Quantcast

East Coast World Cup??......maybe

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
I think MTBpaint is confusing the national champs. with a world cup round. Hint would be the date, Mid July is the national champs date, not the weekend Anglefire is scedualed.(Late June)

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
I think mtbpaint1 has the World Cup mixed up with:

USA CYCLING NATIONAL MOUNTAIN BIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS
July 17-22, 2006
Downhill, Dual Slalom, XC, Short Track, Observed Trials, Speed Trials, Vintage Bike Show, Demos, Concert & more.
Mount Snow Vermont

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i hadnt even thought of killington, but they definitly could pull it off and some of their new trails are amazing. But they havnt even held their very successfull 'Beauty and the Beast' local race the past 2 years.
Mt Snow obviously could do it but I dont see that being very real for this year considering they are putting on their local race series, and the nationals and it seems they dump a lot of that responsibility on a small crew.
Whiteface, would be.... amazing. They are hoping to put together another big money race next year which should attract a much bigger showing and would definitly lay some groundwork before a huge event.
I'd be curious to see how many spectators would show up. Lake placed loves their sports, and the East Coast has a pretty big DH scene going on right now with so many local races

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whiteface would be awesome, massive elevation change and they definately have the capacity. They would need to build more trails though...the upper section would be so boring.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
whiteface would be awesome, massive elevation change and they definately have the capacity. They would need to build more trails though...the upper section would be so boring.

Not only that, you could make the course as practically as steep as you wanted, there are great facilities (fast lift), and there's a great world-cup-friendly town. Oh, and I could get there without breaking the bank.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
The 5K whiteface dh of a few months ago was awesome to ride. Is a 6 minute run too long for world cup? Add some jumps(big and small) over some rough spots, berms on some of the corners. That makes its 5 minutes long, fast and fun. Two long world cup tracks back to back would be killer, literally.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
The 5K whiteface dh of a few months ago was awesome to ride. Is a 6 minute run too long for world cup? Add some jumps(big and small) over some rough spots, berms on some of the corners. That makes its 5 minutes long, fast and fun. Two long world cup tracks back to back would be killer, literally.
That course is probably an average WC course. You have to remember the WC guys are on a while nother level from the local pros.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
it would definitly still be a 5+ minute course for the big bois. Although for a WC race if it were to be based off that race they had earlier, the woods would probably have to be divided up a bit more, they were fun but a little repetitive. had there of been one open section at some point in the woods itd have a bit more flow

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge

Are you kidding? The upper section would be raped by WC pros. I'd bet they would love it and I'd love to see them doing it. I had fun at the 5k race there back in the late summer.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Where the hell is downhill mike in all this Whiteface/World Cup banter? Jesus, Mike! C'mon man!

Viciousdher, sorry to hear about the kid's knee!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Where the hell is downhill mike in all this Whiteface/World Cup banter? Jesus, Mike! C'mon man!
I would've expected to have seen his take on all this by now,too. Maybe he's afraid he won't be able to contain himself with some secret news.:biggrin:

toby

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you kidding? The upper section would be raped by WC pros. I'd bet they would love it and I'd love to see them doing it. I had fun at the 5k race there back in the late summer.
i'm talking about the fireroad before the first section...not sure if it's the same to the race course, i can't remember.

it's just a long windy gravel road to the top of the old downhill...i guess they would rip it but it's not that intense...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
5k DH race started out on a ski run.
yeah, the 5k started in a completely different spot and went fast right off the start... it was a totally different course than the "old DH course"

the 5k race was too long for a WC, but with some modifications to the loooong woods and run it a bit more direct and "fall line" towards the bottom where it flattens out and it would have world class potential for sure.

but my money is on bromont for some reason. they have held world cups before and they hold a canadian national each year and had a long run with masters worlds as well. the promoters/organizers have everything in place already and (most importantly) have proven to the UCI that they can handle this kind of event. there is also an international airport an hour away, etc...

i would love to see it in the US though

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
dont the countries bid on holding the races? If thats the case, if they were to replace AngelFire wouldnt it have to be in the US?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
dont the countries bid on holding the races? If thats the case, if they were to replace AngelFire wouldnt it have to be in the US?

as far as i know promoters/organizers bid on the events... for example Gestev bids on mount saint anne, Cycle Cyndicate (forget what it is called now) would bid for angel fire, mondial velo/gestev bid on bromont, the vail valley organization bid on vail in years past, etc.

WC's usually go to venue's and/or organizations that have a proven record putting on world class level events and haveing a previous relationship with UCI helps

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
as far as i know promoters/organizers bid on the events... for example Gestev bids on mount saint anne, Cycle Cyndicate (forget what it is called now) would bid for angel fire, mondial velo/gestev bid on bromont, the vail valley organization bid on vail in years past, etc.

WC's usually go to venue's and/or organizations that have a proven record putting on world class level events and haveing a previous relationship with UCI helps

yes and also a sizable deposit has to be done to insure the UCI against f ups

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Even though it would be much more convinient for an east coast venue I personally was really looking forward to Angle Fire. But then again I'm not going to Brazil the next week, that travel schedule would be tough.

