Quantcast

Eastern Woods Research - a little blast from the past

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
On the 29er forum over on emptybeer a guy is having a custom 29er made by Thylacine Cycles over in Aussie land that is inspired by an old Eastern Woods Research Frame.

A local rider has an EWR hardtail and it is wicked cool - so I thought I'd see if anyone remembers these bikes/frames and or maybe has owned or owns one.

I'd love to get my hands on one of the Woods Bike Framesets!

Enjoy.

I think these ones were more XC oriented vs. woods bike oriented

Brunge/Manhatanprjkt - do you guys ever see any of these out on the trails in PA?

Cheers,

Mark

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Those bikes were made a trials rider named jay Dejesus. He's still dominating the scene in personality and riding; however, I think the frame building was too much. It's a bummer b/c those bike were ahead of their time and people would buy them now more than ever.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
That orange E-Motion (last picture) was mine. I sold it to Eric's cousin (Eric is in the picture with the orange Woods bike) a couple of years ago.

In the picture above, it was overbuilt (at least over forked) for it's intended purpose. But man, those were fun bikes.

Eric still rides his, it's his only bike. I kinda miss mine sometimes...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
E-Motion - I dig that name.

Were they designed for 80mm forks optimally?

What about the woods bikes? 100mm forks? The black one looks to have an early Psylo on it and it doesn't look overly slack.

Any idea of what type of steel was used to produce them? Was it just 4130 cromoly?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
There were a few good threads in the VRC forums over at MTBR, if you can tolerate that place...

Anyway, from what I remember, the Woods and standard E-Motion were straight 4130, but there was an E-Motion "Race" or "Light" that was butted OX-II. Mine was of the standard variety.

The geometry was around 72/74, super tight rear, like <16", and 12-12.5" bb. I can't remember all of the numbers exactly, but they were steep and tight.

All were designed around the then standard 70-80mm fork. A longer fork was ok, since it only made the head/seat angles a little more 'normal,' but it jacked up the bb even higher.

SlapheadMofo

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Westminster MA
Oh man, I've wanted one of those forever.
There's a guy that shows up to the Shawnee snow race in Maine with one; one of these years I'm gonna talk him into parting with it (I hope).

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You do!

Congrats - keep it!

But take some photos and share with the rest of us Monkeys please.

Oh and in the meantime provide some details (color, model, specs etc).
It's like the last one pictured, the orange one. Medim I think. I bought it off someone on mtbr for 50 or 75 dollars about 6 years ago.

Birdsh!t yellow rattle can paint job.

There is supposed to be a dent somewhere on one of the chainstays, but I could never find it.

What parts I had to build that or the metalhead I have, I gave to stinkyboy for his charity bikes.......which reminds me I need to mail him the handlebars I got around to finding.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
<snip with cool pics> Brunge/Manhatanprjkt - do you guys ever see any of these out on the trails in PA?

Cheers,

Mark
Mark,

Yep. Not many around, but my friend Chuck Greenlee I believe used to carry them. Chuck was one of the main keystone people in the sport back in the 80's and 90's for our area. He was always taking chances with smaller frame builders, and that was cool. He had a few come through his shop, and I have seen a few in action over the years. I haven't seen one in a while though!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i swear we had an identical ode-to-EWR thread a few years ago, but i can't find it so i'll repost: seeing a back of the magazine photo sequence of jay dejesus sidehopping up onto a loading dock on one of his EWR stock trials bikes was what originally got me into trials. :)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i swear we had an identical ode-to-EWR thread a few years ago, but i can't find it so i'll repost: seeing a back of the magazine photo sequence of jay dejesus sidehopping up onto a loading dock on one of his EWR stock trials bikes was what originally got me into trials. :)
I used to camp next to Jay and his merry band of misfits for about 10 years in a row at MBW at Jim Thorpe. Those guys ripped on those bikes. He is a wicked nice guy too...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I used to camp next to Jay and his merry band of misfits for about 10 years in a row at MBW at Jim Thorpe. Those guys ripped on those bikes. He is a wicked nice guy too...

didn't I just read something in the recent past that Jay, was injured, and out of commission for a bit of time? I think I read that he was doing better. But I think there was a fundraiser over on DirtRag's forum to help pay some medical bills.

