Quantcast

eBay madness: a Teen selling 2% of his future earnings for life*

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
get him to take a life insurance policy out in your name and it might be worth it...2% for life would add up.$$$$$

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Uh...his "plan" is to make $750,000/yr every year of his working life...nice plan. Yeah, I plan on that too....

Realistically, if he get's a good job at $100k/yr it's going to take 50 years to break even.

Cute idea though.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wonder if he would take a Western Union transfer for $150,000 and send me the $50,000 back to me overseas?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
anyone willing to bet he's a crackhead on the streets sawing sparkplugs off of motorcycles for a crack pipe within 10 years of graduating?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
bella said:
why does he need a 100,000 cal state fullerton doesnt cost nearly that much
Strippers.

Seriously. I went away to school for 5 years (in state though) at a Cal State school, and my total bill probably came to around 35-40k. With higher tuition and stuff nowadays, maybe add 5 to 10k to that.

If this kid is truly serious, he would take into account the future value of a dollar. In finance terms, one dollar in 2006 is worth different than one dollar x years from now. My uneducated guess is that his breakeven wages need to be twice as much.

L

luelling

I like all of the questions people asked. I had big ambitions when I started school and figured I was going to make bank....as I got closer to graduation reality set in. Oh well. At least I did engineering and not communications, so the starting pay was higher

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
'After I complete my education I plan on making at least 30 million dollars in my lifetime.'

damn blood nut... american translation = 'stupid red head'

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Where else can you invest in something that pays off every year and has the potential of making you over six times your money? Not the stock market, not real-estate, definitely not gambling. I can't really think of any one thing that pays off ever year like this.
Um, over 40 years? If you can't find something that will give you 600% of your initial investment over 40 years, then you've made some pretty bad investments. Compound interest is a beautiful thing.

Hell, investing $10/week into something that will earn you 7.5% interest, by the time compound interest is done, you'll have earned $132,231 with an actual investment of $19,200. That's close to 700% profit.

:rolleyes:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Ridemonkey said:
Uh...his "plan" is to make $750,000/yr every year of his working life...nice plan. Yeah, I plan on that too....

Realistically, if he get's a good job at $100k/yr it's going to take 50 years to break even.

Cute idea though.
ya right, except for time/value of money. he wants the money upfront and won't even start paying it back for almost 6 years (he doesn't graduate till Spring 2012). if you invested that 100k at 8% interest, you'd have 160k by the time he graduated.

Then if you had invested it, you'd get $12,800 that year in interest alone. *Assuming* that he landed the dream $200k job right out of college (hahahahahahahahahaha!! :rofl: ) , he'd send you a whopping $4k.

More likely he'll get a job flipping burgers for minimum wage and you'll get a check for 200 bucks. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
bad marketing.
he should have started at 1 buck. that would have given him some media exposure.
and then, network externalities and a bunch of idiots would get him a reasonably interesting price, kinda like the kid selling pixels on a website.