Quantcast

Eccentric Bottom Bracket?

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with eccentric BB on jump bikes?

I know they are often used by the XC singlespeeders (strange breed) but not sure if can withstand DJ/street abuse.

Thanks

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Cannondale makes one of their Chase bikes with an eccentric BB for single speed use.

edit: I guess I could comment on non-DJ EBB use. I do own a SS XC bike that sees some jumping, and I've never had a problem with the EBB slipping. Only thing I'd mention is the constant creaking that develops every few weeks which is only solved by removing the whole EBB and cleaning and regreasing everything. Current system uses a wedge EBB. My next bike to replace this one will use set screws to hold the EBB in place. In all, I think the EBB is a good system, but requires regular maintenence.

I have no experiance with EBBs and jumpers. My jumper has a regular euro style BB, and I use a tensioner to make it SS. When I replace it, I will probably go the route of sliding dropouts.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Good question as EBB will allow for BB height adjustability as well as the CS length. Can it handle street and park abuse? IDK. I know Felt's DJ complete has an EBB. Maybe post something on mtbr.com's singlespeed forum. There seem to be a lot of EBB users there.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
purely guesstimation here:

i really doubt an EBB is gonna handle abuse as well as a normal bb. reading the posts from folks having issues with them on XC forums makes me suspect that they will have a tough time with real hard riding. i realize that some people run EBBs with no problems and an EBB bike could prolly handle occaisional jumping, but for a dedicated jumper go with horizontal drop outs and a bolt on axle.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
peter6061 wrap a layer of teflon plumpers tape around the threads of your ebb, make sure you wrap it so that when it is threaded back in it doesnt back off, and that should solve your creaking problem.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
There are no threads on my EBB. It simply is held in the shell of the frame by two wedges that compress against the inside of the frame when tightened against one another. Sort of like an old 'quill' stem from back in the day. I have thought about teflon tape around the shell, but the frame's being replaced by a set screw version EBB in the coming weeks anyway, so I'll probably just clean it and sell/store it.

peter6061 wrap a layer of teflon plumpers tape around the threads of your ebb, make sure you wrap it so that when it is threaded back in it doesnt back off, and that should solve your creaking problem.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
sorry I meant the actual bottom bracket threads...didnt specify well enough, like you said you can also run some tape around the outside of the ebb also. After reading what I wrote I sounded like a moron who has no idea what he is talking about....lol