Votes: 69 45.1%
  • West

Votes: 84 54.9%

• Total voters

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
what does surfing have to do with best DH riding? And it seems like the west coasters are much more closed minded about their trails and such.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
motomike said:
what does surfing have to do with best DH riding? And it seems like the west coasters are much more closed minded about their trails and such.
yeah thats what it sounds like. i know that most new englanders enjoy riding almost anywhere because of the diversity in trails but it seems that the west coasters need to have the trails be exactly like the trails they always ride for them to be content.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
chicodude said:
you guys are mad because you guess live on the east coast. It's okay.

East coast is where its at my friend. Come ride some of our gnar techness (if you can handle it) and you will see what its all about over here. Being able to drive less than 4 hours to over a dozen different lift access hills that are filled with steep chutes, tech rock gardens, and pure new england mud. I love it over here, but its just too bad its only seasonal....

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
techness we have some of the most techness trails around just here in sb

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
zmtber said:
techness we have some of the most techness trails around just here in sb
yeah, i guess avoiding all those militant hikers with their walking sticks, would definately add to the techincal aspest of your trails.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
People on the east coast seem to forget that it rains A LOT here in the winter. Right now there are floods in norcal, and it's rainy in socal too. We have tons of variety in our trails, ranging from technical all rock trails to smooth singletract in the pacific northwest. For technical, don't forget about Colorado or Idaho. It's cool because in the summer it's dry and in the winter it's wet so we can ride our trails in 2 different conditions. We also have way better skiing and snowboarding. You can't even try to argue that one. Granted, there are more lifts in the east but it's just better out here in general. People are laid back and there are lots of cool towns. Our cars don't rust, we don't really have to worry about snow, and we can ride all year long. So there. :eviltongu

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
dhbuilder said:
yeah, i guess avoiding all those militant hikers with their walking sticks, would definately add to the techincal aspest of your trails.
That's only in ONE TOWN in the west. Dealing with rednecks going shooting in the woods must add to the thrilling nature of your trails in Tennessee.:blah:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
like i said earlier. it's all good. no matter where we live. just be happy we all have the ability and places to ride.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Bicyclist said:
That's only in ONE TOWN in the west. Dealing with rednecks going shooting in the woods must add to the thrilling nature of your trails in Tennessee.:blah:
that it does, that it does.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Bicyclist said:
For technical, don't forget about Colorado or Idaho.
I have yet to make it to Idaho or Utah but Colorado is really lacking anything technical.

Both coasts have developed their trails differently. The west started on fireroads and started to make them technical and then branching off the roads into the woods. Most the places out here that I have ridden have a strong sub structure of fireroads that other trails split off of. The single track carries the same speed and flow of the fireroads.

The east coast made a majority of trails from scratch. Riders started taking the technical singletrack XC trails and building them on hills. The trails have a very tight feel. Handlebars just missing trees at the sametime you are trying to negotiate a rock garden.

The two coasts just have different styles of trail building.

In an earlier post someone said they have never heard an east coast rider complain about the west, yet they have heard west coast riders complain about the east. What was the complaint? It would not surprise me if they said the trails were slow and to tight to really ride. They did not have much "flow".

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
DHCorky said:
I have yet to make it to Idaho or Utah but Colorado is really lacking anything technical.
I thought the same thing. However while Telluride's race course isn't that tech, that mountain has some steep-a$$ tech trails built by the locals. They have a freeride feel and wouldn't race well.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
gnurider1080 said:
yeah thats what it sounds like. i know that most new englanders enjoy riding almost anywhere because of the diversity in trails but it seems that the west coasters need to have the trails be exactly like the trails they always ride for them to be content.
haha cali/west coast has such a big varity of trails, and we ride them all...like someone said before just cali is bigger then most of new england.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
dhbuilder said:
like i said earlier. it's all good. no matter where we live. just be happy we all have the ability and places to ride.
not true the east coast suck...hahaah
Just look at the poll we're wining

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
B_LOWrider said:
not true the east coast suck...hahaah
Just look at the poll we're wining
naw, that just means your trails are more crowded than ours.we don't have to worry about running up on slow pokes like you.