Just another reason to move east, young man:cheers:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I definitely think the whole lake placid area has proven it self already.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Minimum course length 1500m
Maximum course length 3500m

Minimum duration 2min
Maximum duration 5min

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
I highly doubt it would be plattekil. That place is an absolute dump and has absolutely none of the amenities to hold a World Cup caliber event. There are 2 or 3 east coast venues, both above and below the border, that could handle a World Cup with ease; Plattekil isn't one of them.

There have been rumours since the original schedule was released (as well as before it), and if all works well, it will probably end up at one of those. It woudl certainly make life easier on everyone who has to travel, that is for sure.
Yeah, the place is kinda a dump! I was just commenting on the riding, pretty much joking about it!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't think that rule is enforced too much. There have been courses longer than 5 minutes in recent years.
It is enforced pretty strictly actually. They make exceptions to break into new venues (brazil for example). Ste Anne had to modify the course in order to fit it inside of 5 minutes. The original old course would never in fit.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I don't think that rule is enforced too much. There have been courses longer than 5 minutes in recent years.
Peat was under 2 minutes at Willingen. Longer than 2 and shorter than 5 is completely relative to who is riding.

*Fingers crossed for a Northstar WC one day.* Or Norba. Or heck, anything!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Peat was under 2 minutes at Willingen. Longer than 2 and shorter than 5 is completely relative to who is riding.

*Fingers crossed for a Northstar WC one day.* Or Norba. Or heck, anything!
The rule is the average of a certain amount of the top men. I believe it is something like average of top 20 elite men or something. It used to be in the UCI rulebook actually.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
the chances of the US getting another WC in the near future is next to dismal, unfortunately their track record of cancellations will likely mean they won't be getting anything for possibly even years to come

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Angelfire is now officially out as of today. No replacement location has been announced.
Wow, how disappointing. I thought we were on to something here with Angel Fire returning to the schedule. A World Cup is just not complete without a stop in the US.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in one of the UCI board meetings...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
the chances of the US getting another WC in the near future is next to dismal, unfortunately their track record of cancellations will likely mean they won't be getting anything for possibly even years to come

it was canceled by the UCI due to the travel nightmare that would have occured between tat venue and mount st. anne in canada... good logic though:brow:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
it was canceled by the UCI due to the travel nightmare that would have occured between tat venue and mount st. anne in canada... good logic though:brow:
Nope, it was cancelled completely due to Angelfire's lack of communication (presumably with sponsors - they can't do the event justice they said). The choice was made 100% by Angelfire and not the UCI.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Nope, it was cancelled completely due to Angelfire's lack of communication (presumably with sponsors - they can't do the event justice they said). The choice was made 100% by Angelfire and not the UCI.
my bad... the reason that was given by some people close to the event was that UCI told them they had to change the date or loose the event... probably a classic example of the guilty party trying to shift the blame.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
While I think Whiteface could indeed host a world cup from an amenity viewpoint, I am not sure it is ready for that size of an event on an organization standpoint. Mike is working hard, but he is pretty much a 1 man show.

The best events I have been to (Livigno Worlds, Ste Anne Worlds, Ste Anne World Cup, Vail World Cup, Ft Bill World Cup etc) have all had MASSIVE organizing committes with gigantic amounts of experience running large, world caliber events. I just don't see a small organization that is relatively new to the game being able to pull off a huge event like a World Cup flawlessly (or as near to it as possible). Doing it when you are predisposed to problems is not a good way to build up a solid reputation.

If he can do it however, I'll eat my words. I hope he proves me wrong if this is indeed the case.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
While I think Whiteface could indeed host a world cup from an amenity viewpoint, I am not sure it is ready for that size of an event on an organization standpoint. Mike is working hard, but he is pretty much a 1 man show.

The best events I have been to (Livigno Worlds, Ste Anne Worlds, Ste Anne World Cup, Vail World Cup, Ft Bill World Cup etc) have all had MASSIVE organizing committes with gigantic amounts of experience running large, world caliber events. I just don't see a small organization that is relatively new to the game being able to pull off a huge event like a World Cup flawlessly (or as near to it as possible). Doing it when you are predisposed to problems is not a good way to build up a solid reputation.

If he can do it however, I'll eat my words. I hope he proves me wrong if this is indeed the case.
If Whiteface were indeed to get a World Cup Mtb race it would not be Mike as a one man show putting it on. Even though the Mtn Bike center at is a 1-2 man operation the company that runs all of the Olympic Venues the rest of the time would undoubtedly step in. ORDA can put on an event like this easily. They have a department of about 15-20 people just for event promotion and planning. Not to mention individuals from many of their other departments who would be involved as well.
However, Whiteface is a state run organization and legally they have to accept bids from other companies for stuff like this. This leaves room for a company like Gestev to potentially be involved. A few years ago, like 5 or 6, Gestev and the UCI had people go to Whiteface to look at it as a potential venue. Obviously nothing came of it then, maybe something will in the future?