Quantcast

E13 DH cranks

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
170mm..post up some pics if ya can
Some of the faster guys around here have had theirs for about 4 months or so. They seem to be holding up real good. Seem stiff also most of them were coming off Saints so that is a good sign.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
When are they going to release BF30 cranks for 2011 Demo ???
Wouldn't you need just a PF30 BB with the normal E13 cranks?

I have a set on my bike and they seem to be very good. They are easy to take on and off with the interface, by the way.

Last edited:

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Wouldn't you need just a PF30 BB with the normal E13 cranks?

I have a set on my bike and they seem to be very good. They are easy to take on and off with the interface, by the way.

My guess is they need to make spacers to account for the longer spindle on the cranks..

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just opened mine up, really impressed with whats in the box...build quality seems awesome...

interesting about the seal comment...not sure how spacers would affect that after holding it.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I understood frmo a guy in the Uk that the ano is poor, took about 3 runs for the arms to rub it off and that the BB is over sealed, and doesn't spin that great
I'd have to disagree on both accounts. I rub my shoes quite a bit on the arms and they are looking great for 3 months of wear. But Norcal doesn't compare to the UK for slop.

You do have to get the spacing dialed for the bearings to run ultra smooth. I ended up taking out the wave washer which seemed to be loading the bearings too much. If you can get the spacing right w/ the plastic spacers alone, I would run it that way. I also ended up putting one of the thin plastic spacers on the drive side (helped locate the bearing seal). Bearings took a few rides to get super smooth.

The bearings are smoother than any Shimano crank set I have ever owned.

If you are running ISCG old, guide plate spacing can get interesting w/ the large diameter cups. ISCG '05 = piece of cake.

And lastly, the hole in the spindle is big enough to stash a safety kit .:)

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I'd have to disagree on both accounts. I rub my shoes quite a bit on the arms and they are looking great for 3 months of wear. But Norcal doesn't compare to the UK for slop.

(...)If you can get the spacing right w/ the plastic spacers alone, I would run it that way. (...)

The bearings are smoother than any Shimano crank set I have ever owned.
Hey guys,
I'll chime in a little bit...but essentially the wavy washer is designed to keep the preload on the cranks, and helps keep things tight. We also highly recommend facing/chasing BB's as well.

You will want to grease up the lip seals quite a bit...they do a great job keeping the water out but will not spin as freely as your old square tapers. Pretty much the fastest way to kill a bearing is to expose it to the elements, so the extra sealing (and extra grease in the bearings) helps in the long run.

As mentioned above, while everything seems to drag in the stand, once everything gets going there is nothing noticeable.

Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Some of the faster guys around here have had theirs for about 4 months or so. They seem to be holding up real good. Seem stiff also most of them were coming off Saints so that is a good sign.
Unfortunately, in that statement I think this was about the only thing close to hard evidence, that I could find, to the defense of the ride and durability of the cranks .

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Unfortunately, in that statement I think this was about the only thing close to hard evidence, that I could find, to the defense of the ride and durability of the cranks .
Don't worry they are holding up fine!:D

grooveninja

Chimp
Aug 30, 2010
Anyone else seem to have trouble with the arm getting some play after a few hours of use? I got the spacers so that the wavy washer almost flattens out and am the the max end of spec torque. Everything seems tight, then I ride a day or two and there is a small amount of pay. Not sure if I don't have the correct amount of spacers or what. Anyone have some ideas?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Anyone else seem to have trouble with the arm getting some play after a few hours of use? I got the spacers so that the wavy washer almost flattens out and am the the max end of spec torque. Everything seems tight, then I ride a day or two and there is a small amount of pay. Not sure if I don't have the correct amount of spacers or what. Anyone have some ideas?
From what I know your not suppose to flatten that wavy washer. Mine isnt flat and they would awesome!:thumb: but other than that I dont know what else to tell you.

what kinda of bike are they on?

Ridge_Rider

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
East Coast
Anyone else having issues keeping their cranks tight? I'm running the AM version of the cranks and they seem to loosen up after every ride...

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I took a chance on these after finding out that Saints weren't available for 6 weeks. They're only 2 months old but I've had zero issues with them. Spacing was quite straightforward (although not quite as easy as Saints).

They do spin a little bit slower but as someone said, not noticeable when riding - I have more stiction in my pedals! Not noticed any flex and run silent so no complaints.

I've heard that the ano isn't very good so just to be safe I put a bit helicopter tape on them from new. Problem solved

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I installed mine on my new dh bike and it was a breeze...They seem fantastic sitting on my bike in my house right now, very stiff...;)

Our DH spots are just starting to open up so i should have some ride time on them soon...