Quantcast

Earphones

snake666

Chimp
Aug 12, 2012
Hi guys & girls what ear phones / ear plugs are you using that work well when riding ?

I have Bose Ear headphones and I think they are great. You don't need as much volume as they block out more ambient sound and the quality is great.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
none, Personally I prefer to hear other trail/ road users approaching, the sounds of the critters and the wind in the trees. It helps that at my Fire Dept Physical the Doc said that he has seen very few people over their mid 20's with my level of hearing ( I'm 55). I use foam earplugs and concerts and around chainsaws and other small engines and I don't use headphones. But you keep right on wearing em, I have stock in several hearing aid companies.:weee::D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the only time i wear earphones nowadays is for sh!tty opening bands at concerts.

have never worn them hiking/biking.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
none, Personally I prefer to hear other trail/ road users approaching, the sounds of the critters and the wind in the trees. It helps that at my Fire Dept Physical the Doc said that he has seen very few people over their mid 20's with my level of hearing ( I'm 55). I use foam earplugs and concerts and around chainsaws and other small engines and I don't use headphones. But you keep right on wearing em, I have stock in several hearing aid companies.:weee::D

I'm with Baldy Locks on this one. I too appreciate the sound that knobby tires make in the woods. And by the time I'm his age I probably won't be able to hear those sounds anymore, so I'll enjoy it while I still can.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wearing headphones while riding is a great idea. especially when you are oblivious to whats behind you or around you...like when someone is trying to pass you or a hiker or someone riding a horsie is near you

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
wearing headphones while riding is a great idea. especially when you are oblivious to whats behind you or around you...like when someone is trying to pass you or a hiker or someone riding a horsie is near you
I find the most annoying trail user to be a trail runner with headphones in both ears.
It is my duty on earth to startle the $hit out of them.
I find the Peek a boo method to be the most effective.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I find the most annoying trail user to be a trail runner with headphones in both ears.
Lots of bikers seem to like this method even though I don't wear headphones.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Approved, but sadly around here it's not just runners - many cyclists are just as bad. I never cease to be amazed at how people think it's ok to be completely clueless about other users when they are out on popular trails.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Approved, but sadly around here it's not just runners - many cyclists are just as bad. I never cease to be amazed at how people think it's ok to be completely clueless about other users when they are out on popular trails.
Local kids who think it's cool to "get pumped" during riding also piss me off. Someone crashes on trail and you get into some scary situations.

Also bose is ****, even if it's spam.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've never had issues like that while wearing buds at low volume while riding solo. You can still hear what's around you while still having the ability to listen to tunes that get you pumped to ride.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I ride solo often, and I wear an earphone.

I cut the left one off. Still get some background music, and I can hear people around corners. I also flip it out before downhills so I can hear better.

You're going to trash them riding, so just buy the cheapest ones you can get. A mountain bike is not the time or place to be an audiophile.