmensions of all headsets located here: FSA_Headsetbook.pdf
That is where I looked.. the drawings just look crown-raceless...

BTW thanks for the info.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
davep, where doyou get the alloy one? i have always wondered where you can buy races without buying a headset. are the alloy ones stonger, lighter, both, neither?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I couldn't agree more FSA makes some of the nicest stuff in the world. I run their headsets/ bearings on almost every one of my bikes. Absolute top quality.
:imstupid: I've also recently been running more and more FSA components, including headsets/bearings and couldn't be happier. :thumb:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
davep, where doyou get the alloy one? i have always wondered where you can buy races without buying a headset. are the alloy ones stonger, lighter, both, neither?
FSA sells most replacement parts on their web store, it is linked right off of the front page (black button up top). They have many crown races... split, non split, steel, stainless, and aluminum.

In general, aluminum is not as 'strong' as steel, but it is lighter. I would expect a aluminum crown race to start to wear at the bearing contact surfaces just like the king headets do after a while..but they are only $10 to replace..the cheepo steel races will be plated (chrome or nickle) and over time, the plating can wear of flake, leading to rust....for me, I think stainless is the way to go..cant be more than about 5 grams difference...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
cool. i found the parts sale page. however, where can you buy the z1.5r retail? i can find it as standard equipment on devinci and transition bikes, and available from uk stores. anyplace here in the usa sell these online or do i need to special order at the LBS?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have run both FSA and the E.13 reducers on my Imperial. IMO, FSA is total crap, I will never ever use there products again. I have stripped 3 different FSA parts because of the soft aluminum they use.
But how do you strip a headset?

What issues in particular did you find with the orbit zero stack headset? (besides small asian child fingerprints from the ice cream they were eating?)

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
That Syncros headset is nifty but is heavy as all get out. I had one around for a while and no one was willing to try it out b/c of the weight.

-ska todd
I didn't get to feel the headset, because my boss put it on my bike when I was out of the shop but he said it was heavy as hell. My bottlerocket is now 42lbs and still gets up the hill, albeit a little bit slower. Got tired of pinching normal tubes, Heavy duty thorn resistant! only way to go.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
cool. i found the parts sale page. however, where can you buy the z1.5r retail? i can find it as standard equipment on devinci and transition bikes, and available from uk stores. anyplace here in the usa sell these online or do i need to special order at the LBS?
not sure who stocks this HS..I did not have much luck with google... I would try go-ride

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
Done and done. I got the e13 reducers and the fsa headset through go-ride for cheap as a single reducing headset. I based my decision based on insertion depth of the cups and the replacibility of the bearings. Thanks! I will post the finished product in this thread next weekish.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So i tore down my bottlerocket this winter to steal some parts fort he park bike, i am about to begin putting it back together and think i lost the top cap for my FSA bearings in my e.13 cups. What can i do, i thought i read that you dont even need the top cap, is this true?

Has anyone tried any type of fix for this? I am really looking for the low profile top cap that came with the bearing set...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
So i tore down my bottlerocket this winter to steal some parts fort he park bike, i am about to begin putting it back together and think i lost the top cap for my FSA bearings in my e.13 cups. What can i do, i thought i read that you dont even need the top cap, is this true?

Has anyone tried any type of fix for this? I am really looking for the low profile top cap that came with the bearing set...
There's nothing wrong mechanically without running the top cap, although the ones with the rubber lip do offer some minute sealing protection. I have run them both ways with good success.

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi

Hey I am getting my shizzle together today and will probably...not need my top cap. If you still need one and I don't need it I will give it to you. I will let you know for sure tonight after I get the 888's on....YEAH!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey I am getting my shizzle together today and will probably...not need my top cap. If you still need one and I don't need it I will give it to you. I will let you know for sure tonight after I get the 888's on....YEAH!!
Dude, you would be the man! Let me know if you have an extra around...

Email me at william.kirk@gmail.com

Thanks guys for the advice.

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
I got the forks on yesterday with 0 problems...as if it were meant to be. I immidiately drove to SC to hit the trails and see how they work. First things first I sessioned some jumps....oh yesssss. Then it was off to the gnar gnar for some railing and I have to say they may be borderline overbling but worth every single penny. The adjustments are almost intuitive and the travel is so plush it is crazy. Not to mention dead effin sexy. check attached. thanks for advice on cups and bearings all

Attachments

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i just got my FSA Orbit Z1.5R installed and took the bike out for a quick trail test ride. it is a much different bike. i lost quite a bit of stack height from my Orbit Extreme. The steering is much nicer as the head angle is steeper. i am a bit nervous about how much height was lost on the top of the head tube. the bar feels low now. i have been running a 1" rise bar because the front felt too high. now that i am down on the stack height, i may need to go to 2" riser bars. i guess i could have just had the bottom cup installed from the Z1.5R and left the top alone. oh well. updates to follow.