Quantcast

East Coast Photos

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Ok, so I guess the photos worked. The photos were shot at Highland Mountain in NH, (sooo much fun) by Skye Nacel of Perpetual Mocean. I am a Prosthetist and am hoping to use the photos in some industry publications and, who knows, maybe even some bike magazines. The leg was designed by my friend, and fellow peg legger, Brian Bartlett who some may have seen some write ups in Decline and Bike. Hope you enjoy. View attachment 96146

View attachment 96147

View attachment 96148

View attachment 96149

View attachment 96150

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, if you look at the second photo, the black piece at the ankle rotates aprox 30* and is also a vertical shock. The rotation is key because with the lack of an anatomical ankle my foot would come unclipped due to body english on the bike. I ended up modifying it and locking out the vertical shock because it was eating up pedal power.

The knee is very cool as well. I've been riding since '95 and, up until I got this knee, I was never able to stand and pedal or even ride with level pedals through rock gardens ect. I did pretty well without out it, but jumping and such was a little sketchy because my sound side foot would always rotate down to the bottom six O'clock position...not good. With this knee I can stand and sprint ect. due to those giant rubber "Bartlett Tendons" which act much like your quad muscles. Night and day difference.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats sick buddy.
yeah i couldnt tell what rotated or not...and i thought those black things were like a tendon/muscle of some sort
if you ever get down to platty let us guys from Delta House know. we setup a photo shoot there too

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Great pics, man. Every time my buddies and I see you at Highland (which is pretty much every single time we're there - do you live in that little house thing on the slopestyle course or something??? :-), you make us feel like wimps because you're doing insane crap that we'd never try with two full legs, much less one!

--JP

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I saw pictures in the Eurobike thread where Giant has already made an exact duplicate of you and your leg and are selling their version of you internationally despite what they claim are subtle differences from your original genetic code on file with the international genetic patent office.

Good luck getting yourself back.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
awesome pictures, not to mention incredibly motivating. here i am whining about my knee being swollen and there are guys like you and your buddy ripping it up!

all you need to do now is get him to design you a 5.10 sole plate!! (and then post more pictures here for us to check out, of course)

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I saw pictures in the Eurobike thread where Giant has already made an exact duplicate of you and your leg and are selling their version of you internationally despite what they claim are subtle differences from your original genetic code on file with the international genetic patent office.

Good luck getting yourself back.
Ya I saw that..........It had a DW link connecting the shin bone to the knee.
Bastads!

Sweet pics.....inspirational.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Blue anodise! Sa-weet!

Just looking at your foot/sole placement. If you put your foot back on the pedal in the wrong position, how does that work out?

I'm guessing you've tried a clipped in prosthetic? How was that? One thing that comes to mind is unclipping during the run...

A lad over here rides with a shimano spd-style system in place of a hand.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Thats awesome bro! At my local mountain (Northstar) I was doing a closing sweep run and ran into a group of people, one dude was a single amputee, and one chick was a double amputee. The dude said he had been riding pro motox for quite some time, so he was pretty comfortable. The chick was doing great as well, mad props to her! Very cool indeed.

Nice pics as well!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Thanks for all of the comments.

Edward and Orvin; You guys should come out east! I know Whistler is the meca, but there is sooo much variety out here. And yes Orven, there is no riding like freeriding. I have even started to drop the armor for the extra coreness. I learned that in Bellflower.

Other questions: No the leg desn't fall off. It is basically held on by suction and a hip belt for secondary suspension. Foot: I made that myself after using a normal shoe on a regular foot for years. 1) It's much lighter. 2) I feel more directly conected and over the pedal with 1 less 90* angle between connection points. 3) With a normal cleat placement the leg tends to extend more while in the air due to the tension on those rubber "Tendons". Not fun when this happens, as it tends to throw your hips and weight forward and leave you landing strait legged on that side.
Clipping in/out: I have to clip in using my hand and once I'm in thats it. No dabbing, no left foot out drifts and if I start to go down on that side, I'm going down. It will however clip out in nasty wrecks, which I've had my share of, and occasionally when I don't want to.. which gets ugly quick. (picture bull riding with one leg staight out in the air!)

Other advantages; I get great parking...let's not rehash that thread! 1 pair of shin guards lasts me a long time!

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Thanks for all of the comments.

Edward and Orvin; You guys should come out east! I know Whistler is the meca, but there is sooo much variety out here. And yes Orven, there is no riding like freeriding. I have even started to drop the armor for the extra coreness. I learned that in Bellflower.

Other questions: No the leg desn't fall off. It is basically held on by suction and a hip belt for secondary suspension. Foot: I made that myself after using a normal shoe on a regular foot for years. 1) It's much lighter. 2) I feel more directly conected and over the pedal with 1 less 90* angle between connection points. 3) With a normal cleat placement the leg tends to extend more while in the air due to the tension on those rubber "Tendons". Not fun when this happens as it tends to throw your hips and weight forward and leave you landing strait legged on that side.
think you might come down for the annual fall Windrock extravangza in November?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
My old buddy Loo has been telling me to come down, but as you well know, ( I have a 4 1/2 yr old son and 1 yr daughter), that is a tough one to sell to the wife!