Votes: 69 45.1%
  • West

Votes: 84 54.9%

• Total voters

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
The west has some great ridin and is closer to Whistler plus big mtns.

The East has a bunch of lifts and racing at them (not much shutle racing here, a couple though), but, good mtns near one and another, you could hit all of them in a summer and keep a job.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
We got plattekill too. I've seen few places more naturaly intense than that place. Any mt. where the medivac copter is a comon sighting is definetly off the hook

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The Amish said:
Any mt. where the medivac copter is a comon sighting is definetly off the hook
Actually the opposite is true.
Normally when people are getting carted off left and right, it has nothing to do with the course being hard and technical.
It normally comes down to poor execution of a course.
Too little thought and effort going into a course to make it hard and safe at the same time. There is nothing lamer than to be at a race having a good time, and constantly hearing sirens cranking up.:rolleyes:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The Amish said:
Any mt. where the medivac copter is a comon sighting is definetly off the hook
Why is riders constantly getting hurt a good thing? :nopity:

I agree with Jeremy.

However, The riding is too different to compare east vs. west. But mostly the west is high speed and dust and east is tech and mud. Which do you like? I like east better, but I live here.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
My vote goes to the West Coast, and it's not just because I live here. Losing Big Bear didn't help our scene any, but we do have our fair share of riding spots: Whistler, Mammoth, Northstar, and Bootleg. At this point, we do have limited resorts, but we have a TON a great shuttle spots. The best part of the West Coast, in my opinion, we can ride YEAR ROUND!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hmmm...I think both sides are good. I used to ride at Bromont religiously almost every Sunday for a few years. It was awesome. Whem Mt. Tremblant had it's lifts open that was cool too. Camp Fortune near Ottawa was 'ok'. Either way, all these places had somewhat short runs that were pretty fast. The mentality is to go fast and keep your wheels mostly stuck to the ground.

I've been in BC now for almost 11 months. Everyone here is hell-bent on going 'big'. The terrain here is nice too, a lot greener and more spots for that all-mountain type riding (and you don't have to drive that far...maybe 15min). I haven't been to Whistler or any of the popular DH spots but hopefully in 06.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Since I've never ridden out East I can't really say. Most of us probably can't say we've ridden at EVERY spot on both coasts. So does it matter? Not really.

I do like having 4,000 foot peaks in my backyard though ;)

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Zark said:
Since I've never ridden out East I can't really say. Most of us probably can't say we've ridden at EVERY spot on both coasts. So does it matter? Not really.

no matter, ,,,just seeing what's to like 4,000 foot peaks you catch a ride up or walk compared to 10 lifts within a 5 hour drive that are good less then 1/2 the year. :oink:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I haven't done much riding out west. Just in the flagstaff area.

But the northeast seems to have many more lift accessed mountains than anywhere else. There is Mt.snow, attitash, killington, jiminy peak, bolton valley, plattekill, diablo/mountain creek and more. We may not have 30 minutes epic downhills but I do enjoy the riding that is here.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Zark said:

Sorry zark, but are highest peak in Santa Barbara is La Cumbre Peak which is only 3995ft, and you cant ride that trail. YOU TELL FIBS!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
degoose said:
Sorry zark, but are highest peak in Santa Barbara is La Cumbre Peak which is only 3995ft, and you cant ride that trail. YOU TELL FIBS!
You are truely a sad little boy, challenging a geographer on geographic knowledge:p
How about Little Pine? (4459ft) How about Big Pine?(6752ft)
How about expanding your vision of Santa Barbara beyond the front range?
Or better yet, how about not pooping on the trails, threatening to beat up hikers and shutting the hell up?:angry:

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
sorry i dident no that your backyard consisted of little pine and big pine, were do you live. O maby you live in that ranger station down by the santa cruz creeks?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
each coast has its own good and bad parts. there is no black and white answer to this question. it all comes down to preference and where you ride. most of the east coast riders are going to say the east is better and the west coast riders are going to say the west is better. i say, just be happy you have a place where you enjoy riding.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i havnt ridden out west but the fact is there is tons of lift access riding around new england. Within 6 hours for me (boston) there is Jiminy Peak, Plattekill, West Mtn, Whiteface, Diablo, Mt Snow, Killington, Bolton Valley, attitash, Bromont and the new park opening at Magic Mountain,
Thats 11 places... all filled with green tree'd, rich roost bustin soil for shreddage.
But then again, atleast out west you can ride all year long, and as it is right now id kill to be able to go dirt jumping or do a shuttle run.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I'd like to check out some west coast riding. It looks fun. Totally different stuff than the east coast though. That is a good thing. Variety never hurts. I'm sure I could learn a lot of things riding west coast type trails. And visa versa.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I prefer east coast riding super technical and rocks and roots everywhere. Out here I just do not find the challenge I did riding the east coast. It is fun going fast but I prefer to challenge myself with very technical riding. This come from my trials background. I raced the Mountain States Cup and was not overly impressed with the technical aspect of the courses.

