Quantcast

E13 SRS vs. Mrp System 3?

Kaviar

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
Sweden!
Hi!
I'm going to buy a new chainguide for my scream.

I've looked at e13 SRS and Mrp System 3. They seems to be pretty equal.

But I can't decide which. What do you think?

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Hey Transcend, insteed of insulting him, how about you actually answer his question.

Kaviar,
Both will keep your chain on, but the e13 bashring can actually withstand bashing, the mrp cant. Go with the SRS.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
SRS I don't know a single person with problems with E13 stuff. I know tons who complain about their MRP

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
so the system 3's are out already...I don't see how you can get a fair comparison when the e13 guide has been out for at least 2 years and the MRP sytem 3 is unproven...D

Lejk

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
Umea
I've been running a MRP system 2 Worldcup ISCG for two seasons now and I have only good things to say about it. Only one time have I droped the chain, but after that crash both the whole bike and me was a total mess :dead:

I really like how easy the MRP is to set up, and spares are really easy to get by. The rollers are long lasting, I've only changed one after it got riped of in a crash, and they don't make a sound.

My bashguards look like they been to hell and back, but every thing is straight and works perfectly despite being beaten up several times.

I know that this doesn't really answer your questions, but it is just a reminder why the MRP has been such a huge succes in the past. Me myself I will try the MRP system 3... if it will fit the Gemini frame that I'm going to buy.. but I think that it doesn't.. :mumble:

Just my 5 cents..

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
I run MRP stuff... maybe that makes me 'uncool' but whatever. I've never had any problems with their guides. They're simple, easy to set up, quiet, and do what they're supposed to.

Evil guides are cool and the bash guard is probably stronger... but I don't really smash my bike into rocks that often. Anyway, just put a System 3 on my downhill bike, I'll let you know what I think once I ride it a bit.

Kaviar

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
Sweden!
Transcend said:
If you see them as equal, you should probably look again.
Thanks for the exhaustive answer... :stosh:

Well I think I've got your point and will probably go for a SRS. Or were you referring to MRP? Who knows?!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I've had a System 3 fitted for a while now, since October maybe. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Easy to install, kept the chain on 100% and the bashring does hold up to some decent abuse (it's thicker that the sys 1 and 2 rings). I think it's a worthy e-13 competitor.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jon-boy said:
I've had a System 3 fitted for a while now, since October maybe. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. Easy to install, kept the chain on 100% and the bashring does hold up to some decent abuse (it's thicker that the sys 1 and 2 rings). I think it's a worthy e-13 competitor.
Is this the poly bashring or the aluminum one?

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
911 said:
I run MRP stuff... maybe that makes me 'uncool' but whatever. I've never had any problems with their guides. They're simple, easy to set up, quiet, and do what they're supposed to.

Evil guides are cool and the bash guard is probably stronger... but I don't really smash my bike into rocks that often. Anyway, just put a System 3 on my downhill bike, I'll let you know what I think once I ride it a bit.
I think you should add that, while not very complicated to do, it was a bit of a pain in the ass to put on. But you could say that for chainguides in general.

In order to get the rollers lined up all proper you basically have to put everything on loose, figure out how you want it, then take it all back off and tighten it and loc-tite it, then put in all back on. I think my E-13 was a little easier and the instructions certainly had more pictures.

The System 3 is pretty cool though, a lot better that the 1 or 2 IMO.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
El_Chimichanga said:
The System 3 is pretty cool though, a lot better that the 1 or 2 IMO.

I don't see the S3 being much better than a System 1 on a bike that can take it with a decent chainline, there is no better guide than two spinning plates, period.

That said, the S3 looks promising, we'll see how they hold up.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
James | Go-Ride said:
I don't see the S3 being much better than a System 1 on a bike that can take it with a decent chainline, there is no better guide than two spinning plates, period.

That said, the S3 looks promising, we'll see how they hold up.
When I said "a lot better" I guess I meant that I liked the way it works a lot better, not that I think it will automatically perform a lot better.

I've always held the opinion that the inner plate on an MRP was pretty much redundant, and in fact, the last one I had on my bike we set up without it and it worked better than with the plate. I was having issues with the chain dropping between the chainring and the inside plate of a blackspire chainguide on a SC chameleon. I decided to buy an MRP but didn't want to pay the price for a whole system 2. So I just bought a boomerang for a S1 and had some rollers shaved down to fit. My friend set up his last MRP like this as well. This is basically how Eric Carter had his setup with just the rollers and a chainring.