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
dhbuilder said:
naw, that just means your trails are more crowded than ours.we don't have to worry about running up on slow pokes like you.
hahah its probably true.....but we're still better and im not thattttt slow

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
dhbuilder said:
Too bad we have WAY more space, so we're probably less dense. Where I ride I have NEVER been stuck behind someone other than some of my riding buddies.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
People keep telling me there are good trails on Cape Cod (where I grew up) now, but I'll believe it when I see it. Besides there's no freaking Lyme disease or horrifying proliferation of deer ticks. That alone tips my hand to the west side, and then there's the year round riding, and all the other aspects I posted earlier.

Bicyclist said:
Granted, there are more lifts in the east but it's just better out here in general. People are laid back and there are lots of cool towns. Our cars don't rust, we don't really have to worry about snow, and we can ride all year long. So there. :eviltongu
You forgot the other thousand miles of east coast between NC and Florida, where all those things are true as well. :blah:

I'm happy riding wherever.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
wish i could say i have tried the west coast
someday
east coast is fun though, lots of hidden treasures

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
yes, there is no tech riding anywhere in the west, it's all easy and wide, stay away please......

.....platty helped me get some basics for some gnarly stuff out here.....but I also know riding out here would help make me a better rider back east......so many presumptions and misconceptions

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
If you can ride it it seems good to me. And all you east coasters talk as if Cali is the West, us WA and OR people know a little about mud and tech. One word, SNOQUALMIE.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
carbuncle said:
People keep telling me there are good trails on Cape Cod (where I grew up) now, but I'll believe it when I see it. Besides there's no freaking Lyme disease or horrifying proliferation of deer ticks. That alone tips my hand to the west side, and then there's the year round riding, and all the other aspects I posted earlier.
Yeah there are good trails on Cape Cod, they are good but, I would have to kill you after I showed them to you. :)

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I have relatives on CC and I've taken a bike up there a few times, but never really found any great trails myself. Care to enlighten me with a PM?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I wonder how many people who are voting have actually ridden on both sides of the country. I've ridden out west just a few times, and it's just different than what I'm used to on the east.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
I wonder how many people who are voting have actually ridden on both sides of the country. I've ridden out west just a few times, and it's just different than what I'm used to on the east.
bingo. and nebulous terms like "east" and "west" are rendered meaningless when trying to envelop several hundred thousand square miles.

as far as DH out west, i've only been to northstar, but dragged my freeride bike to moab and have been xc'ing probably a dozen times in northern cal, OR, CO, NM, AZ and UT.

i like both kinds (country and western).

signed from bob's country bunker.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
carbuncle said:
the trail of tears is one of the most fun xc trails that i have ever ridden. its super fast and flowy. you just put it in the big ring and fly through the woods. i love the natural berms that are all over the place there. check it out if you are ever back in the area.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
So we aren't talking about the moon? East coast moon terrain kicks some ass...I'm talking a good 40 pinkbike feet...off mossless logs. Pretty flowy, really...though it's a bitch to find tires that stick.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
narlus said:
where do the best skiers come from, the east or the west?
Such as Bode Miller or the Egan Brothers or even look where some of the Big Line rippers are from...
East Coast Baby...
:)

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Superdeft said:
I have relatives on CC and I've taken a bike up there a few times, but never really found any great trails myself. Care to enlighten me with a PM?
Someone else already blew it, so I'll just say Trail Of Tears is the same one that was talked up to me by my cousin. I just remember that the last time I was riding regularly there, the only stuff open was the power lines. Woohoo, power lines... Personally, I love the Bell's Neck conservation area on the Harwich/Dennis line, and there are a ton of trails in there that I grew up putzing around on as a kid. If you poked around in there, did some loops, got creative with where you went in and came out you would get a good few miles in, and see the only things I like about the Cape any more.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DH biker said:
Such as Bode Miller or the Egan Brothers or even look where some of the Big Line rippers are from...
East Coast Baby...
:)
No doubt a lot of great skiers are from the East Coast.

But you know what - I'd be dollars to donuts none of them would choose to ski the East Coast. ;)

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Any place that gets you away from the redundant idiocies of these forums and on your bike is heaven.

Kansas would be an improvement!