Is there anywhere with yearound lift access?

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Pip3r said:
i havnt ridden out west but the fact is there is tons of lift access riding around new england. Within 6 hours for me (boston) there is Jiminy Peak, Plattekill, West Mtn, Whiteface, Diablo, Mt Snow, Killington, Bolton Valley, attitash, Bromont and the new park opening at Magic Mountain,
Thats 11 places... all filled with green tree'd, rich roost bustin soil for shreddage.
But then again, atleast out west you can ride all year long, and as it is right now id kill to be able to go dirt jumping or do a shuttle run.
fenway is soft but has no puddles as of right now... :thumb:

as for this post...if I can ride its good enough for me. I live for tight technical trails with some flow though...so anywhere that I can find that is great!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pip3r said:
Within 6 hours for me
Damn, you guys would drive 6 hours just to go DHing?

The most I drive is about 3 hours, and I only do that for a few 5000' vert descents.

If I have to drive more than 1.5 hours for good downhill I am kinda pissed, but I'm rarely in that situation. I can't fathom having to drive that far, hell 6 hours gets me to moab.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
West Coast mutha f-kers!

My magazine and video skills have shown me all I need to know aboout the east coast. Really I'm a east coast pro after last months mag. East coast could be fun, but where can you ride, surf, and pimp on bikini chicks all in a few hours on the east coast (year round biatches). Nowhere thats where! West Coast it is.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
I love the east and there is tons of riding up here in Vermont. Especially XC/trail riding. More then I could ever need. But I am moving out to Auburn, CA next fall so well will have to see which is better. I here there is great riding in this area, and it is still a bit wooded.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I'd love to ride west coast, it's all about the ride. But the east coast mud freaks some west coasters out! :eek:

Note: I said only SOME, not all....

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Pip3r said:
Don't forget Highland Mountain. That will be opening up next year and let me tell you, the work those guys have done there is incredible.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
DHCorky said:
I prefer east coast riding super technical and rocks and roots everywhere. Out here I just do not find the challenge I did riding the east coast. It is fun going fast but I prefer to challenge myself with very technical riding. This come from my trials background. I raced the Mountain States Cup and was not overly impressed with the technical aspect of the courses.

Is there anywhere with yearound lift access?
I take it you've never been to Northstar. Its not year around, but its fairly tech.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Polandspring88 said:
Don't forget Highland Mountain. That will be opening up next year and let me tell you, the work those guys have done there is incredible.

oh word thats what i was thinking of, couldnt think of the name and magic popped in my head, but thats that other place in VT i believe.

[Dv8]

Chimp
Dec 27, 2005
Couldnt east and west just even themselves out. There is pretty intense riding on both ends. Hard comparision.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Yea, West coast for sure. We have everything, Including whislter.

You say we don't have slow tech rocky stuff? Ever been to N*. Right now the trails are way muddy too.

We win

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
FlipFantasia said:
there's unique riding on both sides of the continent, neither is better or worse, just different......why are people obsessed with what's "best"
funny, lots of best of the best threads.(usually stuff like frame,forks,brakes.)perhaps poor wording? Most rippin states to DH? and poll NY,CO,CA,UT... Kind of doesn't show the + and - ,,, NE is smaller then 1/2 the state of Cal. with more lifts, and not everyone out there in Cali just stops ridin cuz a lift shuts down, and likewise here, people who are new, prolly aren't flokin to mt. xyz just cuz it's there and they can.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
Actually the opposite is true.
Normally when people are getting carted off left and right, it has nothing to do with the course being hard and technical.
It normally comes down to poor execution of a course.
Too little thought and effort going into a course to make it hard and safe at the same time. There is nothing lamer than to be at a race having a good time, and constantly hearing sirens cranking up.:rolleyes:
well put. challenging is one thing, constant injuring of your friends is another.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've been fortunate enough to have ridden in 18-19 different states, east and west. they're all good, but you'll have a hard time pulling me out of east tennessee and western north carolina.the west has whistler but i've got windrock mt. and ya'll don't know what your missin. but i think we all have it good, everyone has their favorite spot that they'll defend till the end.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ncrider said:
West Coast mutha f-kers!

My magazine and video skills have shown me all I need to know aboout the east coast. Really I'm a east coast pro after last months mag. East coast could be fun, but where can you ride, surf, and pimp on bikini chicks all in a few hours on the east coast (year round biatches). Nowhere thats where! West Coast it is.
:confused: you obviously forgot about florida.