Quantcast

E55 AMG VSTHA ULTIMATE PIMP MOBILE MacMercedes SLR

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Me to, i heard they cost a $ 500,000 dollahs or euros :help: :eek: .. damned . I would give my right arm for a ride in that Slr.

But i may be happy, i've seen the Sl 500 4 times the last week. Actually one drove through my street, when i arrived at home, from work. :thumb:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
e55 are the chit.

when i get old (30something) am gonna get me one of those to take my kids to school. lol. and then carlssonnify the mofo to the limit!!!

actually, a client of my dad had a e55 couple years ago (the 360hp past model, not the late 470 monster). and it was a bullet!!!.
now i heard the new e55 does a low 12 quarter mile stock, but unfortunately there are none in Lima right now.
i also heard in the merc dealer in lima that there is an e55 WAGON comming! thats some way to take your kids to school and get groceries...

i drove a few blocks around an sl55. kick mofo car!!!

and not being a manual???, well, mercedes has some damn good automatic trannies. no missing the manual.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
is that the mercedes with the 600 hrs power v12? i saw one of those at a aution this summer for 190 g's

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
surfinguru said:
Ok, that's definately a pimp ride, but how about one of these?

http://www.ruf-automobile.de/english/rufmodelle/rturbo/rturbo.htm

Check the specs, then click on the movies section.

The Merced is cool due to it's uniqueness, but I'll take the 590bhp Porche anyday.

rufs are neat, but they dont have the aura around them like AMG.

there will always be a place in my heart for the AMGs.

i love them. my dad and i always had a thing for them (my dad has a clk amg).
i like the subtle-ness in them. the only-me-and-those-who-know will know, instead of the flashiness of a porsche brand, or a yellow corvette.

porsches on the other hand, i dunno, i just dont like them that much. plus i like the 993 the best of all the 911s.
specialluy 600hp cars in the US kinda dont make sense, since you cant speed them too much up there.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Lefty said:
That makes it really easy to ride tha thing .. just put the pedal to the metal.

As easy as it is to do that, you lose a considerable amount of power if you run an automatic. That's why any GOOD performance car will have a manual.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
That phuckin' thing was an automatic. Two thumbs down.

-S.S.-
lots of drag cars have autos actually. and i doubt the slr will ever see a road course. instead it's for rich chumps that like to speed on public roadways

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
it didnt stop it from beating every car except that new porsche carrera GT round the topgear(UK motering program) race track, they have a professional racecar driver called 'the stig'(they keep his identiti hidden) drive every car they test round a race track.
they have tested almost every recent supercar, including cars such as the pagani zonda, lambo murcialago(sp?), koninsigg(sp?).

but no doubt it would probably go even faster if it was a manual shift, or at least that flappy paddle shift.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
lots of drag cars have autos actually. and i doubt the slr will ever see a road course. instead it's for rich chumps that like to speed on public roadways

naah, cars like this unfortunately are made for guys like ludacris, who will put 26"s and spinners on them, and leave them smoking like crack after one ride.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Kind of interesting that MErcedes only uses Autos in their performance cars and that BMW only uses Manuals huh?

I'm sure both companies have their reasons....

dickiesbike1

Monkey
Jun 17, 2002
NC
Technically in some cases an automatic is a better application then manuals. In some really high boosted Supras they run automatics because the shift is faster then a human can, thus keeping the boost pressure up.

Im not sure if the case is true in supercharges though.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
K first of all the guy driving a fricking automatic. Second, it's a mercedes which is the biggest rip off of a car company. Total pos car I would never buy. 2 thumbs down

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
stinky|Dan said:
Kind of interesting that MErcedes only uses Autos in their performance cars and that BMW only uses Manuals huh?

I'm sure both companies have their reasons....

BMW has it right their cars are soooooo much better. From what I know mercedes is a rip off and that coming from my unlce who has an M5 and an M3 he used to have mercedes but they're made cheap, have to many problems and not the same performance as a comparible bmw. :mumble:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
JMAC said:
BMW has it right their cars are soooooo much better. From what I know mercedes is a rip off and that coming from my unlce who has an M5 and an M3 he used to have mercedes but they're made cheap, have to many problems and not the same performance as a comparible bmw. :mumble:
That's funny, my boss had a few M3s and just bought a AMG (don't recall which model).

Personally I like flying with him in his Citation 525 more than going for a drive in his cars...

He rides a Titus if you are wondering ;)

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
JMAC said:
K first of all the guy driving a fricking automatic. Second, it's a mercedes which is the biggest rip off of a car company. Total pos car I would never buy. 2 thumbs down
technicly its a Mercedes/McLaren, basicly its a Mclaren where it matters, for example they have done all the tuning, handling, bodystyling/aero dynamics, etc.
according to every report i've heard about it, the only thing about the car that lets it down is the brakes, everybody complains that they have no feel and are just too on/off feel.

oh and about the auto gearbox
"The 5-speed automatic transmission, fitted as standard, is also designed for high performance. It allows the driver to choose between three programs with different shift characteristics. When "Manual" is selected, the five gears can either be shifted using buttons on the steering wheel or using the selector lever's Touchshift function. In this mode the driver can also select between three shift stages – "Sport", "SuperSport" and "Race" – significantly shortening the shift times still further for an even sportier drive."

taken from http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/m_slrmclaren.asp

heres topgears online report of the SLR.
topgear mercedes/mclaren slr report

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
JMAC said:
Second, it's a mercedes which is the biggest rip off of a car company. Total pos car I would never buy. 2 thumbs down
This statement proves to me that you know close to nothing about cars. Or how to drive one, but that's not your fault, is it?

