Quantcast

E13 pedals spotted!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

Another image over at http://dirtmag.co.uk/worldcup/category/News/saturday-fort-william-pits-round-up/dirt-1235184.html

Looks like a pretty cunning design. They've realised that the only reason pedals are ~20mm fat is to accommodate the axle. It's not for strength, so why have all of that 20mm as metal. A thin metal core with some sort of composite covering it makes perfect sense, and should obviously be pretty light. Also has the potential for the composite bit to be cheaply replaceable maybe?

I like the way the pins go all the way through. You're never going to rip one out, just maybe bend the end over, which will then be easily straightened with pliers.

Anyway, since people have been banging on about them for so long and these are (AFAIK) the first pics of them, I thought I'd bung it up for those of you who aren't watching the world cup thread closely enough!

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Holy shinscars! Those pins are loooong...

What I find funny is the amount of pedal innovation lately. Lots to choose from. For me, I just want them thin, light, and reliable. I'll let the stealth rubber do the rest!

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Id like my shins please.
i guess having just the metal core will save a fair amount of weigh. Maybe ill look into these next time i need some pedals.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Looks friggin awesome. Will be in line for a set for sure. Love the replaceable surface & pins that go all the way through. Better to replace the surface than gouge metal. Great work e13.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I didn't realise pics had been on the net for a while - thought this was the first time they'd been seen anywhere/anywhen, whoops.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Will you offer an optional Ti version? Mag?

e.thirteen: For sure we will offer a ti spindle / aluminum body version called Staccato 16. The Staccato 16 prototypes weigh in at 392 grams as of today, we have also prototyped a mag bodied version that we are testing, and those are light enough to make you laugh when you pick them up, in the 340 gram range for a pair..
Market's moved on a lot quickly, my current pedals are 280g and holding up just fine! :-)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
^ what he said :)

I started off with the regular ones and couldn't resist the ti upgrade when he finally got some axles in stock :) Mine aren't quite as light as the claimed 275, but I'll cope ;)

Not for everyone I know. FWIW though I've always run light pedals (used to be DMR mag V12s with ti axles) and I've never bent one. I've bent plenty of XTR cranks, but never a pedal. Go figure.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If I remember correctly reset has also pedals very close to the 300g(they say it's exactly 300g) but with alu (!!!) body but they cost more than most of us are willing to spend.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France

I started off with the regular ones and couldn't resist the ti upgrade when he finally got some axles in stock :) Mine aren't quite as light as the claimed 275, but I'll cope ;)

Not for everyone I know. FWIW though I've always run light pedals (used to be DMR mag V12s with ti axles) and I've never bent one. I've bent plenty of XTR cranks, but never a pedal. Go figure.
the ti axle is tempting for sure, but at the cost of a brand new set of pedals ill skip :p

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

If you were dh'ing them, its not surprising. I bent a set of XTR's riding cross country.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Not just the newer ones, the older much-used-for-DH m952s too. Although in fairness it wasn't the arms that bent (on either set) - always the bottom bracket.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey all,
I'll try to get DW to chime in, but those are certainly on our team rider Heikki Hall's rig. He is absolutely brutal on components...I think he snapped the headtube off a Sunday once. Production pedals are still in the works...should be sick.

-philip

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not just the newer ones, the older much-used-for-DH m952s too. Although in fairness it wasn't the arms that bent (on either set) - always the bottom bracket.
Yup those were the ones I had. I went through at least 3 or 4 bb's as well before the arms gave out. Then again, the fact that I had used them for trials also didn't help :busted:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Those are a set of Staccato 8 prototypes, running some different platforms that we've publicly shown. Like usual, we're in no rush to push this product to market. We'll keep proving the design out on the World Cup circuit and in our own testing. When we're ready to go to production, then they will get out there.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
They're working on some other pedals as well I believe but pedals took a backseat to their chain guides to some degree.
You are correct. The ground -up redesign of 3 new systems sucked up a lot of resources and >$200K in 2008!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Market's moved on a lot quickly, my current pedals are 280g and holding up just fine! :-)
That weight on the e13 is with a steel axle and the pedals can take actual impacts too!

I know we could go lighter on a less impact resistant design, and we may well at some point, but the goal (as usual) is to INCREASE impact resistance and decrease weight at the same time. That's the real trick, after all, anyone can make something light at the expense of strength, right?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Any plans to kill the wrench flats and move the bearings more inboard towards the cranks? Seems like you could eek out either a few more grams or a touch more strength. I've never stripped 8mm (6mm?) hex socket on the reverse side of an axle before...

Other than that, they look killer. I'm sure with production plastics they'll look even more polished.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Any plans to kill the wrench flats and move the bearings more inboard towards the cranks? Seems like you could eek out either a few more grams or a touch more strength. I've never stripped 8mm (6mm?) hex socket on the reverse side of an axle before...

Other than that, they look killer. I'm sure with production plastics they'll look even more polished.
You know, it's something that we really considered, personally, I wanted to eliminate the wrench flats, but a lot of the WC mechanics wanted them. It's something that we may address again in the future. The production axle did change from what is in the picture with the green platforms.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Don't know how much canfield pedals are, but I would buy them over those e-13's.

This time I really can't jump on the trend boat, these pedals don't look like anything that special. The canfields have presented a whole new idea.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You would freak out if you saw some of the prototypes that a certain Aussie born rider asked us to make for him. They were/ are even longer.
Isn't this against the reasoning why you use flat pedals in the first place? Longer pins make it harder to get off the pedals, so clipless will be as fast to get in and out. :crazy:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This time I really can't jump on the trend boat, these pedals don't look like anything that special.
The problem here is that you are basing your opinion on looks. Whether or not you realize it, pedals have certain performance characteristics based on design (and the traits should be your evaluation criteria).