Quantcast

Easy Morewood Izumi Question

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What's the BB shell size? 73 or 83? (I would think 83, but I think I saw XTs on one).

Thanks!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
How do they manage to do that w/ teh 150mm rear end? (or is it 135?)
BB shell size has nothing to do with rear spacing. Giants have 135mm spacing and 100mm BBs.

The reason you see wider bb shells on some bikes is that it gives the frame designer lots of room for pivots and such. The 150 or 165mm rear end corrects the chainline and gives a zero dish wheel. If you don't have any low pivots, (morewood) then you have no reason to run a wide BB.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
You run the risk of messing up your chainline w/a 150mm rear hub and a 73mm shell.
If you're running a 150mm rear hub you should be using an 83mm bb.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You run the risk of messing up your chainline w/a 150mm rear hub and a 73mm shell.
If you're running a 150mm rear hub you should be using an 83mm bb.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but see buildyourown's post.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Chris is correct - the key thing here being the spindle width. If you run a BB with a spindle width designed for a 49-50mm chainline, you WILL have a screwed-up chainline with a 150mm rear hub.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
The spacing on the BB shell of all of our bikes is 73mm, and the chainline on the Izimu is 53 (48.5 on the rest of the frames)
I have not fitted the Shimano XT cranks to any of our bikes before, but according to the spec's your chainline should be perfect. As worst you will have to cut off/ grind down the small chainring tabs so that they clear your chain device.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The spacing on the BB shell of all of our bikes is 73mm, and the chainline on the Izimu is 53 (48.5 on the rest of the frames)
I have not fitted the Shimano XT cranks to any of our bikes before, but according to the spec's your chainline should be perfect. As worst you will have to cut off/ grind down the small chainring tabs so that they clear your chain device.
Great, that's the answer I was looking for.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Hmmm so a 135 hub equals a 47.5 - 48mm chaiinline , and that is what all older bbs were set up for (113mm ISIS). Add ((150 - 135) /2) 7.5 mm to the chainline when going to the 150 rear, gives a 55.5 - 56 mm chainline. How does the Moorewood have a 53mm chainline? Is the rear asym?

FYI the xt outboards are 50mm if you follow the directions. You can also remove a drive side spacer to get a 47.5mm chainline on most applications.

The bb does not tell you the chainline, but it can restrict it. You cannot run a 47.5 mm chainline on an 83mm bb.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A

Sweet bike was tempted to get eh zebra decal kit when ordering mine but thought it might not look that good in the flesh. What shock have you got on there?

Back on topic they get a 150mm back end with a 73 mm shell by having an asymetric rear end the same as 223/224s and cove peelers etc. Theres quite a few bikes are set up that way.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
sorry for the blatant derail

yep it's a Ti Avy

also glow-in-the-dark paint under those zebra decals (for those lonely nites on race weekends in the hotel room.)

this bike is currently on its way to Colorado and it's new RM owner 'Rye-Bread':banana:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
sorry for the blatant derail

yep it's a Ti Avy

also glow-in-the-dark paint under those zebra decals (for those lonely nites on race weekends in the hotel room.)

this bike is currently on its way to Colorado and it's new RM owner 'Rye-Bread':banana:
Wow, that paint looks AWESOME. No excuses necessary. :D

Can you get any color in glo-in-the-dark, or just white?