* :stosh: *

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Italians do it better when it comes to styling. That Mercedes looks like pooh.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
JMAC said:

BS. M3 have some problems. the gearbox you talk so much about on the M3 from a couple years ago kinda have problems.

and the M3 sequential transmission is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from the AMGs. feels too uneven.
i know a few m3 owners around here. from racing euro-spec e30 to the last e46. and only the e46 can be compared to the AMG 55s. plus they dont hold up their value too well. AMG usually hold their value better than porsches.

and the M5?? wtf!!!!!!! 8k rpm???? no way. its not practical in a sedan to rev up the car that much to get power. too noisy, too flashy on the streets, plus the M5 looks bad. really bad.

i think sedan stormers should be sleepers, torque monsters, not cars you have to rev up the crap out of.
imo, thats the line between a sportscar and a sedan-stormer. a line that should not be crossed.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
chicodude01 said:
This statement proves to me that you know close to nothing about cars. Or how to drive one, but that's not your fault, is it?

* :stosh: *
JA ok and how many ppl do you know that have BMWs and Mercedes?
I'm just going by what owners of these cars say.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
JMAC said:
JA ok and how many ppl do you know that have BMWs and Mercedes?
I'm just going by what owners of these cars say.
which bmws and mercedes are you comparing? my guess is a 1986 325e vs. a 1958 180... :oink:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
There's this hott chick on my trig class who's Dad has one of the new E55 and she's going to pick me up one day and were going to go cruise. BOOYAH.

Chibo

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
Scottsdale, Arizona
ALEXIS_DH said:
and the M3 sequential transmission is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from the AMGs. feels too uneven.
i know a few m3 owners around here. from racing euro-spec e30 to the last e46. and only the e46 can be compared to the AMG 55s. plus they dont hold up their value too well. AMG usually hold their value better than porsches.
What's wrong with the SMG? It feels fine to me. Could you explain 'uneven'? There was most likely something wrong with the car or the SMG settings were wrong :( Nothing is like turning of dsc, setting lvl 6 agressiveness, and slamming through the gears :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Chibo said:
What's wrong with the SMG? It feels fine to me. Could you explain 'uneven'? There was most likely something wrong with the car or the SMG settings were wrong :( Nothing is like turning of dsc, setting lvl 6 agressiveness, and slamming through the gears :D

i´ve never driven an smg, but i rode in a e36 with the smg couple times, i think a 98. and a few times were enough for me feel the gears engaging a bit too much. an in my limited experiencie, the gears engage in a very "sporty" :devil: way.

it was not as seamless as an AMG, or any merc transmission. i dont know any e46 smg, and it might have been a new-gadget-1st-generation thing, but i did not get a great impression from the smg (not that is bad, but compared to merc transmissions...).
and IMO, in luxury-sports cars seamless-ness and quietness is a desirable thing.

and i dont think the m3 is a car comparable to the e55. ones a sedan, ones a coupe, maybe the clk55, but still the clk55 gets a higher score in my book.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the e36 m3 smg was clearly aimed at buyers who valued sport over performance. it was an option, had less sound deadening iirc, etc. so that criticism of it isn't really valid... i'd love to give one a whirl. :thumb:

Mercedes is generally luxury before perfomance, and BMW is typically the opposite.

Yeah, the Merc autos are fast and smooth, but some drivers don't like that extra level of isolation from the car.

The SMG in the E36M3 was not a US option.

Chibo

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
Scottsdale, Arizona
ALEXIS_DH said:
i´ve never driven an smg, but i rode in a e36 with the smg couple times, i think a 98. and a few times were enough for me feel the gears engaging a bit too much. an in my limited experiencie, the gears engage in a very "sporty" :devil: way.

it was not as seamless as an AMG, or any merc transmission. i dont know any e46 smg, and it might have been a new-gadget-1st-generation thing, but i did not get a great impression from the smg (not that is bad, but compared to merc transmissions...).
and IMO, in luxury-sports cars seamless-ness and quietness is a desirable thing.
That was probably why, the E46's have SMGII ;) Lower agressive settings feel pretty nice, but if you bring it up there the shifts will slam you into your seat :devil:

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
ALEXIS_DH said:
naah, cars like this unfortunately are made for guys like ludacris, who will put 26"s and spinners on them, and leave them smoking like crack after one ride.
i'm sure he has more, but what i have seen him drive is a gold ram truck with 26's (not spinners, just huge chunks of chromed metal with a layer of rubber sprayed on the edge that passes for a tyre). he's a nice enough guy, i felt kinda bad selling him two of those d@mmed electric scooters.

also the truck was covered with the initials jt or tj i couldnt tell because they were written on top of eachother. awful looking thing.