Quantcast

Ebay car buying

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Does anyone have any experience buying or selling a car on Ebay?

I'm tired of my car payment so I'm selling my Mazda. Carmax is offering about 1000 over what I owe on it and i would like to buy something cash. I have a little over 6k saved, I want to spend about 5000k on a car.

Buying a 4runner for anything close to 5k is hard to do where I'm located and Ebay seems to have more than a few I could afford.

Anybody ever done this?

Thanks,

RR

Last edited:

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
I bought my Landcruiser over the internets. I was lucky that I had a friend who went and looked at the truck.

Schedule an inspection by a Toyota dealer and have the seller take the vehicle in. You're paying for the inspection, so unless the dealer and seller are friendly, you ought to get an honest report back.

Transportation fees can be pretty high. Same person who looked at truck drove it from Texas to NY for me (cost a bunch of alcohol and cigars as payment).

YMMV,
Marc

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
add in shipping costs. cross country it's ~$1500 for an SUV
I found it was notably cheaper for me to take a cheap flight, and drive back. I could have saved $400 adtl by camping instead of getting hotels. I think my xc trip was $700 including gas and flight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought a Z from Everett, WA for $300. Drove with a friend up there, drove it home (barely). Bought my motorcycle from an insurance site and had Allied ship it to me for $600 from Minnesota to Oregon.

I have considered a cheap flight out to ride a moto (not wrecked) but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I'm looking at 4runners but they are pretty pricey.

So can anyone recommend another SUV that's worth it's weight?

looking around 5-7k 96 or newer.

I'm not worried about gas mileage because I won't have a car payment.

Looking at 96 and newer 4runner

Range Rover 2000 to 02 reliability report

What else should I add to the list

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Scratch any non-turbo foresters off that list. Head gasket issues. Have you thought about a wagon? Better mileage, generally, and usually cheaper. Plus you can likely get a newer one.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I've had a wagon, loved it. However, I want an SUV. I know it may not seem logical, but it's what i'd prefer to drive.

Edit: I can't pull a lot with a wagon.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm looking at 4runners but they are pretty pricey.

So can anyone recommend another SUV that's worth it's weight?

looking around 5-7k 96 or newer.

I'm not worried about gas mileage because I won't have a car payment.

Looking at 96 and newer 4runner

Range Rover 2000 to 02 reliability report

What else should I add to the list
landcruiser.....fvck a 4runner.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Consider a jeep cherokee (not grand cherokee) with the 4.0 Inline 6.

They are solid, and cheap because there are so many out there... the body style didnt change for 15 years, and easy, easy to get parts for. Great vehicles with great motors and I dont think Ive ever seen one that wasnt 4x4.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There's a lot of those in my price range. Why do you suggest it?
my brother has had two....92 & 94 i think.....zero problems.

i've never heard of people saying the engines in the landcruisers are junk.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Consider a jeep cherokee (not grand cherokee) with the 4.0 Inline 6.

They are solid, and cheap because there are so many out there... the body style didnt change for 15 years, and easy, easy to get parts for. Great vehicles with great motors and I dont think Ive ever seen one that wasnt 4x4.
body style changed in late 97+

They were available in 2wd in limited quantities throughout the years.

Very reliable, very simple, decent ride, 20 mpg if driven like gramma, 18 mpg otherwise.

If you want a loaded one go up country or limited and they are pretty nice, or go sport or SE if you want nice and simple.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
My brother's been looking at the Montero as a possible replacement for his Disco 1. Never owned one, but they look good on paper. Big burly diffs, factory rear locker and apparently the engine and trans are pretty bomb proof. They seem to change hands for quite a bit less than 4runners too. Might be worth looking into.

I'd love to replace my toyota pickup with an 80 series cruiser but a decent one with reasonable mileage goes for way to damn much $$.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I sold one of my cars on ebay. Was pretty easy, but it was a collector's car in not the best shape. I never even met the guy who bought it. He won the auction, sent the payment, sent the truck over, and that was the last I saw of it. The title went in the glove box, signed by me, and I got my bill of sale and everything. We were happy boys. He got the car, gave me +rep, and started fixing it up.

Advertise it appropriately, and don't expect oodles of money for it. Also, carmax will never give you a lot of cash for it, but they will buy it. I suggest craigslisting it or throwing it up on ebay.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'd recommend contacting a couple of auto brokers. You give them the requirements and see what they come up with! Last time we were looking they would even bring the vehicles to our house so we could test drive. Really convenient...