What I thought was the coolest thing about the S3 is there are adjustable plastic pieces that go on the boomerang above and below the rollers to keep the chain in check. The guides' placement is critical (and can be spaced out). They basically do 99% of the job that the inside plate did with like 10% of the material. It's a pretty simple idea and I don't see why it wouldn't work as well as the S1 or S2, but with a lot less weight.

As far as the carbon fiber goes, well, uhh, that stuff never really turned me on so I could care less.

EDIT: Hmm, I guess I had problems with a System 2 style non moving inner plate guide, so maybe your statement about the system 1 is right on the mark. There are a lot of bikes out there that cannot accept a system 1 though. I speak for those bike owners.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
James | Go-Ride said:
there is no better guide than two spinning plates, period.
Having two spinning plates does absolutely nothing about tensioning or even guiding a chain. I do not see how this statement is even remotely true.
That being said I used to think the same thing but I have easily been proven many times that it is simply just not true.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
BTW I have a Al bashring. Not the new 'plastic' one.... I'll consider it depending on the price, but for where I ride I need something that will take a beating. To be honest I got a good price on the system 3 from a guy that's sponsored by them. Otherwise I might have gone for the e-13. Thankfully I'm more that happy with this setup. I have the slalom version to give me a little more clearance. It's not often I need more that a 40t ring up front.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
heikkihall said:
Having two spinning plates does absolutely nothing about tensioning or even guiding a chain. I do not see how this statement is even remotely true.
That being said I used to think the same thing but I have easily been proven many times that it is simply just not true.
I don't mean the two spinning plates by themselves, don't take what I'm saying out of context. I'm not sure how you figure having two spinning plates doesn't effect the "guide" part of the chainguide. As long as your chainring sits lower than the plates, it would seem logical to assume that the plates would help "guide" the chain onto the ring should it try to pull off the ring.

As I said in my original post, for a bike that can accept a System one guide (elevated chainstay bikes like a Bullit, or bikes with a narrow BB and wide rear like a DHS Mono or a Cuervo), there is not a better chainguide than the MRP System 1. They are the best working guide on the market, but they don't fit every bike. In fact, they don't fit most bikes. I would say that, to date, the e-13 guide is probably the best all-around guide you can buy since it fits virtually everything and works pretty damn well. But it's simply not as effective as a System 1.

But what do I really know, I've only been working primarily with most of the top DH frames in existence and getting stuff to fit on them and work for them for five years now. :rolleyes: I hate to pull out that card but I'm not going to budge on this one, despite the roaring flame of anti-MRP sentiment that resides on this board. Yes, the bash plates get bent and have to be replaced more often with an MRP than a Supercharger. Yes, the Supercharger does weigh 75 grams more than the aftermarket 5mm thicker MRP Basher (not including the longer chainring bolts and washers you have to use for the e-13).

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
James | Go-Ride said:
I don't mean the two spinning plates by themselves, don't take what I'm saying out of context. I'm not sure how you figure having two spinning plates doesn't effect the "guide" part of the chainguide. As long as your chainring sits lower than the plates, it would seem logical to assume that the plates would help "guide" the chain onto the ring should it try to pull off the ring.
If the chainline is even decent then the chain will (should) never touch the rotating plates. I dont consider those plates to be guiding the chain onto the chainring. I consider the top roller on the system 1 to be the "guide". I have seen plenty of MRP System 1 guides without those rotating plates work just fine most of the time, given a proper set up. I think the System 1 is a great guide. I ran that guide exclusively for a couple of years on a couple of different frames and had pretty good luck with it. But I had a few problems and saw a few flaws and decided to look elsewhere.

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
the design is similar, the mrp actually looks a little more weight efficient than the e13 (not talking about the bashguard). and if you really want to save some weight i'd say go with the mrp, otherwise, go for the proven strong design of the e13. however, it seems like the few people who have the s3s love em. so finally, i say go with the mrp.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Can you run an e.13 bashy with the MRP system? I'm running the system 2 slalom device and while it's free-running and silent, the rings are getting beaten up pretty bad.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
toodles said:
Can you run an e.13 bashy with the MRP system? I'm running the system 2 slalom device and while it's free-running and silent, the rings are getting beaten up pretty bad.

Of course. That's what the e13 Supercharger is. A Makrolon bash gaurd for you MRP.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That "two spinning plates" setup works great for singlespeeds... :D :D

My experience has been that e13 guides are easier to set up and work just as well if not better than MRP.