Quantcast

East Coast DH races..

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I'm going to be "attempting" to race this year and was wondering for those that have done the 4 race series how hard/easy is the beginner and sport classes? Massanutten I hard is pretty tame with a few rock gardens and a good amount of pedaling, I was going to do the beginner classes but I've been told they're way too easy and sport would be better suited for me. I'm still trying to get used to fullsuspension as i've only ridden my RM7 a hand full of times (shed mostly) and I did do the FSC/YG's DH race in the fall in which I didn't do too bad, If it wasn't for a mech. in the first stage I would have been up there with the more experienced guys (somewhat). Most guys I ride with are pretty good and willing to throw themselves off of anything (Brasko) I'm now just about finshed with my build and starting to finally workout, I can't wait to get out and ride! :sneaky:

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Im racing Begginner as I dont have a DH bike yet, and I've never raced before. Easy or not. Im a little cautious about riding my liquid, but it's all Ive got. See you at Massanutten.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I raced beginner last year, and looking back, I should have probably raced Sport, which I am doing this year. I raced beginner becase I had never raced before, but I had ridden DH some. Most of the beginners were new to the sport itself, not just racing. Thats at least what I sensed.

If you're not sure, race beginner at Massofnothing, and if you get clobbered, stay there. If you beat everyone, move up :)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Don't worry about it, just show up and ride. There's nothing harder than the what you find at the watershed. Race beginner if you're new to riding, otherwise do sport. You'll get waxed by sandbaggers, but same in pretty much any class, esp. beginner.

beginner and sport ride the same course anyway, and some places all classes ride the same course. don't worry about stuff being hard, it's not.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
I'm with Dan on this one as usual, just show up and ride. thats what it is all about. it's you against the mountain, if you beat everybody , well then good for you, if you beat the mountain , then it's all good . winning is cool though, just come out and race and support your sport and I garauntee you will have a good time. see ya'll at the races.
E.C.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
wannabeabonedoc said:
What does that mean? I'm new to the whole deal of DH racing.

thanks
Sandbagging is racing at a skill level below you so you will win.

Sandbaggers are the people that do this, and they do it because they like to win, not because they are just there to have fun

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Dan and E.C.,
I'm right there with you on just show up and have fun, I think thats what its all about. but, remember, just because its easy to you, doesnt mean its easy to everyone else.

In Fact, I can think of a few things Dan has told me, "don't worry, its easy, watch!" and they havent necessarly been easy to me.... (Rock drop at the shed, E, RT, Drop trails in the snow.......)

:D

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
I was wanting to start racing this year as well, but really dont know a whole lot about where the races are. Could anyone point me in the right direction for some info please?

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I'm doing the Racers Edge series (Massanutten, Blue Knob,Wisp and Snowshoe) and whatever else there is somewhat local, I heard Mtn. Creek is going to have some..

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
vogey40 said:
I was wanting to start racing this year as well, but really dont know a whole lot about where the races are. Could anyone point me in the right direction for some info please?

You are in the right place. Keep checking back here. All this talk about racing is just out of people being bored in the winter, there really isn't much out there about the series yet. It starts with Massanutten in May.... Don't know the exact date. That is the only one I know of that is scheduled as of yet.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
vogey40 said:
Massanutten, on May 14th I think would be a great first race. I dunno if there's any other info out about it. Not much to say, other than show up in the a.m., take a few practice runs, and let it hang out for the big show.

A great 2nd race, and one you should try and get to by any means necessary, is the US Open at Mtn. Creek on May 27-29. It's the best-run race on one of the best courses I've ever been on.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
BigMike said:
Dan and E.C.,
I'm right there with you on just show up and have fun, I think thats what its all about. but, remember, just because its easy to you, doesnt mean its easy to everyone else.

In Fact, I can think of a few things Dan has told me, "don't worry, its easy, watch!" and they havent necessarly been easy to me.... (Rock drop at the shed, E, RT, Drop trails in the snow.......)
freeride stuff is one thing and I usually tell you that so you won't flip out...:p stuff on race courses is usually pretty tame. I've never come across anything on a race that scared the piss outa me, plenty of stunt-type stuff does that though.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
DßR said:
A great 2nd race, and one you should try and get to by any means necessary, is the US Open at Mtn. Creek on May 27-29. It's the best-run race on one of the best courses I've ever been on.

Who Runs that race? is it NORBA? What makes it so great?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
what makes it great is that NORBA has absolutely nothing to do with it, so they don't **** it up for everyone. It is run by the guys who run Diablo @ Mtn. Creek.

