Quantcast

E-bikes.... seriously.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You heard me, but it's not what you think. Or maybe it is. Either way, looking for serious advice.

My old man texted me looking for help with info/recommendations on potential e-bike options for him and my mom getting to/from their local fishing spots. They're both in their 60s, retired and far from Ironman ready, especially my dad who's had back and joint issues his whole life as a result of a serious accident in his 20s. Looking for something comfortable and capable for a few miles on fireroads and tame doubletrack trails.

I may have been mostly out of the loop for the past few years, but know enough to know e-bikes are frowned upon here. However, given the circumstances and who they are for, I must forge ahead in my quest.

If RM is anything like it used to be, I expect 94% sarcastic responses, 5% serious and 1% bacon and/or loco sucks. So I'll take that 5% to heart.

What say you, old friends? Thanks in advance....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd get one with normal geometry, local support/from a "real" company, and torque sensing assist. Lots of crap out there mail order with wack geometry, cadence sensing only, etc.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'd get one with normal geometry, local support/from a "real" company, and torque sensing assist. Lots of crap out there mail order with wack geometry, cadence sensing only, etc.
Thanks Toshi....any recommendations or familiar brands to check out? I know nothing about the niche...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, Specialized, Trek have options. Turbo Como would work given back issues, I bet.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'd think it would be easier to convert an e-commuter into something good to get to/from the fishin' hole than using an e-mtb. Rack for tackle box and fishing rod, simple build so less to go wrong, etc.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Thanks guys...will explore options and prices.

I'd think it would be easier to convert an e-commuter into something good to get to/from the fishin' hole than using an e-mtb. Rack for tackle box and fishing rod, simple build so less to go wrong, etc.
This is an interesting idea, and might be a fun little project. Being an engineer currently WFH quite a bit, little projects like this are appealing now more than ever. My old man may be on board, too...he's the most mechanically inclined tinkerer I know, and what got me into it.

Maybe convert his old ~'92 Schwinn High Plains full rigid into an e-bike.:nerd:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For conversions again keep the torque versus cadence sensing bit in mind. Kits like those from Bafang are cheap, but battery mounting is precarious and/or ugly, and I can't stress enough that cadence sensing feels like ass.

Torque sensing feels like a bionic you. Cadence sensing feels like a drunk monkey controlling a throttle with some lag after the time at which it hears your chain squeaking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think this is the appropriate application for an e-bike. I have no knowledge of e-bikes or anything sarcastic to say. Sorry to disapoint.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'd definitely go with a large brand that has a decent dealer network and support. Giant doesn't have anything fitting in their lineup, but these models from Trek and Specialized all look good for the application you describe:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/active-bikes/turbo-vado/c/eturbovado
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/allant/allant-7s/p/31929/?colorCode=bluedark
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/electric-hybrid-bikes/allant/allant-7-lowstep/p/30919/?colorCode=bluedark

It looks like these models all come with Racktime racks, so you could get yourself a Racktime quick release adapter and attach it to your dad's tackle box. PM me if you can't find one in the States, I should be able to help out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks Toshi....any recommendations or familiar brands to check out? I know nothing about the niche...
at this point all reputable companies are offering them. what kind of surfaces are they going to be riding? paved paths? or dirt? gravel? if they wanna go fishing it sounds like they are gonna wanna carry stuff. i think there are a few e-cargo bikes out there. oh and also range for how far they'll wanna go.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Definitely a box or two, 2-3 rods, couple chairs and a cooler. Fishing is their primary leisure activity, and both being retired, they'll be going a few days a week, hours at a time.

They live in western central MA, where it's fairly rural for the state, with many local ponds, lakes and primarily the Quabbin they like to fish. I'd say 90% of the riding would be on well packed dirt/gravel fireroads from the parking lot to the various spots, maybe a couple miles each way. My dad must have been doing some online research, because he did know about the "plus/fat bike things", and mentioned those might be a bit more comfortable of a ride.

He was looking to me for some help given bikes have always been my thing, but for this field I'm green. I do appreciate all the suggestions so far, I will forward them along. I should get a budget he'd like to stick to from him, that might help....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You mentioned dad has back and joint issues. I know jack squat about them, but I have seen several older dudes riding e-recumbents around town. Because of Olympic Committee and the high number of military vets here, there is a shop that specializes in recumbent and adaptive bicycles so it's not uncommon to see such bikes, especially downtown where it's "flatter". Cargo capacity looked pretty awesome on the couple I've seen. Maybe worth looking into?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You mentioned dad has back and joint issues. I know jack squat about them, but I have seen several older dudes riding e-recumbents around town. Because of Olympic Committee and the high number of military vets here, there is a shop that specializes in recumbent and adaptive bicycles so it's not uncommon to see such bikes, especially downtown where it's "flatter". Cargo capacity looked pretty awesome on the couple I've seen. Maybe worth looking into?

Thanks 'squeeb....in a nutshell, back in his 20's he was working in the shipyard on scaffolding, about 30ft up. Scaffolding collapsed and he came down to the asphalt feet first. Absolutely pulverized his feet and ankles, was in a wheelchair for months. Couple that with spending all his life as a lobster fisherman, carpenter and then marine mechanic....time hasn't been great on his body. So his ankles, knees and back are pretty much all toast. However, I think he would be fine with a standard bike, he just needs the electric assist because lots of pedaling would be an issue on the ankles/knees. But for the relatively short rides and time actually spent on the bike, I think it won't be an issue.

I sent him a couple options from the recommendations here, will also ask what he was hoping to spend. That should narrow it down some.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Make sure to recommend some cycling type shoes, or at least something with a stiff footbed. I'd think some floppy athletic type shoes would wreak havoc on the tendons of his ankles if hes doing a lot of pedaling.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Definitely a box or two, 2-3 rods, couple chairs and a cooler. Fishing is their primary leisure activity, and both being retired, they'll be going a few days a week, hours at a time.

They live in western central MA, where it's fairly rural for the state, with many local ponds, lakes and primarily the Quabbin they like to fish. I'd say 90% of the riding would be on well packed dirt/gravel fireroads from the parking lot to the various spots, maybe a couple miles each way. My dad must have been doing some online research, because he did know about the "plus/fat bike things", and mentioned those might be a bit more comfortable of a ride.

He was looking to me for some help given bikes have always been my thing, but for this field I'm green. I do appreciate all the suggestions so far, I will forward them along. I should get a budget he'd like to stick to from him, that might help....
given the amount they want to carry he should definitely look into some cargo options unless he's just gonna have a little bob trailer or something. however i think the motors/batteries on the cargo e-bikes are a bit higher power/capacity than non cargo ones.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
given the amount they want to carry he should definitely look into some cargo options unless he's just gonna have a little bob trailer or something. however i think the motors/batteries on the cargo e-bikes are a bit higher power/capacity than non cargo ones.
Batteries are usually the same 400 or 500 Wh units. But Bosch does make a special line of mid drive motor with the same power but more torque at lower RPMs. Performance Line CX, I believe.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
He seems very interested in the Rad Wagon radrunner1 or Rad Wagon. Both seem to check just about every box he had in his wish list as far as I can tell. And he said there's a $200 discount for buying two which is nice.

Anybody know anything about the manufacturer in terms of reliability or quality?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don’t think they are torque sensing.

I have seen one dude on his Rad power bikes cargo bike several times last year fwiw. He likes it.