Quantcast

Economic downturn finally hits home.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Well I just got out of the company meeting...
Subject: Doom and gloom, continued losses.

End result?
10% paycut across the board
Insurance went from 90% covered to 65%
No more free gym.

It could be a heeluva lot worse.....and it still can be in the months to come.
I need a drink.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
That sucks, man. Next time you are in my neck of the woods, stop by for a drink. I have some killer whiskey I won on a bet

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
TN just took a pay cut. If his insurance gets cut we will be in deep trouble. We are struggling to keep up with medical bills at 90% paid.

I just got notice that our grant has to cut costs by 20% next year. My boss says we'll do it through cutting supply costs but I imagine when the summer time rolls around I won't be going full time like I thought.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It started with pay-cuts for me, too......ten percent first, then fifteen. Two weeks later the line was "hang out at home....don't call us, we'll call you." Two weeks after that, I was heading to the mailbox to get my first ESC check.

The upshot is, lots of time with my son and lots of time at the dirt jumps.

Hang in there....it's hard to imagine it getting any worse.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I have been dealing with no money since October, it blows.

I have been trying to make the best of it, I hope things turn around soon and I start making the big bucks again.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
We just had a shutdown over the holidays, been out since the 19th and went back today. Bad thing is...We work for 2 weeks to build up our stockpiles and the our quarry plus 8 others in NC are layed off for 90 days. My ESC claim had been open since Thanksgiving... :disgust1: Fortunately my skills are in demand around the place so they offered me a 24 hour work week to do some welding/ fabrication jobs that we couldn't begin to tackle during production.

As Hound says...more time to chill with the kids, dig, ride, repeat. Besides I'm still sitting on a good size knot of $$ from my tree service/ stormchasing days .I was actually pretty excited about the layoff...the rest of my crew, not so much.

( Greyhound...I'm hopin this mean I'll finally get to make a much overdo trip out your way:cheers: )

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Without getting into any specifics..... I can tell you that just about everyone is feeling the tightening of the noose. Pretty bad with most folks I know.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Times are really tight right now. Fortunately my business is still up over last year and we're even hiring on a regular basis. I've seen a lot of credit card fraud in recent months though. We lost $2k in fraudulent credit card charges in the 4th quarter of 08 alone. :(

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Well I just got out of the company meeting...
Subject: Doom and gloom, continued losses.

End result?
10% paycut across the board
Insurance went from 90% covered to 65%
No more free gym.

It could be a heeluva lot worse.....and it still can be in the months to come.
I need a drink.
Before I start shipping, you want me to refund the RM Hoody money? You may need more money for booze.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Seriously, everyone hang in there.

We had some less than awesome news about this years business. At least we have each other :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So we can come live at your house for a while?
Get this:

House is currently listed for $239k, but was appraised at $310k.

I made an offer of $210k plus $7k towards closing. The bank has owned this house since August and hasn't gotten a single offer before me.

The listing agent says "Have you been approved by a lender?" Yes, I have been approved by the VA, I will send you a copy of my letter.

The bank looks at my letter and sees the VA approved me for $242k. Not only did they reject my offer of $210k, but they countered with $335k + $7k close!

On top of that the want $3k in earnest money! I gave the title company $1000 when I placed the offer.

If you can get the bank to take $210, you could have one of the rooms upstairs :D Just don't hog the Wii, that's all I ask.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Get this:

I made an offer of $210k plus $7k towards closing. The bank has owned this house since August and hasn't gotten a single offer before me.

The listing agent says "Have you been approved by a lender?" Yes, I have been approved by the VA, I will send you a copy of my letter.

The bank looks at my letter and sees the VA approved me for $242k. Not only did they reject my offer of $210k, but they countered with $335k + $7k close!

On top of that the want $3k in earnest money! I gave the title company $1000 when I placed the offer.

If you can get the bank to take $210, you could have one of the rooms upstairs :D Just don't hog the Wii, that's all I ask.
Did you reply with a smart line like: I only want the one house not the whole block... For the Extra $125K do I get a shiny toaster etc.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd assume that you meant 235k+7k closing, but still, that's outrageous. Tell them you don't feel that it's worth $242k, and outright decline their counter-offer. Then when it hasn't sold in another couple months, offer $199k. :D I wouldn't put stock in "appraised at", the values are all over the board, and if the house has been sitting since August without an offer then it's DEFINITELY not worth 310, and probably not 239k either...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Two words.....
molotov cocktail.

QUOTE=jimmydean;3133440]Get this:

If you can get the bank to take $210, you could have one of the rooms upstairs :D Just don't hog the Wii, that's all I ask.[/QUOTE]

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'd assume that you meant 235k+7k closing, but still, that's outrageous. Tell them you don't feel that it's worth $242k, and outright decline their counter-offer. Then when it hasn't sold in another couple months, offer $199k. :D I wouldn't put stock in "appraised at", the values are all over the board, and if the house has been sitting since August without an offer then it's DEFINITELY not worth 310, and probably not 239k either...
opps, yeah, 235 + 7k close. It's worth (to me) about $210k, maybe less because of the work involved. But it does have all new appliances.

I just got the details on another house we are looking at.

1/20/2004 sold for $163k
5/2/2005 sold for $268k

$105k profit in just over a year! Someone made out like a bandit. Of course it's bank owned now and we wil likely offer $180k.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That sucks, man.

Just work 10% less. Problem solved! :D
Unless they do a productivity analysis before a round of layoffs.
No, its time to keep plugging along and hope I can ride out the storm.

At least I can still drink beer and ride bikes:biggrin:
Although this is gonna end my "frivolous spending"... I was going to get a new DH fork for the first time since '05, but it works and I just can't justify it when my pay is getting cut.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Although this is gonna end my "frivolous spending"... I was going to get a new DH fork for the first time since '05, but it works and I just can't justify it when my pay is getting cut.
I hear you there. I bought a "new" fork last year for my DH rig. It replaces the 2003 Monster T I had :D

Still rocking the '02 GT DHi, though.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

Our beer budget IS our frivilous spending. Just know, you always have a place to stay in the lovely mid-west.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

****damn cookies...TN POSTING (must log out)****
But you got all those big ass rocks out there in SB. I guess you could always walk the fields of baby heads like I did. :disgust1:

_tn

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just watch out for the two guys named Bob, mkay?

Hang in, bro.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I might have it worse off....I received an offer on a new job, gave my notice to my current boss yesterday, only to receive an email 5 minutes later from the new boss basically saying 'hold up....actually, we might have to retract the offer, sorry.'

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I might have it worse off....I received an offer on a new job, gave my notice to my current boss yesterday, only to receive an email 5 minutes later from the new boss basically saying 'hold up....actually, we might have to retract the offer, sorry.'
You might want to try to convince them you were getting an early jump on April Fool's Day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of our customers who accounts for 1/3 of my job responsibilities just announced they are shutting down.
:(

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
That's a major suckie Zark... and to everyone.

I'm scraping by. Starting a new business in the midst of all this turmoil has really drained me. It's a damn good thing I like ramen noodles.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's a major suckie Zark... and to everyone.

I'm scraping by. Starting a new business in the midst of all this turmoil has really drained me. It's a damn good thing I like ramen noodles.
Raise your prices. Seriously.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well my boss is sitting in his office practically in tears. My guess is either he got the chop or the order came down for him to cut heads.