What's great:
-all-day practices
-seeded runs (you won't get stuck behind 8 choads who f up your race run)
-course maintenance (holy crap did those guys get rid of a lot of mud overnite last yr)
-berms and an overall extremely high quality race course w/ VARIETY
-an announcer who knows racing and racers and doesn't talk about Brian Lopez and Cedric Garcia
-$20k in cash to pro's and thousands of dollars in prizes to amatuers; deep payouts
-stickin it to the MAN is cool

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
DßR said:
what makes it great is that NORBA has absolutely nothing to do with it, so they don't **** it up for everyone. It is run by the guys who run Diablo @ Mtn. Creek.

What's great:
-all-day practices
-seeded runs (you won't get stuck behind 8 choads who f up your race run)
-course maintenance (holy crap did those guys get rid of a lot of mud overnite last yr)
-berms and an overall extremely high quality race course w/ VARIETY
-an announcer who knows racing and racers and doesn't talk about Brian Lopez and Cedric Garcia
-$20k in cash to pro's and thousands of dollars in prizes to amatuers; deep payouts

I'm IN!!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
hell yeah you are. Last year's was the best race experience of my life, I guarantee you won't be let down. Especially if you camp out with us....:dead:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
DßR said:
hell yeah you are. Last year's was the best race experience of my life, I guarantee you won't be let down. Especially if you camp out with us....:dead:

As long as the ranger doesnt come and tell you to drive home after a long night of drinking again :D

Cool man, Jen just got us (I say us, but its really for her) a new tent :D

whats the :dead: for? I'm frightened

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Mid-Atlantic Cup series...

Massanutten - May 14
Blue Knob - July 9/10
Wisp - August 13/14
Snowshoe - Sept. 10/11

edit: Correct '05 dates listed.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DßR said:
Who's the man........?.......you mean the promoters trying to put on a Nationwide National caliber series......?....

...yeah it's a piece of cake pulling that off......

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
caboverpete said:
I believe that is the 04 schedule.
Yup. The official schedule for '05 is the one on HCOR. Nice that there's a big pause between the first and second races of the series. Leaves more time for trips to Snowshoe for practice or whatever.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
From Hcor:

The series kicks off on May 14th at, a former world cup venue, the Massanutten Resort. The Virginia State Championship will consist of a Downhill and a “traditional” Dual Slalom race.

The second stop on the series will take place on July 9- 10th, at Blue Knob Resort in Claysburg, Pennsylvania. Blue Knob, a favorite amongst the racers, will play host to a Downhill and Mountain-cross race as well as a unique “Slope-style” competition.

Round three will take place in McHenry, Md. on August 13-14th. The Wisp at Deep Creek Mountain Resort will host a Downhill and a Dual Slalom event on this, the weekend before the NORBA National at Snowshoe. We expect racers from across the country to attend this event on their way to Snowshoe, which is less than 3 hours away.

The series final will take us back to Snowshoe Resort on the weekend of September 10-11th. Racers will compete in Downhill, Dual Slalom, Mountain-Cross and Slope-style. Everyone is welcome to take part in several fun-filled, family activities during the weekend long festival, celebrating the end of the season and the crowning of the Mid-Atlantic Cup champions.

rusty1

Chimp
Dec 12, 2004
YORK
Are there any DH races in Pennsylvania or surrounding states? I would imagine there would be some at Snowshoe. This would be my first year DH'ing, so I'm not too familiar with the riding areas. Thanks

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The final race is at Snowshoe
BigMike said:
The series final will take us back to Snowshoe Resort on the weekend of September 10-11th. Racers will compete in Downhill, Dual Slalom, Mountain-Cross and Slope-style. Everyone is welcome to take part in several fun-filled, family activities during the weekend long festival, celebrating the end of the season and the crowning of the Mid-Atlantic Cup champions.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
rusty1 said:
Are there any DH races in Pennsylvania or surrounding states? I would imagine there would be some at Snowshoe. This would be my first year DH'ing, so I'm not too familiar with the riding areas. Thanks
blue knob is up by Altoona or whatever

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Uh oh, Mark "Bagger" Dickerson pokes his head back up... what's up man, we've missed you lately. How those trophies treatin' ya? :thumb:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Cant Climb said:
Who's the man........?.......you mean the promoters trying to put on a Nationwide National caliber series......?....

...yeah it's a piece of cake pulling that off......
Yeah, those guys are "the man" I was referring to. NORBA.

Well, the last comment about the MAN wasn't intended to be serious; not sure why you latched onto it.... but while we're on topic, how about my other "legitimate" points? I've only raced the Snowshoe NCS but I've done it for several years, so:
-all day practices? Nope, 2-3 hrs is all you get.
-seeded runs? Nope
-course maintenence? Nope, not a lick.
-course quality? Nope. I submit last June's Snowshoe NCS joke of a course as proof.
-announcers? I dunno. Don't recall hearing much of anything on the DH.
-big money cash prizes? Nope. Pro's get what, a flower bouquet?