I will do a little digging!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
didn't I just read something in the recent past that Jay, was injured, and out of commission for a bit of time? I think I read that he was doing better. But I think there was a fundraiser over on DirtRag's forum to help pay some medical bills.

I will do a little digging!
Man if that's true that sucks. I will say a prayer for him anyways.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In the mid 90s, I'd see one or two at the large races. They weren't very common. Jay DeJesus was one one during that period

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
When Evil put out the Sovereign, I always thought it had a little EWR in the genes...apparently not by intent, just by convergent evolution.

Anyhow, I could swear I read a Dirt Rag a few years ago that featured a custom frame made by a guy named DeJesus who was a well-known oldschool rider...remember it being cromoly and ridiculously inexpensive. Am I hallucinating?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just saw you were asking us, i definately havent seen any around here in a long time. Funny thing is that bike would probably be PERFECT for pgh riding. Steel hardtails rock in this area...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've always liked the looks of those. Sorta related, I sold a mid-90s Look full carbon mtb frame this weekend for $50. Just don't have the $$$ to build up something like that.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Those bikes were made a trials rider named jay Dejesus. He's still dominating the scene in personality and riding; however, I think the frame building was too much. It's a bummer b/c those bike were ahead of their time and people would buy them now more than ever.
I saw Jay racing DS at Plattekill in October, dude continues to rip it up!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Someone with no posts sent me a pm yesterday morning about buying mine.

Odd.

Kenn Bendajo

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Here is a wicked video that Nat Bartholomew put up for the Jump Jam - the last couple minutes includes an interview with Ted, the host, Jay DeJesus, and some good close ups of the EWR's that showed up.

I remember seeing somewhere that Nat asked people to save the file for reviewing as bandwidth costs him money, and he put this up gratis.
From hcor.net:
Finished the short vid with interviews with, well, you'll see. I think I milked every ounce of footage I took that day. This was some work, so any comments/criticism are welcome. Enjoy.

I will be posting a high def version of the riding part shortly. This file is big 132mb, but the footage wouldn't have the same effect all pixelated.

www.spinteck.com/teds_ruckus2007_3mbps.wmv

Excellent Footage Nat... Excellent.:clapping:

This just in.... Eastern Woods Research is alive and well!!!
www.ewrbikes.com

Making classic versions of the original woods and e-motion frames with updated geometries and disc tabs. WOO - HOOOO !!!

Here are some late 90's pics of me racing JrX cross country back in PA on my trusty old 1997 EWR E-Motion Race frame. Hooray for tripple butted steel, I still ride this bike all the time, but now shes a single speeder.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
This just in.... Eastern Woods Research is alive and well!!!
www.ewrbikes.com

Making classic versions of the original woods and e-motion frames with updated geometries and disc tabs. WOO - HOOOO !!!

Here are some late 90's pics of me racing JrX cross country back in PA on my trusty old 1997 EWR E-Motion Race frame. Hooray for tripple butted steel, I still ride this bike all the time, but now shes a single speeder.

That's cool to hear!! Keep us updated.

Mark

Here's my current build, all timepiece oriented:
comes to 24 lbs even with Marzocchi and Maguras, so whoever said they are heavy is full of crap, it's the lightest bike I own.

Frame: 1997 EWR E-Motion Race (triple butted True Temper OX-III steel)
Parts: Marzocchi Z.1 CR fork (100mm)
Magura HS-33 Raceline brakes
Shimano XTR hubs/Sun 0 XC rims (radial front, 2x/3x rear)
Cooks Bros. Racing E-Cranks
Shimano XT square taper sealed bb
S&M Flat Pedals
Chris King head set
Azonic Shorty stem
Answer Pro-Taper bars
1010P Bar caps (tatoo lou's company)
Oury grips
Tioga tires
Surly singleator chain tensioner
Thompson post
Sella Italia saddle

Took me almost 10 years to gather all the parts and finish dialing in this bike, but she's finally done.

Nov 12, 2007
"wish I could get my hands on an 'original woods bike'"

You can! Check the website out at www.ewrbikes.com

Word is the first run of the updated "original woods bike" will be available for purchase in February 2008.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Any idea of what the frames will sell for? Will they be affordable do you think? Were the original ones "high end" for their time or were they affordable for the average joe rider?